Mele 1000 - HDMI support

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
Ted Dog

Mele 1000 - HDMI support

#1 Post by Ted Dog »

For those of us with un-supported HDMI here are a few evb,bin files for different setups.
Attachments
evb.bin.gz
VGA 1024x768
(6.97 KiB) Downloaded 1175 times
Last edited by Ted Dog on Fri 25 May 2012, 18:18, edited 1 time in total.

Ted Dog

FextoBin

#2 Post by Ted Dog »

takes the Fex text file and converts output to bin version used in mele 1000

This version is for x86 puppies,

Mele executable pet version is here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 180#630180
Attachments
sys_config1.evb.fex.gz
Fex File with more text explaining uses.
(9.75 KiB) Downloaded 1073 times
fexc.gz
fex2bin bin2fex are linked to fexc
(21.27 KiB) Downloaded 1094 times
Last edited by Ted Dog on Mon 28 May 2012, 02:01, edited 1 time in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

Ted Dog,
Great that you have started this technical Mele thread.

I am working on x86 Precise Puppy right now, and I kind of regret that I can't stick with just the one topic and have to jump to different things.

But, I hope to get back to the Mele soon. Hopefully, we will be able to get Precise Puppy running on the Mele, so my current work is going to be useful for the ARM port also.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Ted Dog

#4 Post by Ted Dog »

I'm just glad I did not get a 100.00 paperweight (Mele so light it would make a poor paper weight) I found a '90s era VGA cable in my shed and its so heavy it causes the Mele to tip backward like its doing a wheelie.
If you could check the setting for 60Hz HDMI as the default verses the 50Hz. The next image may be more compatible to North American users.

The composite setting is interesting it look like it has the backdrop as a Chroma key.
Hope to figure out SATA drive and oddities with the script wrappers.

After fighting the part Chinese and part English Mele hodgepodge it was refreshing to see and have regular puppyLinux over the default software.
I'll be with family a lot this long weekend, so I'll post other evb's late Monday.

I'm taking requests for evb resolutions (PAL, NTSC, VGA, HDMI etc) people would like to try. Hope to find the ones most universal.

raffy

hdmi to dvi

#5 Post by raffy »

Thanks, ted, will try it in my hdmi to dvi setup when my a1000 arrives.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

BarryK
Puppy Master

#6 Post by BarryK »

The last kernel that I compiled did recognise the sata drive. So it is a kernel driver problem, not an evb.bin problem.

I haven't got around to uploading an sd image with that, or I could even just create a pet with the kernel and modules.

But, I was holding back as on the arm-netbook list they were reporting errors using sata.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Ted Dog

Sata drive

#7 Post by Ted Dog »

It will be nice to see if speed improves running from SATA over SD.

I'm thinking of writing a widget to setup changing resolution and higher res graphics, running NTSC or PAL via composite RCA jacks as the second X windows screen that way we would always have a fallback to confirm boot.
There are something odd with color disappearing in NTSC mode.
I had a TCC made for ARM based kindle hope it is compatible

Conn

Use me

#8 Post by Conn »

Hello people,

I'm new in Puppy community and this is my first post. I've used PuppyLinux 2.x and loved it. I've recently started a robotics project and while looking for optional hardware I discovered ARM world. Anyways, I've bought several "paper weights" and loved Mele! Actually I'm watching a 1080p movie right now.

I was about to install ArchLinux on it but after spending a whole week on Puppy forum and Barry's blog I decided to use Puppy from now on. You people are great!

I ran many tests and can perform others if you people would like to know more about the device. I'll be glad if I can help.

Cheers,
Conn

Ted Dog

VGA 1280x1024 evb

#9 Post by Ted Dog »

Here is a evb.bin to start Mele A1000 in 1280x1024 VGA mode.
(largest my good o'VGA monitor can go)
Attachments
evb.bin.gz
1280x1024 VGA
(6.97 KiB) Downloaded 1012 times

Ted Dog

First Mele PET

#10 Post by Ted Dog »

Hate to switch the SD card between two machines so I read up on dir2pet and made a version of Fexc that executes on the MeLe A1000 itself.

Includes configuration PDF & Fex text file (setting) so its larger than the expected.

My MeLe boots in NTSC, hopefully I did not leave that setting 'ON' user be aware. :oops:

Ted Dog

How to open Mele HD case

#11 Post by Ted Dog »

The bare laptop hard drive jutting out of the top port looked ugly. But I could not find directions. Tried fingernails & thin blades but no luck opening that darn case.

Place case with the MELE name on top and readable (not upside down text) hold the bottom with right palm and top with left palm. Press down slightly between palms, move left palm (top side) away from body and right palm toward body. fit Hard-drive in label side up.

:wink:

bossesand

Multichannel sound player and ambisonic surround decoder

#12 Post by bossesand »

Is it possible to test compile these 2 packages and their dependencies?

http://packages.debian.org/unstable/ambdec
Ambisonic decoder

http://packages.debian.org/hu/sid/potamus
Media Player for multichannel sound files, can be used without ambisonic decoder.

These programs need jack for sound routing, It would be great to have them available on a lowcost A8 platform to be able to use as 2 and 3D surround playing appliance using the 8 HDMI sound channels.

I hope it is possible to get this running when hdmi sound is working as the packages are debian based.

1920 x 1080 50Hz with 8 HDMI sound channels is my future environment.

Best regards
Bosse

Ted Dog

Auto starts after power failure.

#13 Post by Ted Dog »

I'll give it a try both source files are small. Debian may also have prebuild arm verisons some times. We already have a Potamus like player in puppy.

One thing I noticed was with the SD card left in the Mele will restart automatically if you unplug then replug A/C, even if you had it turned off.

Would make a great WiFi access point, or server of any type.

Ted Dog

ambdec Makefile x86 centric

#14 Post by Ted Dog »

The Makefile for ambdec gets confused expects only x86 or x86_64 setup (line 23). Was able to 'HARDCODE' arm settings to get past that problem, but this calls other files and many many TYPE and scope errors, and a few void declares = SCARY TRICKY CODE!

NOT a No but strongly leaning that way. :cry:

So on to try Potamus.

Ted Dog

Potamus Configure

#15 Post by Ted Dog »

Potamus is well written, the configure file gave these problems

requirements not meet, glib-2.0 gtk+-2.0 libglade-2.0, gthread-2.0 ao jack ...

Jack is a requirement for both programs, and not in puppy, glib-2.0 does exist but configure does not 'see' it, maybe looking for it in a different place.

Puppy's Pmusic would most likely fill Potamus role, The other program works with mplayer (that is included and does work from the command line in MeLe Lui version 0.0.1 Beta)

Ted Dog

Strange IP PORT Network Stats

#16 Post by Ted Dog »

Other puppies do not have this. It goes to RackSpace in my local region but unsure what it is.

tcp 0 1 192.168.1.4:38799 to:

50.56.167.255:80 state=FIN_WAIT

can't ping or traceroute.
:shock:

Ted Dog

Charging Amps

#17 Post by Ted Dog »

I have a number of small electronic devices that charge with a USB cable. Most can't charge on regular computer USB because of limits per port. However, there does not appear to be such a setup on the MeLe. Had two devices charging and then played a video from USB powered harddrive the VGA colors started to fade :P
May need to find a way to measure volt drops on the 5V to keep from getting into trouble.
To save energy (for other uses) I tried to underclocked the Mele by half 500Mz, booting and shutdown was about twice as slow, but running could not see much difference most likely do to a slow SD card.

aarf

#18 Post by aarf »

<duplicate removed by aarf>
Last edited by aarf on Thu 31 May 2012, 14:04, edited 1 time in total.

Conn

Hit a rock

#19 Post by Conn »

Hello again,

DD'ed mele-sd-4gb-skeleton-20120506.img on a Toshiba 4GB SD. When I try to boot from SD none of the output device shows anything. So I can't even understand if it boots or not. (tried my HD TV that I've watched my movies with Mele yesterday, a standard LCD monitor, an HD LCD with VGA port, my old CRT TV with RCA port). Nothing comes up.

If I try to boot it from internal flash, it just prints "Loading Please Wait" and stays like this forever. It prints out the Mele logo and a please wait screen so I can't say it's 100% bricked but it doesn't boot anymore, not from SD Puppy not even Android...

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Conn

Ted Dog

Frozen Mele 1000

#20 Post by Ted Dog »

That is not good conn. First pull out the power cord, parts of Mele are still alive even when 'off'. Second using linux to view the /tmp files of the SD for content. If it has stuff in /tmp it made it past the 'boot' apart of puppy. Copy those files to a place to investigate. If nothing then the Mele may have tried to upgrade itself and something happened. There is a windows utility and method with USB to replace the boot load, but I have not tried it. If you have to go that route, report back what all was involved.
Also if you had internet working and now you do not, it will take extra long to boot past that loading message.
general instructions for unbricking (not written for mele be sure to get the correct img)
http://elinux.org/Hack_A10_devices