A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Dromeno

ApplePup

#3281 Post by Dromeno »

mossywell

RAMSAVEINTERVAL

#3282 Post by mossywell »

Saluki 0.2.2 running off a USB key.

Hi all, Saluki noob here. Quick question: I have changed /etc/eventmanager RAMSAVEINTERVAL to 0 (without + or -) but it still autosaves every 30 minutes. (Running in PUPMODE 13 as usual.) Am I missing a different location to disable auto-saves?

TIA
m

Geoffrey

Re: RAMSAVEINTERVAL

#3283 Post by Geoffrey »

mossywell wrote:Saluki 0.2.2 running off a USB key.

Hi all, Saluki noob here. Quick question: I have changed /etc/eventmanager RAMSAVEINTERVAL to 0 (without + or -) but it still autosaves every 30 minutes. (Running in PUPMODE 13 as usual.) Am I missing a different location to disable auto-saves?

TIA
m
The configuration is in Control panel> System> Pupsaveconfig personal storage setup.

stifiling

#3284 Post by stifiling »

i got pulseaudio working on Saluki. it was tough but a success. i had to recompile alsa-plugins and a few other unorthodox lil steps which i can't really remember verbatim. I'll see if i can pet it up and share it.

Like i said before though...it doesn't really seem to be missed much in Puppy world. yet and still, it's the cleanest way to use a bluetooth headset on linux.

Dromeno

#3285 Post by Dromeno »

geoffry asked if the prezidesktop works. Yes it does, however for only a short time. It is one of those progs which is infected by a common polymorphic cross-platform virus infection. There is a cure for it but so far only for the windows community, see

http://william.famille-blum.org/softwar ... index.html

does anyone know if there is a linux version of this?

mossywell

#3286 Post by mossywell »

Geoffrey wrote:

TIA
m
The configuration is in Control panel> System> Pupsaveconfig personal storage setup.
That GUI changed the RAMSAVEINTERVAL in /etc/eventmanager from 0 to -0. However, it still autosaves regularly, so something's not right. I notice that pup_event_frontend_d doesn't read /etc/eventmanager, so I'm going to experiment with hard-coding RAMSAVEINTERVAL in it so see what happens.

Dromeno

Duh

#3287 Post by Dromeno »

prezidesktop supplemental

Duh. Such 30 day limit crippleware is indeed simple to control: before you start the app, re-set the time and date of the computer (terminal: set-time-for-puppy) on some day before the registration of the app and the limit is lifted. So no illegal software required. Or is it yet against the law to have a mis-synced clock?

Still, prezi is a beautiful piece of spoftware. And it is good that you can use it online for free. I hope they come up with a more affordable option for using it offline than $159 each year!

geoffry thanks - back to saluki

mossywell

#3288 Post by mossywell »

mossywell wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:

TIA
m
That GUI changed the RAMSAVEINTERVAL in /etc/eventmanager from 0 to -0. However, it still autosaves regularly, so something's not right. I notice that pup_event_frontend_d doesn't read /etc/eventmanager, so I'm going to experiment with hard-coding RAMSAVEINTERVAL in it so see what happens.
Yup - that worked. So I put . /etc/eventmanager in pup_event_frontend_d and that also worked. Job done I think.

greengeek

#3289 Post by greengeek »

mossywell wrote:Yup - that worked. So I put . /etc/eventmanager in pup_event_frontend_d and that also worked. Job done I think.
Are you saying that the pupsaveconfig method of setting savetime to zero does not prevent changes to the previous savefile? I'm counting on that function to save me from screwing up my savefile when I load some new programme wrongly....

KJ

No Save

#3290 Post by KJ »

I've been running this frugal "manual save only" mode (13) in Saluki (and other Puppies) using USB and SD flash drives for a long time with very little problem. Just by setting the save interval to "0" with no "+or-". You can check out /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown around line # 988 to see if it is set to "0" there. You can also change the time delay before "no save" auto shutdown in this section. That's about the extent of my knowledge.

Most of the time I run from a full size SD card (set to "lock" for read only... NO WRITES ... not even when the OS says a save has been completed) on my main system. This requires some planning ahead as once the system starts you can not "lock" or "unlock" the SD. I often run from a SD plugged into a USB converter.

The main problems I have had with this arrange have related to the SD "lock" switch. SD card bodies, computer insertion slots, and USB converter slots become loose over time and may not recognize the "lock" condition if the card is removed and inserted many times. When this condition occurs the OS will hang and not complete bootup (you can "wiggle" the card a bit ...reboot... and get it to work most of the time) ... so even then there are no writes without my consent. A new SD to USB converter (about $10 US) or a new SD card and it's up and running reliably . KJ

peebee

Broadcom wifi support

#3291 Post by peebee »

rerwin has been refining his initialisation logic so as to better support Broadcom wifi devices in their many guises and 3 different driver types.

I have updated my compilation of the Broadcom proprietary wl driver and have now packaged it as an All-In-One driver that supports many different kernels. It is attached to this post

To do this and remain of reasonable size it uses xdelta3 to generate the kernel specific driver at installation time.

Saluki is the only 'mainstream' woof based puppy that doesn't have xdelta3 built-in for some reason.

If Saluki included xdelta3 then I would recommend that the version in the Saluki repository should be updated.

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

HiDeHo

#3292 Post by HiDeHo »

Hi last time i tested saluki 0.22 it had some errors. have these been fixed or am i best to stick to 0.21 till a more stabe version of the new xfce is worked out in saluki 0.23. guess so as the next update is taking a while longer than others.

Keep up the good work Jemimiah and the team

jemimah

#3293 Post by jemimah »

Just a quick note to let you guys know I'm not dead. I'm installing SANs at Pearl Harbor this week and staying in Waikiki. I'm not having a lot of time to work on Saluki, but as of right now, I have next week off. I hope to catch up then.
[url]http://saluki-linux.com[/url]

dennis-slacko531

Hi, we're awaiting big 23

#3294 Post by dennis-slacko531 »

Have a stiff drink for everyone. Hey, I'm tying out Tinycore now, it alright. Just didn't want you to think we're ignoring you...

Frankly, I've been a Myers (dark) fan since (awhile anyway). Seems like people use Puppy when the drumbeats of Ubuntu are quieted (gooey GUI drum sticks). :cry:
Last edited by dennis-slacko531 on Tue 05 Jun 2012, 08:21, edited 1 time in total.

Geoffrey

#3295 Post by Geoffrey »

A`ole pilikia :lol:

gcmartin

SANs in Saluki

#3296 Post by gcmartin »

jemimah wrote:Just a quick note to let you guys know I'm not dead. I'm installing SANs at Pearl Harbor this week and staying in Waikiki. ... .
Hi Jemimah I hope you take the Helicopter trip over the Volcanoes while you're there. And I hope you are allowed time to get around the islands to see its structures and its peoples as there is a lot of natural beauty abound. Its magnificently beautiful. Its a great trip and a great opportunity to behold.

ON SANs
Your experience can be useful to all here in Puppyland. Here's one way of looking at how it can be. From 10000 feet, A SANs is nothing more than a adapter which talks to a HDD adapter in much the same way an Ethernet card talks to an Ethernet device. The biggest difference is that in a SAN, ONLY SAN DEVICES are expected to exist on the SAN LAN, while in LAN it accommodates all types of devices.

In your opinion, What if
  • Anyone of us installed a 2nd LAN adapter and ONLY PUT A NAS device on that adapter wouldn't we in fact have created a SAN?
  • And what would be its benefits or drawbacks if using Saluki?
Thanks in advance
Last edited by gcmartin on Tue 05 Jun 2012, 17:55, edited 3 times in total.

DaveS

#3297 Post by DaveS »

Could somebody set up a .pet fpr the xfce mailwatch plug-in please?
http://spurint.org/files/mailwatch/doc/ ... lugin.html
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Tman

#3298 Post by Tman »

jemimah wrote:Just a quick note to let you guys know I'm not dead. I'm installing SANs at Pearl Harbor this week and staying in Waikiki. I'm not having a lot of time to work on Saluki, but as of right now, I have next week off. I hope to catch up then.
I envy you. I have only been to Hawaii once and it was the best vacation spot I ever went to...but that was many years ago...aah memories.

aarf

#3299 Post by aarf »

jemimah wrote:Just a quick note to let you guys know I'm not dead. I'm installing SANs at Pearl Harbor this week and staying in Waikiki. I'm not having a lot of time to work on Saluki, but as of right now, I have next week off. I hope to catch up then.
be sure to schedule time for a little strutting on the beach :)

Dromeno

saluki 22 bugs

#3300 Post by Dromeno »

I am under the impression that specto and vlc both install incomplete. I have not been able to run those in any saluki so far. vlc installs but can not play avi or mp4 video. specto does not work at all.

and for the graphic part: my apologies for posting this in the wrong thread (please point me at the correct one) but I would like to extend GIMP with the resynthesizer plugin in order to remove elements from photos.

finding it was easy
http://www.logarithmic.net/pfh/resynthesizer
http://registry.gimp.org/files/resynthesizer.tar.gz

but now I don't know what to do with it. Copy to the gimp plugins directory in root? I have a GIMP book, a bunch of forums targeted at ubuntu and windows users, but none are very informative so far

so it can be that this post is a request for a GIMP plugin installer pet...

can anyone help me?