Audio card settings reverting on reboot

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer audio hardware
solxyz

Audio card settings reverting on reboot

#1 Post by solxyz »

I know a number of people have similar problems. Often their posts go unanswered. There are a few suggested solutions out there, but none of them have worked for me. Ok, here are the details:
1.When I startup, there is no sound.
2. Run alsaconf and select the second recognized card: emu10kx1
3. Finish the process and choose to modify /etc/modprobe.conf
4. Sound works fine
5. Reboot and there is no sound until I repeat the process.

When I examine /etc/modprobe.conf after running alsaconf, I find that it has been duly modified. Specifically I find these lines:
"# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF version 1.0.20 ---
alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1x
alias sound-slot-0 snd-emu10k1x
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---"

However, after I reboot, when I examine the file, I find that it has changed. Now I find:
"--- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF version 1.0.20 ---
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---"

alias snd-card-1 snd-emu10k1x
alias sound-slot-1 snd-emu10k1x"

How odd. As an experiment I have tried manually editing /etc/modprobe.conf in a number of ways, and consistently every reference to snd-card-0, etc is switched to refer to snd-intel8x0, and every reference to snd-card-1 is switched to refer to snd-emu10k1x. What gives?

Although Im interested in getting to the bottom of this, I would be quite happy if someone could help me write a script that would change the sound card to the emu10kx1, so that I dont have to go through alsaconf every time.

Thank you.

solxyz

#2 Post by solxyz »

BTW, this problem has been consistent across a number of versions of puppy.

Farm

#3 Post by Farm »

Hey I have a very similar problem but a different sound card while running Lucid Puppy. I run the wizard get good sound, when I reboot sound has gone away again. Oh I get good sound on initial boot of Puppy Linux CD, once I do a save, then the sound is gone until I run wizard again, but lost at boot-up again.

It would seem to be a simple fix or patch to correct the situation, but yet I still am fighting with it. Could something in the save file causing it?

I hope someone will post a work around or fix.

Farm

#4 Post by Farm »

Hey I patched my “/etc/init.d/10alsa

robjohnson

#5 Post by robjohnson »

About how much did a new sound card cost? I'm new to this whole thing and figuring out estimates.

I've been to Fry's a couple times too, but I joined the whole forum thing because I thought I could learn a lot more a lot faster.
Meditation