Test your IPv6 connectivity.

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Flash
Official Dog Handler

Test your IPv6 connectivity.

#1 Post by Flash »

http://www.test-ipv6.com/

This handy tool also tells you your current IP address.
You might have to wait a few seconds due to heavy use. When I tried it, the browser tab first said "Untitled", then a few seconds later began to work.

aarf

#2 Post by aarf »

Last edited by aarf on Wed 29 Aug 2012, 09:29, edited 1 time in total.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

It had no trouble at all with SeaMonkey 2.3.1 in Puppy 5.2. It found no IPv6 at all, but had no trouble with the browser. The only thing I have installed is Flashblock. Since I run Puppy from a multisession DVD, I don't feel the need for a firewall.

gcmartin

#4 Post by gcmartin »

A thread on this was a "call" to Puppy developers for what could be done to move Puppy into this Ethernet technology mainstream. So far, I have not found any suggestions of Puppy "pathing" to upgrade even our local LANs to support this. It is NOT necessary to immediately rush to call, but, there should be some basic things we can do now, especially in light of the plethora of LAN devices we are going to have in our near future to begin the simple steps it takes to get there.

We need an understanding of what will happen from a DHCP-router standpoint as well as what is needed at the Puppy PC level to support IP-V6.

Here to help
Attachments
IPV6-1.png
My results using Exprimo 5X3214
(107.17 KiB) Downloaded 1280 times

James C

#5 Post by James C »

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/a ... k.mod_stln
All of this could have been avoided if IPv6 had been made backwards compatible with IPv4, which would have made transition seamless for most organizations. Instead, it was decided that the internet addressing system should be rebooted from scratch.

It's because of issues like this that IPv6 is by no-means a shoe-in over the coming years. It may well simply be ignored. There are other ways of getting around the address depletion issue, such as carrier-grade Network Address Translation, where a neighborhood shares a single IP address. This is vastly inferior to IPv6 in many ways but it has the advantage that it's easy to implement, and that's really all that matters in the commercial world of the Internet. Additionally, there's talk of a commercial marketplace for IP address blocks arising in the future, and the buying and selling of addresses might provide an additional incentive to simply ignore IPv6.

jamesbond

#6 Post by jamesbond »

This test will most likely test your router and your ISP connection to the Net.

After boot, my ifconfig looks like this:

Code: Select all

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr XXXXXXXXXX
          inet addr:192.168.1.8  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:15950 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:12458 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
          RX bytes:18563382 (17.7 MiB)  TX bytes:4018362 (3.8 MiB)
And the test showed 0/10 score for ipv6, as expected.

Then I did this: "modprobe ipv6", and my ifconfig now looks like this:

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
          inet addr:192.168.1.8  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::1e65:9dff:fec3:e79a/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:16161 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:12577 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
          RX bytes:18872025 (17.9 MiB)  TX bytes:4028622 (3.8 MiB)
Notice the "inet6 addr" line. To ensure that ipv6 is indeed working on my machine, I did

ping6 ::1
ping6 fe80::1e65:9dff:fec3:e79a
and both work.

I then re-run the test and got the same score: 0/10.
I looked into the test data and found it was trying to connect to the ipv6-address of the test-ipv6.com site; so I tried to "ping6" this address manually. This failed, which, for my case, brings the conclusion that either my router doesn't support it and/or my ISP doesn't support it (because my local machine *does* support ipv6 at the OS level --- whether it is supported at application level (browser etc) is another matter) ...
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

cthisbear

#7 Post by cthisbear »

JB

http://www.computerworld.com.au/article ... _via_ipv6/

" Internode allowed customers to sign up for IPv6 services in August
last year. This January, Internode made IPv6 the default choice
for all new customers. "

Chris.

jamesbond

#8 Post by jamesbond »

Thanks Chris.
That's a giveaway I'm not one of Internode customers :lol:
But seriously, yes I applaud the initiative of Internode to start offering ipv6-based services.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Monsie

Test your IPv6 connectivity

#9 Post by Monsie »

Hi all,

I am enclosing a screenshot of my IPV6 test using Miredo which is an open source implementation of Teredo tunnelling... the latter is a software based solution created by Microsoft. This technology provides IPV6 connectivity for those who do not have the hardware and/or infrastructure in place to provide this service --this could mean home based hardware such as: routers, switches, etc., and it could also mean having an ISP who is or is not IPV6 ready. I've provided more information in gcmartin's thread over here.

That said, some things to note: I am using this solution on my old 1999 Pentium 3 system, but at the moment I have booted up Mepis Linux rather than Wary Puppy, because Mepis has debian packages for Miredo in its repositories. For non-debian based distros it will be necessary to compile the source code. My test score reports 7/10 and that is apparently because my ISP is not yet IPV6 ready. The browser that I am using in Mepis is Firefox 12.

Some things to do: try switching dns servers using Namebench see my thread on this utility here to see if this will make up for my ISP not being IPV6 ready... so that hopefully a re-test will bring my score to 10/10 I also want to try compiling the source code for Miredo and testing it on Wary Puppy.

UPDATE: June 12th
I tested my IPV6 connection after changing to Google dns servers, and the report indicated: "Your DNS server (possibly run by your ISP) appears to have IPv6 Internet access." My score remained @ 7/10 however --not sure why...

Cheers,
Monsie
Attachments
IPV6test-miredo.jpg
(66.95 KiB) Downloaded 1145 times
Last edited by Monsie on Tue 12 Jun 2012, 06:39, edited 1 time in total.
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

gcmartin

#10 Post by gcmartin »

Thank @Monsie for this very useful piece of info.
There are 2 methods most of this community uses to access the INternet.
  1. The NUMBER 1 method is via a router-gateway AND
  2. The Number 2 method is directly via a modem/modem-adapter.
@Monsie has demonstrated how to do this via method Number 2 from a PC with communicates directly to your ISP. (this means NOT via a router-gateway.)

For those of us who use the NUMBER 1 method, we will need to do one of the following to utilize IPV6 on our LANs.
  • Easiest - obtain a router that has IPV6 functionality built-in so that it provide your LAN PCs with IPV6 personalities, AND negotiates an IPV6 connection on the WAN to your ISP.
  • Do-able - obtain a peice of software that can be installed on every LAN PC which uses IPV6 for LAN communication where it will "tunnel" thru the router-gateway using IPV6.
Hope all of us understand how this is done.

Here to help

Monsie

#11 Post by Monsie »

Hi all,

I just want to add that using the Miredo client in Mepis Linux worked for me "out of the box" so-to-speak... I did not have to configure anything after installation. The same cannot be said for debian-squeeze however, which is on my main desktop. Despite having installed Miredo in debian, I do not yet have IPV6 connectivity... I think it may have to do with setting up additional rules (permissions) in UFW --the firewall. So, I am still investigating this and other possibilities.

UPDATE: JUNE 18th
For Debian Squeeze which has ufw installed by default, --> /etc/default and then edit the ufw text file: where the first uncommented line says IPV6=no change to IPV6=yes Save your changes, then re-test your ipv6 connectivity... you should be good to go.

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

Monsie

#12 Post by Monsie »

Hi all,

Now that I have IPV6 connectivity using Miredo I am trying to make sense of my test scores...

Here's my setup, results, and some food for thought...

Family desktop=Pentium 4 (2004 model), wired ethernet, debian squeeze, score=10/10
Hobby desktop=Pentium3 (1999 model), wired ethernet, Mepis & Wary Puppy, score=7/10

Both computers plug in to the same router and have the same configuration for my Internet connection including some fine-tuning in that I am using the same Google dns servers (instead of those provided by my ISP) because Google's dns servers are fast and IPV6 compliant. Not only that, the results also show that for Mepis and Wary Puppy, its default browsers (Firefox & SeaMonkey) prefer IPV6 addressing when given this option, whereas in debian, its default browser (IceWeasel -- which is really only a rebranded version of Firefox) apparently prefers IPV4 addressing when given a choice of connectivity. Does this make sense? Yet, my debian system scores 10/10 :?:

At first glance, I am tempted to think that it has something to do with the age difference of my two computers... yet, on the surface, this doesn't make much sense. I get it that I still have IPV6 connectivity regardless, and that my test scores show possible or potential issues, and not an actual 30% difference in performance. However, my thoughts are that when the global community completes its transition to IPV6 there could be some real differences here that translate to the speed of my Internet connection.

Notably, the website at http://test-ipv6.com/ does in fact provide some explanation for the results, and there is a Contact to e-mail regarding further questions about the tests. :) Soooo, being a "Curious George" here, I will contact that person and express my concerns. In the event that I get a reply, I will post an update here.

Monsie

Monsie

Test your IPV6 connectivity

#13 Post by Monsie »

Here's some more information about testing your IPV6 connectivity.

For those who have either bought new hardware or have Miredo running in Puppy and have passed the test at: http://test-ipv6.com/ now go to this website: http://www.kame.net/

Do you see a dancing turtle? If so, you are good to go... If not, then it may be due to a setting in your browser called IPV4 fallback. I have confirmed this in newer versions of Firefox --V. 5 or later.

It turns out that about a year ago, many (if not all) of the browsers adopted a new setting which would have them fallback to IPV4 connectivity anytime a website was accessed that offered IPV6 addressing as well. The reason was that some people were having trouble with setting up their systems to utilize IPV6 and as a result, they were experiencing issues with browsing in general --a phenomenon referred to as: "IPV6 brokeness".

So, for Firefox users, here is the fix...
--open a new tab in the browser,
--type about:config in the address window,
--heed the warning to be careful, then click the button,
--in the search window, type in IPV4 to filter your results,
--where it says: network.http.fast-fallback-to-IPv4;true right click on this setting to toggle the value to read false.
--close Firefox, then re-start it. --> http://www.kame.net/ and check out the dancing turtle to confirm that your browser does indeed have IPV6 connectivity.

Note that in SeaMonkey, this setting has already been toggled to read false by default. :)

Monsie
Attachments
IPV4-fallback--browser-setting.jpg
(83.96 KiB) Downloaded 598 times

Monsie

#14 Post by Monsie »

Hi all,

Here is another update regarding IPV6 connectivity for those who are running debian and/or possibly Ubuntu on one of their systems. In order to ensure that your browser prefers IPV6 over IPV4 so that you can in fact see the dancing turtle at http://www.kame.net/ it is necessary to modify a file called: get address info To do this, --> /etc/gai.conf and uncomment lines #22-28 with gedit or other preferred text editor. The source for this information can be found in this blog here. Now check out the dancing turtle.

I don't know why but I have found that in some distros such as Mepis it is not necessary to modify gai.conf but I can confirm that this edit is needed in debian squeeze.

Monsie