Japanese IME for Lucid Puppy 525

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
amj

#1 Post by amj »

Since it's taken me most of the day to work this out I'm going to type it up in the hope it may assist a few people.

You need a Japanese font installed and your locale set to UTF-8 input.

From the official ibiblio repository, download and install
  • lang_pack_ja-lupq-0.5.pet
From the Japanese repository, download and install
  • scim-1.4.9.pup4.4.2.2.1.pet
  • scim-anthy-1.2.7.pup4.4.2.2.1.pet
  • anthy-9100h.patch13Bptn23.2009527.1.pet
You have now insatlled SCIM+Anthy. Two new options should have appeared in the Desktop Settings menu
  • Anthy Dictionary Editor
  • SCIM Input Method Setup
Open the SCIM Input Method Setup and select Global Setup. Enter your keyboard layout. Predefined defaults for all other settings should suffice.

If your locale is jp, ko or zh the IME should now be usable. Reboot Puppy. Launch Geany or some similar program, select a Japanese font and type ctrl+space to activate Anthy. The Anthy taskbar should appear in the bottom right corner of the screen.

If your locale is not jp, ko or zh you need to edit a configuration file. Find the file
  • /etc/gtk-2.0/gtk.immodules
Open this file with Geany or some other text editor. The file should contain a line at the bottom that reads
  • "scim" "SCIM Input Method" "scim" "/usr/share/locale" "ja:ko:zh"
Add your own locale to this line. For example if your locale is en, the line should read
  • "scim" "SCIM Input Method" "scim" "/usr/share/locale" "ja:ko:zh:en"
After a reboot you should have a working IME. Launch Geany or some similar program, select a Japanese font and type ctrl+space to activate Anthy. The Anthy taskbar should appear in the bottom right corner of the screen.

My thanks to shinobar for providing the last piece of the jigsaw.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

What's an IME?

Makoto

#3 Post by Makoto »

An IME is an Input Method Editor, or at least according to Wikipedia. (I just never bothered to check what the acronym meant, before, that's all. :oops: ) It's a means for entering foreign language characters (such as Japanese, in this case), above and beyond what the keyboard supports by default.

Edit: For example, it would be harder for me to type "今日
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

vicmz

#4 Post by vicmz »

It works for Japanese, but how can I add Chinese and Korean?
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

amj

#5 Post by amj »

vicmz wrote:It works for Japanese, but how can I add Chinese and Korean?
Unfortunately, I can't tell you. I have no knowledge of either language.

However, if you have SCIM installed then you are half way there. A quick web search turned up this page. It has pet packages for scim-hangul, scim-pinyin (simplified) and scim-chewing (traditional). Of course, these packages may not be compatible with your Puppy version and may not be sufficient on their own. You could make a test system and give them a try. There is a cjk language pack in the ibiblio repository.

I tried to get a Japanese IME working on lupu 520 about a year ago and failed miserably. This time round I was lucky. A web search turned up a Japanese language blog post that pointed me in the right direction. More web searches found me the packages and the final bit about editing the configuration file came from an old post on this forum.

shinobar

Re: Japanese IME for Lucid Puppy 525

#6 Post by shinobar »

amj wrote:You need a Japanese font installed and your locale set to UTF-8 input.

From the official ibiblio repository, download and install
  • lang_pack_ja-lupq-0.5.pet
From the Japanese repository, download and install
  • scim-1.4.9.pup4.4.2.2.1.pet
  • scim-anthy-1.2.7.pup4.4.2.2.1.pet
  • anthy-9100h.patch13Bptn23.2009527.1.pet
The lang_pack_ja-lupq-0.5.pet already has the scim/anthy contents.

BTW, Japanese team are releasing 528JP soon. The test iso can be available:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=77983
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

amj

Re: Japanese IME for Lucid Puppy 525

#7 Post by amj »

shinobar wrote:The lang_pack_ja-lupq-0.5.pet already has the scim/anthy contents.
I was unable to get romaji input working just using the language pack on it's own. More by accident than design, I did get direct input for a hiragana keyboard working just using the language pack - but I don't actually have a hiragana keyboard. Adding in the extra packages seems to add/update a lot of functionality.

Ramlee

Japanese IME installation

#8 Post by Ramlee »

AMJ,

Many thanks for your clear and ultimately successful instructions regarding Japanese IME for Puppy. I just installed the new and very sweet Precise 5.7.1 and now,

balloon

Puppy Linux Japanese edition

#9 Post by balloon »

I stand on it and will add a postscript in future.

There is always a "Japanese edition" optimized by Japanese in Puppy Linux:

http://openlab.jp/puppylinux/
http://puppylinux-jp.sourceforge.jp/ (New site of January, 2014!)

This edition having a long history made from Version 2 !
lupu-528JP is released about lucid.

When you want to use mainly Japanese, please visit here.

[b]BALLOON a.k.a. Fu-sen.[/b] from Japan | ã￾µã￾†ã￾›ã‚“ Fu-sen. (old: 2 8 6)

amj

#10 Post by amj »

Since this rather old thread has sprung back to life:

Please note that the instructions in the first post were written specifically for Lucid Puppy 525 only.

The Japanese language pack has been comprehensively updated since this thread was started. Up to date versions of the Japanese language pack can be downloaded from:

http://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?puppy/opt/

As far as Puppy Precise is concerned, I'm running version 561 on a netbook and used 'lang_pack_ja-1.5b.sfs' to add the Japanese IME. It worked out of the box with no fiddling around needed. New versions of the language pack are announced here. Current version is 'lang_pack_ja-1.8.sfs'.

balloon

The Japanese information of Puppy Linux

#11 Post by balloon »

The Japanese information of Puppy Linux is compiled as follows:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=92161
[b]BALLOON a.k.a. Fu-sen.[/b] from Japan | ã￾µã￾†ã￾›ã‚“ Fu-sen. (old: 2 8 6)