Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 24 Jul 2014, 19:25
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Multimedia
LMMS 0.4.10 pet
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Author Message
sheepy


Joined: 06 May 2011
Posts: 235
Location: GA

PostPosted: Tue 29 May 2012, 04:29    Post_subject:  LMMS 0.4.10 pet  

Here is LMMS 0.4.10, tested in Lucid 525. I have yet to encounter any bugs or crashes with it like in the old 0.4.5. This is not cut-down, it is the full version. Smile
http://www.datafilehost.com/download-5c4ca1f6.html

Pet Contains:
libfftw3-3_3.2.2-1
libqt4-xml_4.7.2-0ubuntu6.3
libqtcore4_4.7.2-0ubuntu6.3
libqtgui4_4.7.2-0ubuntu6.3
lmms-common_0.4.10-1ubuntu2_all
lmms_0.4.10-1ubuntu2

Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
RSH


Joined: 05 Sep 2011
Posts: 2285
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Tue 29 May 2012, 19:19    Post_subject:  

Hi!

Tried to make a sfs of your pet - did not work completely!

The .pet does not contain a applications directory and it does not contain a .desktop file (menu entry) Sad

_________________
LazY Puppy
RSH's DNA
SARA B.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
sheepy


Joined: 06 May 2011
Posts: 235
Location: GA

PostPosted: Tue 29 May 2012, 19:51    Post_subject:  

RSH wrote:
Hi!

Tried to make a sfs of your pet - did not work completely!

The .pet does not contain a applications directory and it does not contain a .desktop file (menu entry) Sad

Ahh, correct. I never made the the .desktop file. Whoops, I tend to forget about that because I do not use the Puppy pinboard, haha. The application itself runs perfectly though. Smile

Edited_time_total
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
darkcity


Joined: 23 May 2010
Posts: 2424
Location: near here

PostPosted: Wed 30 May 2012, 04:58    Post_subject:  

isn't a .desktop file also required to create a menu entry?
_________________
helping Wiki for help | IF SendSpace link = "dead" THEN PM me ("up file to http://meownplanet.net/")
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
RSH


Joined: 05 Sep 2011
Posts: 2285
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Wed 30 May 2012, 19:17    Post_subject:  

darkcity wrote:
isn't a .desktop file also required to create a menu entry?

Yes, the .desktop file in /usr/share/applications is required to create a menu entry and imho a program that uses a GUI like lmms should have a menu entry because it is NOT a terminal application.

I do really hate this stuff by now. If you found at least a program that works, you can bet your ass, that there's something wrong with the .desktop file. Wrong icon or icon path, no translations etc.pp.

For a coder, tweaker, programmer etc. it might be ok, to use, test and run a application typing its name into the terminal.

But for a user it is uncomfortable, unacceptable and really not helpful to run the application after installing it. Usually a user looks into the menu for an application to run and NOT into the terminal.

Sorry, but i think: GUI applications without a .desktop file (menu entry) should be autoatically removed from the forum - this SUCCS! Evil or Very Mad

_________________
LazY Puppy
RSH's DNA
SARA B.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
sheepy


Joined: 06 May 2011
Posts: 235
Location: GA

PostPosted: Wed 30 May 2012, 22:36    Post_subject:  

RSH wrote:
darkcity wrote:
isn't a .desktop file also required to create a menu entry?

Yes, the .desktop file in /usr/share/applications is required to create a menu entry and imho a program that uses a GUI like lmms should have a menu entry because it is NOT a terminal application.

I do really hate this stuff by now. If you found at least a program that works, you can bet your ass, that there's something wrong with the .desktop file. Wrong icon or icon path, no translations etc.pp.

For a coder, tweaker, programmer etc. it might be ok, to use, test and run a application typing its name into the terminal.

But for a user it is uncomfortable, unacceptable and really not helpful to run the application after installing it. Usually a user looks into the menu for an application to run and NOT into the terminal.

Sorry, but i think: GUI applications without a .desktop file (menu entry) should be autoatically removed from the forum - this SUCCS! Evil or Very Mad


My apologies for not including the .desktop file. I do not use the default xdg menu (I use my own openbox menu). It does not contain a .desktop file because I ported it directly from Debian packages.

If you do not like it, simply do not download it or convert it to a tgz, extract it, create and add a .desktop file in /usr/share/applications/, and repack it with dir2pet. The real challenge of porting things is figuring out exactly which dependencies it requires and putting all the dependencies and packages together.

Increasing puppy's compatibility is a collective effort to improve puppy for all. There is no need to bash just because I forgot to include a .desktop file (especially when I do not use them), but thank you anyway.

Here is your .desktop file. Enjoy -_-
http://www.datafilehost.com/download-a3419c5c.html

Also:
RSH wrote:
I do really hate this stuff by now. If you found at least a program that works, you can bet your ass, that there's something wrong with the .desktop file. Wrong icon or icon path, no translations etc.pp.

That is because most programs are usually being ported from another package format (debian, slackware, rpm, etc.), which do not use .desktop files. The .desktop file is native to puppy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
darkcity


Joined: 23 May 2010
Posts: 2424
Location: near here

PostPosted: Thu 31 May 2012, 05:02    Post_subject:    

@Sheepy - I appreciate the hard work to get the program running. Please don't take my comment as a bash. I was just curious about different menu systems - how do you add things to your OpenBox menu?

@RSH - I think you went too far in criticizing Sheepy. He simply forgot to include the .desktop file. May be you miss understood what e said?

_________________
helping Wiki for help | IF SendSpace link = "dead" THEN PM me ("up file to http://meownplanet.net/")
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
sheepy


Joined: 06 May 2011
Posts: 235
Location: GA

PostPosted: Thu 31 May 2012, 05:37    Post_subject:  

darkcity wrote:
@Sheepy - I appreciate the hard work to get the program running. Please don't take my comment as a bash. I was just curious about different menu systems - how do you add things to your OpenBox menu?

@RSH - I think you went too far in criticizing Sheepy. He simply forgot to include the .desktop file. May be you miss understood what e said?

Thank you, I appreciate you very much.
To modify the Openbox menu, you must edit the config file in /root/.config/openbox/menu.xml To make it easier, there is a GUI to modify it called ObMenu.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
RSH


Joined: 05 Sep 2011
Posts: 2285
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Thu 31 May 2012, 11:54    Post_subject:  

Hello to all.

Sorry to be misunderstood, but i did not criticize Sheepy, even if you understand it this way.

I do criticize stuf like that generally!

Approximately 30% of the time i did invest in making the LazY Puppy has to do with editing/refining the .desktop files (menu entries)

Sheepy wrote:
I never made the the .desktop file.

How could this be misunderstood by anyone?

Sheepy wrote:
That is because most programs are usually being ported from another package format (debian, slackware, rpm, etc.), which do not use .desktop files. The .desktop file is native to puppy.

Well, i am not a Linux Expert in general, but i can say: this is not the truth. I do use kubuntu (sometimes, less, less, sometimes) and Kubuntu uses the .desktop files also. There is also a general list of menu categories available on the web - so this means to me: there are more linux OS's that uses the .desktop file. Not only Kubuntu and Puppy.

And do you know what? Kubuntu has the same f... problems/issues with the .desktop files. Donwloading, configuring and installing the wanted applications into Kubuntu takes less than 2 hours. Refining the .desktop files of Kubuntu did take at least more than one day.

I also do appreciate every work done on a application that works. But we are not all tweakers. I did have over 200 Downloads in the last 10 Days on LazY Puppy, but only two or three users to post in the LazY Puppy thread. So there are 197 people who did not want to act as a tweaker but as a user.

I think: not to add a .desktop file after the whole hard work to get an application running, is like fixing a bike without checking the brakes - wich means: you did not do the job completely.

Sometimes i feel like this forum is a bit like facebook. If you do post and/or represent unpopular "meanings" (views?) your "friends" counter will move rapidly to the basement.

So, Sheepy: i am not criticizing you, i criticize stuff like this in general. And only that way "this SUCCS" should be understood.

Sheepy wrote:
To modify the Openbox menu, you must edit the config file in /root/.config/openbox/menu.xml To make it easier, there is a GUI to modify it called ObMenu.

In my experience the openbox menu (/root/.config/openbox/menu.xml) is generated automatically by /usr/bin/obmenu-refresh. If you are editing /root/.config/openbox/menu.xml manually, the changes will be gone after the next "fixmenus" is called.

Sheepy wrote:
There is no need to bash just because I forgot to include a .desktop file (especially when I do not use them), but thank you anyway.

The only thing i really do not understand is: what has bash (bourne again shell) to do with all of this? Does "bash" have another meaning also?

_________________
LazY Puppy
RSH's DNA
SARA B.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
darkcity


Joined: 23 May 2010
Posts: 2424
Location: near here

PostPosted: Thu 31 May 2012, 17:38    Post_subject:  

Hi RSH,

I think you did misunderstand because the next sentence is important, I've read the posts a few times so I hope I'm correct

Quote:
I never made the the .desktop file. Whoops, I tend to forget about that because I do not use the Puppy pinboard, haha.


Sheepy response was

confirming .desktop missing,
reason - I forgot to include it
I happen not to use .desktop


not

confirming .desktop missing,
reason - I don't want to include it
I don't use .desktop so I don't care


bash = to ridicule

Quote:
Sorry, but i think: GUI applications without a .desktop file (menu entry) should be automatically removed from the forum - this SUCCS!


This could be read as-

Any package that isn't 100% prefect should be removed
You suck


I can see it is frustrating when some things are missing - especially if you are spending time rectifying problems. You had a valid observation how things are put can lend to unintentional offense.

_________________
helping Wiki for help | IF SendSpace link = "dead" THEN PM me ("up file to http://meownplanet.net/")
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
sheepy


Joined: 06 May 2011
Posts: 235
Location: GA

PostPosted: Thu 31 May 2012, 17:44    Post_subject:  

RSH wrote:
Well, i am not a Linux Expert in general, but i can say: this is not the truth. I do use kubuntu (sometimes, less, less, sometimes) and Kubuntu uses the .desktop files also. There is also a general list of menu categories available on the web - so this means to me: there are more linux OS's that uses the .desktop file. Not only Kubuntu and Puppy.
And do you know what? Kubuntu has the same f... problems/issues with the .desktop files. Donwloading, configuring and installing the wanted applications into Kubuntu takes less than 2 hours. Refining the .desktop files of Kubuntu did take at least more than one day.

If it works in Kubuntu, why do you still have so many problems with it? All I am saying is that not all bases use it, as you can see by this package I made that is built straight from the Ubuntu repos.

RSH wrote:
I also do appreciate every work done on a application that works. But we are not all tweakers. I did have over 200 Downloads in the last 10 Days on LazY Puppy, but only two or three users to post in the LazY Puppy thread. So there are 197 people who did not want to act as a tweaker but as a user.
RSH wrote:
Sorry, but i think: GUI applications without a .desktop file (menu entry) should be autoatically removed from the forum - this SUCCS! Evil or Very Mad

Good to know, but in my puplet, there is a custom openbox menu desktop icons are not used.
Also, it is better to progress than not progress. I brought a very popular Linux app to the park for other puppies to play with. It was missing a .desktop file. Okay, big deal? So it should be removed from the forums because of that? Then there would be no progress. This is the forums, not the repo. It is okay to be a little experimental, but this package hardly even constitutes as that.

RSH wrote:
In my experience the openbox menu (/root/.config/openbox/menu.xml) is generated automatically by /usr/bin/obmenu-refresh. If you are editing /root/.config/openbox/menu.xml manually, the changes will be gone after the next "fixmenus" is called.

Hmmm, that's strange, because I can edit mine at any time and fixmenus will only refresh it (like it does in crunchbang).
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
Karl Godt


Joined: 20 Jun 2010
Posts: 3953
Location: Kiel,Germany

PostPosted: Sat 02 Jun 2012, 16:17    Post_subject:  

In German : RSH : Ich denke, du hast dich ganz schoen im Ton verzwirbelt !
du und dich bewusst klein geschrieben !
Auf der Strasse wuerde ich dir in die Fresse hau'n !


I really think that a missing .desktop file could be achieved
to achieve; to attain; to get; to obtain; to reach [for]


by just
Code:
MSG=" Hello OP , your pkg is large and difficult to collect all files into it, but is missing a .desktop file.
Please could you update the pkg or post a .desktop file code ?
Regards"
echo "$MSG"

nice and without any emotions

ABOUT BASH :
bash-3.2#
Code:
dict -d eng-deu bash

Quote:
1 definition found

From English-German Freedict dictionary [eng-deu]:

bash [bæʃt]
Schlag


[IRC : /ignore RSH ]
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
RSH


Joined: 05 Sep 2011
Posts: 2285
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Sat 02 Jun 2012, 17:50    Post_subject:  

Karl Godt wrote:
In German : RSH : Ich denke, du hast dich ganz schoen im Ton verzwirbelt !
du und dich bewusst klein geschrieben !
Auf der Strasse wuerde ich dir in die Fresse hau'n !


...

...

...

[IRC : /ignore RSH ]

Aahh, da zeigt einer sein wahres Gesicht und läßt die für ihn gültige Meßlatte, Toleranz betreffend, durchblicken.

Sorry English-Speaking-Users, but my English-Knowledge is unfortunately not high enough to give an English reply to this. Also, Karl is a German User, he wrote in German, so he well-deserves a reply in his own Language.

1. Ich bin keiner der hier herumeiernden Puppy-Hopser, die Alles und Jedes toll finden, und heute dieses Puppy und morgen jenes Puppy zu ihrem aktuellen Lieblings-Puppy erklären.

2. Wenn ich auf Hilfe stoße, und/oder auf Arbeiten Anderer, die Respekt und Anerkennung verdienen, so bin ich immer gewillt, diesen Respekt und diese Anerkennung auch mitzuteilen und ich tue dies auch oft genug.

3. Da mir das Internet ständig, überall und bei jeder Gelegenheit als der "Ort der Freiheit" angepriesen wird, den es vor allem auch unbdingt zu schützen gilt, ist es nur selbstverständlich, daß diese Freiheit auch für mich Gültigkeit hat.

4. Daraus resultiert natürlich auch das Recht, eben nicht Alles toll finden zu müssen, und auch einmal (oder mehrmals) seinen Unmut äußern zu dürfen - oder ist das hier alles nur "Sunshine-Freiheit", gilt das nur für "Sunshine-Posts"?

5. Man muß mir zwingend zugute halten, daß ich des Englischen wohl nicht in dem Umfang mächtig bin, wie es sicherlich die Mehrheit der englischsprachigen Forumsmitglieder und -besucher ist. Und deshalb darf ich mich auch mal im "Ton verzwirbel"n - übrigens auch mit voller Absicht!

6. Du, mein lieber Karl, bist jedoch des Deutschen vollständig oder doch zumindest mir ebenbürtig dieser Sprache mächtig. Es ist daher anzunehmen und davon auszugehen, daß Dir mit Deiner "Androhung" wohl kein, auf Grund "mangelnder" Sprachkenntnis entstandener, FauxPas unterlaufen ist, sondern Deine tatsächlichen, so wie geäußert gemeinten, Handlungs-Phantasien wiedergibt.

Sorry Karl, aber damit entpuppst Du Dich exakt als genau jener Menschentypus, den ich hier beschrieben hatte.

RSH wrote:
Meine Lebenserfahrung lehrte mich: in der Regel wird sich dort, wo man das Du verwendet, häufiger geprügelt (im wahrsten Sinne des Wortes "prügeln").

Typen, die mit der Androhung von Prügel auf "Sprüche" und/oder auf "übertriebene Formulierungen" (aus welchen Gründen auch immer) reagieren, sind nichts anderes, als wirbellose Weichtierchen - sie scheinen offensichtlich nichts auszuhalten, sind nicht besonders belastbar..

Also werde ich Dich nun ab sofort so benennen, mein lieber Karl: mein "Pantoffeltierchen".

---

Es ist anscheinend schwer zu ertragen, wenn ein (Puppy)-Linux-Neuling daherkommt, sozusagen von ganz hinten (unter maßgeblicher aktiver und passiver Beteiligung Anderer, durch Tips und Vorschläge) kommend, den Laden aufmischt und etwas veröffentlicht, zu dem wohl vorher entweder niemand fähig war, oder niemand den Antrieb verspürte (bessere, erfahrenere Programmierer gäbe es hier ja zuhauf).

Tut mir ja leid, Karl, aber genau so liebe ich es. Etwas Neues beginnen, das gesetzte Ziel erreichen und durch Impulse von außen dem Ganzen noch ein Krone aufsetzen. Ich denke, meine Arbeit spricht für sich, und meine diversen Unmutsäußerungen in diesem Forum rechtfertigen keinerlei Androhung oder Wunschäußerung von "in die Fresse haun'n".

Also bleibt als einzig logische Erklärung -und sei sie noch so unwahrscheinlich-, nur eine gewisse Form von Eifersucht und/oder Neid.

Ganz, ganz weit unten, Karl. Armer Karl...

Grüße,

Rainer Steffen Hain

Wenn Du mal in Kassel bist, kannst Du ja mal ein paar Kräuter mitbringen. Vielleicht können wir Dich dann gemeinsam ein bißchen "down-coolen" und etwas mehr Toleranz in Deinen Geist einfließen lassen. Very Happy

_________________
LazY Puppy
RSH's DNA
SARA B.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
deepsea

Joined: 17 Jan 2009
Posts: 154
Location: Deutschland

PostPosted: Sat 02 Jun 2012, 18:38    Post_subject:  

RSH wrote:

Sorry, but i think: GUI applications without a .desktop file (menu entry) should be autoatically removed from the forum - this SUCCS! Evil or Very Mad



AHA Idea
What belongs to derivates with bugs ??
Look at http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=74544&start=301

People who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

@ Karl Godt nearly 100% Acknowledge. But be cool Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
RSH


Joined: 05 Sep 2011
Posts: 2285
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jun 2012, 23:25    Post_subject:  

So, that's why i did made my first post in this thread.

Here is the SFS-Version of the above attached .pet - lmms 0.4.10. It is stored at mediafire.com and i do not get money from them (because of the commercials that might "hit" you).

It's original like the .pet, i just added a .desktop file and made German translations inside the .desktop file.

This is how it looks:
Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=LMMS 0.4.10 Linux MultiMedia Studio
Name[de]=LMMS 0.4.10 Linux MultiMedia Studio
Comment=easy music production for everyone!
Comment[de]=Audiostudio zur Musikproduktion
GenericName=LMMS 0.4.10 Linux MultiMedia Studio
GenericName[de]=LMMS 0.4.10 Linux MultiMedia Studio
Icon=lmms.png
Exec=lmms
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Audio;AudioVideo;
MimeType=application/x-lmms-project;

It has 14 lines, so it must be ok (i did read somewhere, earlier, that a .desktop file should have at least a minimum of 11 lines).

If the sfs is not working in your puppy, that means your puppy has installed a file that's also inside the sfs - but non-compatible to the needed version inside the sfs. Such files are overwritten on installing a .pet but are not loaded on sfs_load if already in the system (there seems to be no version check, only filename).

You can find these files by copying the files of the extracted/mounted (not loaded like sfs_load) sfs manually into the system and having a special look at files to be overwritten. Do this without using a save file.

I hope, this will work out of the box, just like installed. In LazY Puppy it runs, but did not test if it works.

MD5-Sum of lmms 0.4.10 sfs:

6c06be5816436db6acb1e4406f6f128b

_________________
LazY Puppy
RSH's DNA
SARA B.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Multimedia
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.1288s ][ Queries: 12 (0.0048s) ][ GZIP on ]