LAN topics Important to Puppy community - IP V6

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
gcmartin

#1 Post by gcmartin »

Here's a discussion that we in Puppyland must pay very close attention to. In fact, we must not only open a dialogue, but must address this!

Puppy Linux is not a typical OS because it is built Internet Centric. This means that EVERYTHING about it requires Internet capability for full use. Everything from help screens to having a browser update or Flash or etc.

There is the need for the internet. Further, IP V6 can (and probably should) be deployed on the LAN .... now rather than waiting. If we address it now, there is little need to have to react in the future....ever.

Here an important date ===> June 6th 2012

See this article

Please share your strategies, comments and ideas for the community to see. And, share any ideas for an OOTB solution for the local ethernet system(s)

Here to help

scsijon

#2 Post by scsijon »

I've spoken to a number of isp's relating to ip6 vs ip4 over the last few years.

In all cases they freely admit to use it internally.

However, the backbones between them across Australia, the International hub ports, and the access ports such as the sat's have are ip4 configured only, with "no intention of adding ip6 or replacing ip4 with ip6 at any forseeable stage" to quote a major player. They apparently don't see the throughput or loadings requiring it, "when (physical) bandwidth is so cheap and easy to get in Australia" to quote another.

scsijon

aarf

#3 Post by aarf »

hmmm saw this in the press. pleased that someone puppy has their mind on it. my limited grasp at quick glance was that it was network stuff that wouldn't affect me personally. so didn't look deeper.

sunburnt

#4 Post by sunburnt »

Well... Tomorrow`s the day! I think being ahead of the pack in this regard is a good thing.

Many things it`s best to let them develop before embracing them, not IP v6.
Being ready in the base Puppies is prudent thinking, then it trickles down to the rest.

disciple

#5 Post by disciple »

sunburnt wrote:Well... Tomorrow`s the day! I think being ahead of the pack in this regard is a good thing.

Many things it`s best to let them develop before embracing them, not IP v6.
Being ready in the base Puppies is prudent thinking, then it trickles down to the rest.
Are the base Puppies "ahead of the pack"? How? Which pack?
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

sunburnt

#6 Post by sunburnt »

disciple; I don`t know, I don`t follow the Puppy news much.

But in regards to IP v6, there`s little reason to not be prepared.
It possible that Puppy is prepared to some degree, again I don`t know.

Terryphi

#7 Post by Terryphi »

Recent Puppy versions by BK are ipv6 ready. (Domestic router manufacturer's are not!)

The kernel is IPv6 ready but the ipv6 kernel module is not automatically loaded. It can be loaded by typing at terminal:

# modprobe ipv6

Output for # ifconfig then shows an inet6 addr:

To get the ipv6 module to autoload on boot it is necessary to edit /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG .

In line 31 edit ADDLIST=' ' to ADDLIST='ipv6'
[b]Classic Opera 12.16 browser SFS package[/b] for Precise, Slacko, Racy, Wary, Lucid, etc available[url=http://terryphillips.org.uk/operasfs.htm]here[/url] :)

gcmartin

#8 Post by gcmartin »

Terryphi wrote:Recent Puppy versions by BK are ipv6 ready. ...
Thanks @Terryphi

I will test this tonight. And, YES, an DHCP host and/router must be IPV6 aware for LAN operations to follow as we expect them to.

I will report back if problem are found on 32bit use.

disciple

#9 Post by disciple »

I saw a story the other day on the achievements of the IT department at Beca (one of the biggest engineering firms in this part of the world) in migrating their systems to be IPV6 compatible. It seems the main challenge is/was the systems which need to be "hybrid" because they're using rubbish Microsoft components which only understand IPv4 (e.g. Microsoft "Lync" for their phone systems). You'd think that with all the resources at Microsoft's disposal they could've made things in Office 2010 IPv6 capable, but no, that was apparently too difficult for Microsoft.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

cthisbear

#10 Post by cthisbear »

' Turn off IPv6, say security experts "

http://www.smh.com.au/it-pro/security-i ... 2002h.html

Chris.

Terryphi

#11 Post by Terryphi »

gcmartin:

Another issue to consider is that the Puppy Firewall is not IPv6 ready.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 14&t=64193

For those using an IPv6 router with integrated firewall presumably this is not a concern.
[b]Classic Opera 12.16 browser SFS package[/b] for Precise, Slacko, Racy, Wary, Lucid, etc available[url=http://terryphillips.org.uk/operasfs.htm]here[/url] :)

Monsie

#12 Post by Monsie »

gcmartin,

There is also Teredo tunneling for those who do not have ipv6 capable hardware and/or an ISP who is not IPV6 ready. This approach provides one with "full IPV6 connectivity" apparently, although ultimately it is considered to be a temporary solution. More information can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teredo_tunneling It is important to note that Teredo tunneling is Microsoft technology... but, that there is an open-source program called Miredo for Linux and BSD based systems that utilizes this same technology. The Miredo site is located here and there are software packages for debian as well as source code... the latter which would have to be compiled and tested of course. That said, this could possibly be an option for Puppy Linux users.

I've only begun to read about this, so do not know much about it yet. I thought it would be useful to add to the discussion though possibly one could devote a separate thread on this particular IPV6 (temporary) solution.

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

kooliepup

#13 Post by kooliepup »

that was apparently too difficult for Microsoft
MS has always had to play catchup with anything new.
The only area in which they always lead is deviousness, e.g. botnets. (so it is said) :)

gcmartin

Routers that are compatible

#14 Post by gcmartin »

There are routers on the market that provide IPV6 OOTB. See Linksys's E-series routers. I have deployed this morning 2 of them. The E4200 and the EA4500.

Each,of these units provide IPV6 support, both, to the ISP and on the LAN to the LAN's PCs (DHCP).

I am NOT encouraging anyone to follow suit. I only mention because the IPV6 technology is already showing up. You'll need to be astute when you acquire a new router; you should be aware of what you are doing when you are selecting so that you don't acquire "old technology in a new dress".

Here to help

Dingo

#15 Post by Dingo »

Terryphi wrote:Recent Puppy versions by BK are ipv6 ready.
Slacko is built with ipv6 ready as module (loadable)

but I use Puppy 3.01 and I want continue to use also in ipv6 age

So I need one day or another to build ipv6 module for puppy 3.01
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

Monsie

#16 Post by Monsie »

Hi all,

Just a follow-up to my initial post to say that I have now tried Miredo on my old Pentium 3 system and it appears to be working okay. In fact, it is a useful solution, because it turns out that my ISP is not IPV6 ready yet... apparently. See my post in Flash's thread for more information on this right over here.

Miredo is available in debian In the repositories, there are two packages: client and server. I am currently using the client in Mepis Linux which is for those of us who are on a wan and thus connect to the Internet directly. For those running a workstation in a lan environment, then one would also need the Miredo-Server package.

For non-debian based distros, it will be necessary to compile the source code, unless it is somehow possible to convert the existing debian packages into a format that Puppy can use. I will have a look at the source code as well as the debian packages to see what I can "make" of it... pun intended. That said, no guarantees... but maybe I can at least get started here at what could be possibly a worthwhile project for the Puppy Community.

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

Monsie

#17 Post by Monsie »

Hi all,

This is an update to my last post in this thread to say that I now have Miredo installed and running in Wary Puppy. So I have IPV6 connectivity and it's an open-source software based solution. It means (for the time being) that I do not have to go shopping for any hardware such as a new router. That said, this solution may not be for everybody. Rather, I see it as an option for the average home user who has a direct (broadband) connection to the Internet.

It's been just a bit of a process... :wink: but it is do-able :)
I might add that I see this effort as being a work in progress. I will explain in detail when I create a thread over in the How-to... section of the forum --probably much later today as it is getting late for me, and work comes early....

In the meantime, here is a screenshot of my IPV6 connectivity test on-line.

Cheers,
Monsie
Attachments
IPV6test-miredo-for-puppy.jpg
(180.48 KiB) Downloaded 446 times

nooby

#18 Post by nooby »

quote/
I see it as an option for the average home user who has a direct
(broadband) connection to the Internet. /quote

Maybe I just misunderstand the word "direct"
Broadband is not direct either. you always have a ISP
You can not go direct to the internet. You need a provider
that have the direct connection? Sorry my Engislh is rusty!
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Monsie

LAN topics Important to Puppy community -IP V6

#19 Post by Monsie »

nooby,

My apologies if my terminology is confusing. When I used the word "direct" I was trying to make the distinction between the Internet Connection that the average Home User has... versus the Internet Connection one would likely use at work. I agree that my use of the word "direct" is a bit misleading... even though for me it seems direct since I don't have to set anything extra on my Puppy desktop to achieve internet connectivity... I am on-line instantly.

For the LAN environment, Miredo can be compiled to make the miredo-server package as well as the client package. Both packages are available in the debian repositories, for example. This kind of setup will be a little more complicated than simply running the Miredo client.

That said, there may be Puppy users who are running a small network, with a home server for instance. Those users might be interested in compiling Miredo to include the miredo-server package. Since I don't run this kind of environment at home, it's not something that I am able to do... but as I said in my initial post over here I regard my efforts as being a "work in progress" and I would welcome additional efforts by others for the benefit of our Community.

Monsie