Sound is Bad

Booting, installing, newbie
xxxlam

Sound is Bad

#1 Post by xxxlam »

Hello Puppy Linux community!

I am having a problem about the sound. I don't really know what's the cause but when I first installed (first use) Slako, it sounds really fine. In fact I watched some movie clips and played a couple of music using Gnome-Mplayer 1.0.4... When I booted again, It sounds really bad; especially the base sounds like scratches and I do not know why... I tried adjusting all the volume controls but no luck. I tried adjusting all controls in alsaconf, alsamixer, and alsawizard but no luck.

According to hardinfo -r -f html my audio controller (which I believe it's my on-board sound card) is;
"Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB".

Thanks in helping guys. I believe it's just a miss-configuration and I can't figure it out why.

(Lots of Love (LOL))
[size=150][b][color=blue]System[/color].out.[color=green]println[/color]([color=red]"Hello, Puppies! "[/color]);[/b][/size]

Barkin

#2 Post by Barkin »

a recording of the distorted sound could help diagnosis.

possibly via a desktop recorder or Audacity.

xxxlam

#3 Post by xxxlam »

I think you didn't get it... my sound playback sounds bad. But thanks anyway, I had solved my own problem. A while a back I was using Gnome-MPlayer and it was indeed the problem. I tried playing my music through PMusic and works fine!

Cheers!
[size=150][b][color=blue]System[/color].out.[color=green]println[/color]([color=red]"Hello, Puppies! "[/color]);[/b][/size]

darkcity

#4 Post by darkcity »

Hi

I think Barkin was requesting a recording of the playback to help with diagnosing the problem. seems strange pmusic is okay but not gnome-player. Do you know specifically what was causing the problem with gnome-player, a bad setting or something?

:twisted:

xxxlam

#5 Post by xxxlam »

Recording you say? Mmm... I'm just playing some downloaded mp3's. The crappy sound comes when it plays lower frequencies; about 20Hz~800Hz? I'm not really sure but when it plays the loud part of the music, it sounds like scratches...

Currently playing with Pmusic and it plays well, after reading your posts I tried to use Gnome-MPlayer again and it's the same; crappy. Anyway, not really a big deal for me, now.

=}

bigpup

#6 Post by bigpup »

Have you tried changing the audio output settings in Gnome Mplayer->Edit->Preferences?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

xxxlam

#7 Post by xxxlam »

Definitely. I tested all of them and it seems nothing has changed.
Request granted, I uploaded the recording of my music; pardon me because it is hip-hop.

Code: Select all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVfoGez5Xj8

01micko

#8 Post by 01micko »

try this in a terminal window:

mplayer -ao alsa "/path/to/your-file.mp3"
If it works then try what bigpup suggests and set the preferences in gnome-mplayer for Audio to alsa.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Barkin

#9 Post by Barkin »

That only frequencies in a certain range (low, bassy) are distorted suggests to me that the mp3 file is encoded in a way that one player cannot cope with, e.g. VBR (variable bit rate).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP3_VBR

Puppy will tell you the "properties" of the mp3 file (whether or not it's VBR encoded ) ...
Attachments
properties of mp3.png
screengrab
(12.45 KiB) Downloaded 553 times

xxxlam

#10 Post by xxxlam »

01micko wrote:try this in a terminal window:

mplayer -ao alsa "/path/to/your-file.mp3"
If it works then try what bigpup suggests and set the preferences in gnome-mplayer for Audio to alsa.
It does not work. I tried every possibilities, from ALSA to PulseAudio.
Attachments
sample.properties.png
Here is my sample, I do not know which one you are referring to...
(28.65 KiB) Downloaded 527 times

01micko

#11 Post by 01micko »

Ok, you seem to have a problem, not related to file compression. ( I looked at the youtube video )

There are other media players in the PPM, such as VLC, Xine, Smplayer and Umplayer (the latter 2 both depend on Mplayer). If you install at least 1 of the first 2 and 1 of the last 2 and test we can at best deduce what the problem is, or at least satisfy your ear drums :wink:

HTH
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Barkin

#12 Post by Barkin »

Barkin wrote:Puppy will tell you the "properties" of the mp3 file (whether or not it's VBR encoded ) ...
My mistake, I just checked and encoding VBR does not appear in mp3 puppy properties, sorry.

Attached is a ZIP file with two mp3 files of the same bit of music, one is VBR encoded the other is CBR. If VBR encoding is the problem one version will sound distorted the other won't.

consentient

#13 Post by consentient »

I had the same problem with Mplayer.

Solved it by going into Preferences and putting a tick in the box that says:-

"Enable AC3/DTS pass-through to S/PDIF"

After that the sound was clear.

I hope this helps others.

darkcity

#14 Post by darkcity »

Thanks for posting solution, I've added a link to this thread to the wiki.

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/SoundSystem

8)