Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 22 Oct 2014, 23:49
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » REQUESTS
About the PPM GUI and package descriptions
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
bpuppy

PostPosted: Mon 28 May 2012, 16:21    Post subject:  About the PPM GUI and package descriptions  

Can anyone improve the PPM display by adding a resizeable header so as to show the complete package description please?

Also, as an ex-MSWindows user (and sooooo glad it is 'ex' user, by the way thank you all for puppy linux!), would it be possible to have pages on a puppy site with proper package presentations meaning screenshots of program, about 200 words package descriptions, author(s), latest version download link, etc.?

Note: After more than 2 years use of Puppy Linux, I now trust it well enough that I removed Windows from my 2 laptops and use Wine of course Smile
I wish Wine was more efficient though...
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Tue 29 May 2012, 21:29    Post subject: Re: About PPM
Subject description: Puppy Linux packages descriptions

bpuppy wrote:
Can anyone improve the PPM display by adding a resizeable header so as to show the complete package description please?

Also, as an ex-MSWindows user (and sooooo glad it is 'ex' user, by the way thank you all for puppy linux!), would it be possible to have pages on a puppy site with proper package presentations meaning screenshots of program, about 200 words package descriptions, author(s), latest version download link, etc.?

Note: After more than 2 years use of Puppy Linux, I now trust it well enough that I removed Windows from my 2 laptops and use Wine of course Smile
I wish Wine was more efficient though...

The Classic user-interface is currently not resize-able, but the Ziggy UI is (see Configure window in PPM).

If you click on a package entry, another window pops up, with a "More info" button. That displays lots of extra info about the pkg.

bpuppy

PostPosted: Wed 30 May 2012, 01:04    Post subject:  

Well Hi Barry,
I didn't think I would be chating with the man himself.
Thanks for taking the time to answer my 'little' request, it says a lot about what kind of man you are... and I appreciate that. Very Happy

By the way, I was a Commodore64 user and hobby programmer as you may well have been yourself too or are you younger than I (61)? Oh, I guess it may be out of line for a woman to ask for a man's age... is it? Permission granted to PM me Wink.

Now, back to the PPM... I'll say I prefer the classic layout if you ask me. Too bad the header is not resizable. It's probably a gtk limitation?

Anyway, thank you again so much for taking the Windows' pain out of my life by providing the great Puppy Linux alternative.

Long Live Puppy!
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Wed 30 May 2012, 04:54    Post subject:  

The Classic UI could probably be resizable too, it is just that my knowledge of gtkdialog is rudimentary.

It's no secret, I'm 62. I never had a Commodore 64 though. I had various microcontroller evaluation boards in the 70's. My first desktop computer was one of the very first Apple Macs to arrive in Australia. My second was a IBM PC no-brand clone, 286 CPU.

bpuppy

PostPosted: Wed 30 May 2012, 11:40    Post subject:  

I see you were quite involved in the digital revolution. You bring about sweet memories...

Back around 1986, I soldered and assembled a 16-bit programmable unit, I guess we could call it a microcontroller too, which was to be used in class for my friend who was an electronic teacher. The unit had a small one-line scrolling display and all I/O was in hexadecimal notation. It was fun!

Oh well, it's been nice chatting with you and I will not impose on your precious time. Keep up the good work.

Long Live Puppy Linux!
mave

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jun 2012, 13:36    Post subject:  PPM: search with no result: dialog bug  

Hi,

using PPM in Racy 5.3 gets this search result, if word/package not available (see jpg).

Is there a fixed version?
ppm_search_racy53.jpg
 Description   Searching.... uuups!
 Filesize   68.11 KB
 Viewed   300 Time(s)

ppm_search_racy53.jpg

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sat 02 Jun 2012, 21:09    Post subject:  

You can get all the latest files in /usr/local/petget from here:

http://bkhome.org/fossil/woof2.cgi/dir?ci=530dac87980d05ed&name=woof-code/rootfs-skeleton/usr/local/petget

Or, I have attached them, you will need to replace /usr/local/petget.

Note however, that it could be broken because of a faulty German translation. Perhaps change to en_US first then test, if fixed, contact L18L who is the de translator.
petget.tar.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  petget.tar.gz 
Filesize  77.93 KB 
Downloaded  190 Time(s) 

L18L

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jun 2012, 11:56    Post subject: About the PPM GUI and package descriptions
Subject description: Re: PPM: search with no result: dialog bug

mave wrote:
Hi,

using PPM in Racy 5.3 gets this search result, if word/package not available (see jpg).

Is there a fixed version?

BarryK wrote:
You can get all the latest files in /usr/local/petget from here:

http://bkhome.org/fossil/woof2.cgi/dir?ci=530dac87980d05ed&name=woof-code/rootfs-skeleton/usr/local/petget

Or, I have attached them, you will need to replace /usr/local/petget.

Note however, that it could be broken because of a faulty German translation. Perhaps change to en_US first then test, if fixed, contact L18L who is the de translator.

A faulty translation should fall back to English only I think.

In latest Precise Puppy ( 5.2.60 ) there is no dialog bug.
BTW: I had reported that bug before in another context in
PPM does not reflect packages that distro developers add
ppm.png
 Description   
 Filesize   27.64 KB
 Viewed   291 Time(s)

ppm.png

Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » REQUESTS
Jump to: