Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
ICPUG

#3261 Post by ICPUG »

OK - If they are only guaranteed to work with Saluki I understand why you put them here.

I'm not fed up with more apps for Saluki. I'm fed up with this thread being predominantly about apps and not about getting Saluki tested and released.

Geoffrey

#3262 Post by Geoffrey »

ICPUG wrote:OK - If they are only guaranteed to work with Saluki I understand why you put them here.

I'm not fed up with more apps for Saluki. I'm fed up with this thread being predominantly about apps and not about getting Saluki tested and released.
Yeah I know it as stalled so it seems , I think Jemimah's real life is her priority at the moment,
that's why I've been posting these apps, I have already asked if it was ok the post them, the response seemed to be positive,
this thread will slow once development moves to the new website, so I couldn't see the point in starting a new thread
when it was aimed at saluki anyway, a majority of the other puppy distro's update there software in the same thread,
I know a few others are trying these apps with a some success but only with the apps that don't require gnome-keyring
and true transparency, I'm finding it hard to find anymore now, so I thought I had better find as many as I could before they disappear,
there are lot's of dead links with some apps vanished never to be seen again.

l2ulinux

Saluki

#3263 Post by l2ulinux »

One thing everyone should understand that it takes time and money to build SALUKI.
I understand that Jemimah has to work to have the money for the time to go forward with SALUKI. She has a JOB that is taking almost all of her time. When she completes it then she will have the time to work more on SALUKI
If you complain then always feel free to make donations.... to help!!!!
Last edited by l2ulinux on Wed 30 May 2012, 07:25, edited 1 time in total.

Geoffrey

#3264 Post by Geoffrey »

AdobeAIR Screenboard, a transparent whiteboard for the desktop, handy, draw on the desktop then take a screenshot.
Attachments
screenboard.jpg
(134.35 KiB) Downloaded 1436 times

Geoffrey

#3265 Post by Geoffrey »

AdobeAIR Caliper.
The Calilper floats above other applications on screen and can be used to measure anything on your monitor
Attachments
caliper.jpg
(51.05 KiB) Downloaded 1420 times

mavrothal

#3266 Post by mavrothal »

Geoffrey wrote:
ICPUG wrote:OK Geoffrey - I'm getting fed up now.

I come to this thread to find out about Saluki progress not to see endless lists of Adobe Air apps - which is all we have had since yesterday.

Do they only work with Saluki?

Please think about putting them in a separate thread.
ICPUG, thanks for the comment, yes they are for Saluki that's why they are here, some will work in other pups,
but most need real transparency, there is no point putting them anywhere else as they need testing,
so far no complaints until now, how can you be fed-up with getting more software for saluki.
Geoffrey,
the last 11 pages of this huge thread have a lot AdobeAir apps scattered among other Saluki stuff.
There are 2 problems with it, is harder to find them and is harder to find Saluki-proper stuff.
What about a thread entitled "AdobeAir apps for Saluki" where posted apps can be catalogued new ones added and "problematic" ones be discussed?...
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

Geoffrey

#3267 Post by Geoffrey »

mavrothal wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:
ICPUG wrote:OK Geoffrey - I'm getting fed up now.

I come to this thread to find out about Saluki progress not to see endless lists of Adobe Air apps - which is all we have had since yesterday.

Do they only work with Saluki?

Please think about putting them in a separate thread.
ICPUG, thanks for the comment, yes they are for Saluki that's why they are here, some will work in other pups,
but most need real transparency, there is no point putting them anywhere else as they need testing,
so far no complaints until now, how can you be fed-up with getting more software for saluki.
Geoffrey,
the last 11 pages of this huge thread have a lot AdobeAir apps scattered among other Saluki stuff.
There are 2 problems with it, is harder to find them and is harder to find Saluki-proper stuff.
What about a thread entitled "AdobeAir apps for Saluki" where posted apps can be catalogued new ones added and "problematic" ones be discussed?...
mavrothal,

looking back over the last 11 pages or so I find very little in the way of development discussion,

I've tried my best to keep the apps grouped together as to not interfere with any on going discussions that may be in progress,

I feel that I have managed to do that, I have a list that was requested so the AdobeAIR apps would be easily found here,

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 376#627376 I update this from time to time,

I've kept the layout of the posts in a uniform fashion as to make it easy to discern between the app and the discussion,

all I'm trying to do here is help give Saluki a larger choice of applications for the repository,

I don't feel I'm taking away from the discussion, if there is anything to discus I'm there for that also, this is the only thread for Saluki,

not only are there those who are technically minded but everyday users also check out the thread to see how it has progressed

and to be able to see that it is that little bit different form the run of the mill Puppy distro, must be a good thing,

think of it as a interlude, a time for thought, for surely we can't be that serious, wheres the fun in that.

If others find it a problem then I'll request to have the AdobeAIR app's relocated to a new thread,

I won't post any more until I get a yea or nay to continue or not.

Not that there would be many more, I'm kind of scraping the bottom of the barrel now trying to locate any that actually work,

oliverjames, I did find a list of 22 twitter apps, are you interested :lol:

Cheers, Geoffrey

jim3630

#3268 Post by jim3630 »

Geoffrey wrote:[

Cheers, Geoffrey
Geoffrey

thanks for posting these apps. appreciate you work. like any pets for a pup think should be here as you have out lined and hope you continue providing us your gift of free work.

Billtoo

#3269 Post by Billtoo »

Here's the latest Audacious music player as of May 26th 2012.
Compiled and tested in Saluki 022, the plugins include extrastereo plus others.
Attachments
audacious_NLS-3.2.3-i686.pet
(183.89 KiB) Downloaded 406 times

Geoffrey

#3270 Post by Geoffrey »

Here is a Qt cross stitch program crosti, any one handy with a needle and thread might like this, compiled in Saluki, language English and Russian. https://sites.google.com/site/crostiapp/
Attachments
pupcross_stitch.jpg
(63.1 KiB) Downloaded 1016 times

TTW

#3271 Post by TTW »

Geoffrey wrote:

Not that there would be many more, I'm kind of scraping the bottom of the barrel now trying to locate any that actually work,

Cheers, Geoffrey
Geoffrey
Personally thanks for your contribution

Might I suggest that these apps are collected into one new thread on the Saluki-linux.com forum?
That might help the momemtum move from here to there

TTW

TTW

#3272 Post by TTW »

OOps double post - one edited out

Geoffrey

#3273 Post by Geoffrey »

TTW wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:

Cheers, Geoffrey
Geoffrey
Personally thanks for your contribution

Might I suggest that these apps are collected into one new thread on the Saluki-linux.com forum?
That might help the momemtum move from here to there

TTW
Hi TTW,

Sounds good to me, but what to do with the app's posted here, should I have a moderator move them elsewhere,
do you think this thread should become app free, with all new apps posted at Saluki-linux.com from now on.

Is it at all possible to upload to the new site yet or is that still being worked out, if not I will need to sort the files that I have at smokey01.com and just link to them,
but they will eventually be added to the repo and it would be an idea to have them stored elsewhere as a safeguard.

I think what as happened here shows the need to make the transfer to the new site as soon as practically possible,
I really didn't see the sense in starting a new thread for these app this late in the game, especially with the changeover being imminent.

I apologize for abrupt responses about my postings, but I don't respond well to the manner that in which they were given.

Cheers Geoff

8-bit

#3274 Post by 8-bit »

Geoffery,
I tried out your cross stitch program in Puppy lupu 5.20 and it works there also.
But the window called Cross Stitch remains blank.
I did not try to print the pattern.
I have used another cross stitch program that prints out the original picture, the thread chart, and the cross stitch layout pattern.

Does the one you submitted do the same?

I should also mention that the one I use also steps you through the entire process from choosing the picture to saving or printing the result of one's efforts.

It is called Crossstitch.exe and I run it under wine.

Dromeno

air, gnome keyring and isurveill

#3275 Post by Dromeno »

If adobe air can be made into a sfs or pet which works in lucid then all the air apps from this thread can be moved to the apprpriate location on this forum.

Saluki forum? Of course, they should be posted there as well. But I think "puppy linux" is better known than "saluki". So the puppy linux forum draws more visitors. I do not see a good reason to give every puplet its own forum. Where do you stop separating communities? Forums are not maintenance free. Maintenance takes time, and time is in short supply here (remember what happened with the puppeee forum?).

anyway... back to the apps...I like isurveill. But how do I change the settings like the destination dir for the photos? It seems the app only asks it once an then I am stuck with its settings.

I would also like to be able to reset the gnome key ring. Just in case that I want to create a new puplet with the universal installer for a friend - then I need to make one without my password in it right?

Geoffrey

#3276 Post by Geoffrey »

8-bit wrote:Geoffery,
I tried out your cross stitch program in Puppy lupu 5.20 and it works there also.
But the window called Cross Stitch remains blank.
I did not try to print the pattern.
I have used another cross stitch program that prints out the original picture, the thread chart, and the cross stitch layout pattern.

Does the one you submitted do the same?

I should also mention that the one I use also steps you through the entire process from choosing the picture to saving or printing the result of one's efforts.

It is called Crossstitch.exe and I run it under wine.
Hi 8bit,

Your right , it was blank, but if you click the blue icon on the left-hand side it adds the image and It printed ok

Though I wouldn't print the scheme on paper, it would be better to print that to pdf so that it can be read, I tried on paper but it would need to be printed on multiple sheet to be readable.

When I saw that application I thought that it might be ok for the kids, as they like doing cross stitch and I might get a couple of cushion covers out of it, puppy one's of course. :)
Attachments
crossstitch.jpg
(31.34 KiB) Downloaded 1278 times

Geoffrey

Re: air, gnome keyring and isurveill

#3277 Post by Geoffrey »

Dromeno wrote:If adobe air can be made into a sfs or pet which works in lucid then all the air apps from this thread can be moved to the apprpriate location on this forum.

Saluki forum? Of course, they should be posted there as well. But I think "puppy linux" is better known than "saluki". So the puppy linux forum draws more visitors. I do not see a good reason to give every puplet its own forum. Where do you stop separating communities? Forums are not maintenance free. Maintenance takes time, and time is in short supply here (remember what happened with the puppeee forum?).

anyway... back to the apps...I like isurveill. But how do I change the settings like the destination dir for the photos? It seems the app only asks it once an then I am stuck with its settings.

I would also like to be able to reset the gnome key ring. Just in case that I want to create a new puplet with the universal installer for a friend - then I need to make one without my password in it right?
Hi Dromeno,

Thats possible, the the AdobeAIR SDK is a portlable version, flash needs to be installed though and
as far as applications go only the ones that don't rely on gnome-keyring and true transparency would be universal,
which does shorten the list of what is available, should be able to run anything that has it's own window,
all the boarder-less apps are desktop widgets that use true transparency.

To reset isurveill delete /root/.appdata/Adobe/ELS/at.chrillo.iSurveill that seems to do it,
though I noticed it won't let you create a save directory in /root and
if you want to reset the gnome_keyring password delete /root/.gnome2/keyrings
You will need to restartx, then create the new directory or password.

By the way, how did that PreziDesktop pan out for you, worked ok I hope.

Dromeno

gtkPod2 request

#3278 Post by Dromeno »

I will post this at the saluki forum later... (I am in a hurry now) but gtkPod2 is not working yet on Saluki (missing libs). With the beauty of Saluki (very mac like) I feel it should be friendly for iPads and iPods too...

smokey01

Re: gtkPod2 request

#3279 Post by smokey01 »

Dromeno wrote:I will post this at the saluki forum later... (I am in a hurry now) but gtkPod2 is not working yet on Saluki (missing libs). With the beauty of Saluki (very mac like) I feel it should be friendly for iPads and iPods too...
Is it working elsewhere? which distro?

Tasgarth

#3280 Post by Tasgarth »

smokey01 wrote
Is it working elsewhere? which distro?
http://www.saluki-linux.com/