About the PPM GUI and package descriptions

Requests go here. If you fill a request, give it a new thread in the appropriate category and then link to it in the request thread.
bpuppy

#1 Post by bpuppy »

Can anyone improve the PPM display by adding a resizeable header so as to show the complete package description please?

Also, as an ex-MSWindows user (and sooooo glad it is 'ex' user, by the way thank you all for puppy linux!), would it be possible to have pages on a puppy site with proper package presentations meaning screenshots of program, about 200 words package descriptions, author(s), latest version download link, etc.?

Note: After more than 2 years use of Puppy Linux, I now trust it well enough that I removed Windows from my 2 laptops and use Wine of course :)
I wish Wine was more efficient though...

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: About PPM

#2 Post by BarryK »

bpuppy wrote:Can anyone improve the PPM display by adding a resizeable header so as to show the complete package description please?

Also, as an ex-MSWindows user (and sooooo glad it is 'ex' user, by the way thank you all for puppy linux!), would it be possible to have pages on a puppy site with proper package presentations meaning screenshots of program, about 200 words package descriptions, author(s), latest version download link, etc.?

Note: After more than 2 years use of Puppy Linux, I now trust it well enough that I removed Windows from my 2 laptops and use Wine of course :)
I wish Wine was more efficient though...
The Classic user-interface is currently not resize-able, but the Ziggy UI is (see Configure window in PPM).

If you click on a package entry, another window pops up, with a "More info" button. That displays lots of extra info about the pkg.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

bpuppy

#3 Post by bpuppy »

Well Hi Barry,
I didn't think I would be chating with the man himself.
Thanks for taking the time to answer my 'little' request, it says a lot about what kind of man you are... and I appreciate that. :D

By the way, I was a Commodore64 user and hobby programmer as you may well have been yourself too or are you younger than I (61)? Oh, I guess it may be out of line for a woman to ask for a man's age... is it? Permission granted to PM me :wink:.

Now, back to the PPM... I'll say I prefer the classic layout if you ask me. Too bad the header is not resizable. It's probably a gtk limitation?

Anyway, thank you again so much for taking the Windows' pain out of my life by providing the great Puppy Linux alternative.

Long Live Puppy!

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

The Classic UI could probably be resizable too, it is just that my knowledge of gtkdialog is rudimentary.

It's no secret, I'm 62. I never had a Commodore 64 though. I had various microcontroller evaluation boards in the 70's. My first desktop computer was one of the very first Apple Macs to arrive in Australia. My second was a IBM PC no-brand clone, 286 CPU.

bpuppy

#5 Post by bpuppy »

I see you were quite involved in the digital revolution. You bring about sweet memories...

Back around 1986, I soldered and assembled a 16-bit programmable unit, I guess we could call it a microcontroller too, which was to be used in class for my friend who was an electronic teacher. The unit had a small one-line scrolling display and all I/O was in hexadecimal notation. It was fun!

Oh well, it's been nice chatting with you and I will not impose on your precious time. Keep up the good work.

Long Live Puppy Linux!

mave

PPM: search with no result: dialog bug

#6 Post by mave »

Hi,

using PPM in Racy 5.3 gets this search result, if word/package not available (see jpg).

Is there a fixed version?
Attachments
ppm_search_racy53.jpg
Searching.... uuups!
(68.11 KiB) Downloaded 361 times

BarryK
Puppy Master

#7 Post by BarryK »

You can get all the latest files in /usr/local/petget from here:

http://bkhome.org/fossil/woof2.cgi/dir? ... cal/petget

Or, I have attached them, you will need to replace /usr/local/petget.

Note however, that it could be broken because of a faulty German translation. Perhaps change to en_US first then test, if fixed, contact L18L who is the de translator.
Attachments
petget.tar.gz
(77.93 KiB) Downloaded 340 times

L18L

#8 Post by L18L »

mave wrote:Hi,

using PPM in Racy 5.3 gets this search result, if word/package not available (see jpg).

Is there a fixed version?
BarryK wrote:You can get all the latest files in /usr/local/petget from here:

http://bkhome.org/fossil/woof2.cgi/dir? ... cal/petget

Or, I have attached them, you will need to replace /usr/local/petget.

Note however, that it could be broken because of a faulty German translation. Perhaps change to en_US first then test, if fixed, contact L18L who is the de translator.
A faulty translation should fall back to English only I think.

In latest Precise Puppy ( 5.2.60 ) there is no dialog bug.
BTW: I had reported that bug before in another context in
PPM does not reflect packages that distro developers add
Attachments
ppm.png
(27.64 KiB) Downloaded 355 times