Stellarium 0.10.6

Mathematical tools, physics simulators, CAD, CNC, etc.
stu90

Stellarium 0.10.6

#1 Post by stu90 »

Stellarium is a free open source planetarium for your computer. It shows a realistic sky in 3D, just like what you see with the naked eye, binoculars or a telescope.
It is being used in planetarium projectors. Just set your coordinates and go.
Updated to version 0.10.6
.pet
http://www.smokey01.com/stu90/lucid.pup ... 10.6-0.pet

.sfs
http://www.smokey01.com/stu90/lucid.pup ... 10.6-0.sfs

Requires high performance graphics drivers.

Stellarium running on Puppy video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUzW9LLyRys

-------------------------------------------------------------------

old - version 0.10.5
http://www.smokey01.com/stu90/lucid.pup ... 10.5-0.pet

Made with Iguleders Pdebthing & 01mickos alien2puppy on Lucid 5.2
Last edited by stu90 on Sun 13 Mar 2011, 20:32, edited 2 times in total.

stu90

#2 Post by stu90 »

updated .pet in first post to stellarium_0.10.6
will also upload the stellarium_0.10.6.sfs tonight.
8)

bigbeck

#3 Post by bigbeck »

Will Stellarium 10.5 work without open GL? I currently have Stellarium 10.1 running on my machine - but I have to use windows to run it. :roll: If only there was a 10.1 for puppy, I wouldn't have to run Windows at all. :D

When I try to run 10.6 in Puppy5.2,I get a "no open GL support" error message. I guess a new video card that supports Open GL is in order?

Don

emil

openGl

#4 Post by emil »

bigbeck,

type glxinfo in terminal

There should be information on OpenGL if you have it. Else try go to Quickpet drivers, test video card and hopefully you can install appropriate drivers for your system.

bigbeck

#5 Post by bigbeck »

Thanks emil. I was just about to buy a new video card. I went to the driver menu in Quickpet and downloaded an updated driver. Stellarium now works! It loads quite a bit faster than the Windows version, too.

Thanks again, you're a Prince!

Don

emil

#6 Post by emil »

Great :D !
sadly, without the drivers even the new card wouldn't help ( I guess).
And Prince i am not, too old for that :wink:

Barkingmad

How to: run Stellarium on Puppy 4.3

#7 Post by Barkingmad »

For anyone who needs or prefers Puppy 4.3 it is possible to run Stu90's Stellarium .pet - I'll try to explain. This is what works for me on Puppy 4.3.1 kernel 2.6.30.5.

First things
back up your installation and any files that are on the same drive before trying this.

Install the full Open GL graphic drivers by running Puppy Package Manager and looking under the All category for
xorg_xorg_full_dri_7.3
If you want to test this worked, open a terminal and type

Code: Select all

glxinfo
than Enter. This should give loads of output with lines about "Glx" and "Open GL". If not, search the forum or make a new post to see what can be done for your graphics card before going any further.

What you'll need
You will need to collect the following downloaded packages, choose to save them when downloading rather then installing immediately and put them somewhere you can find them again :)

libc6 -- from the Ubuntu pages here clicky link is half-way down.

libstdc++ -- also from Ubuntu here, click on your nearest of the big list of links.

stellarium 0.10.6.pet from Stu90's opening post in this thread.

qt-4.6.3-lite.pet -- the second item from this Puppy Wikka page.

To install
Install these files (click on the downloaded file and follow Puppy's prompts) in this order, it's probably best to reboot after each one too.

libc6, libstdc++, stellarium and finally Qt4.

I found that QT4 must be installed after Stellarium or it won't run, this seems wrong but is the case for me.

Running Stellarium
There should now be an entry under Menu > Programs > Fun for Stellarium which should run it but with a couple of quirks for anyone who has used it before.

Firstly: The programme opens in an apparently fixed part screen window without the pop-out tool bars at the base and left side or a title bar. To fix it: press the F11 key, the tool bars appear and the display will switch between full screen and windowed with the mouse button or F11 as it should.

Secondly: dialogues such as the one to set the observer's location don't accept keyboard input with the programme full screen but do when windowed so I just set things up while windowed then changed to full screen for the best display.

Last notes
Pmusic seems to be broken by doing this installation as it crashes part way through playing mp3 files. As Mplayer and Gxine both still seem to work OK and I'm not that interested in multimedia stuff I haven't followed this up but it might be fixable. Anyone who needs music and video stuff on the same computer had better test carefully that all their apps still work right.

Hope all this is of some value to someone.

Will.

stu90

#8 Post by stu90 »

Nice guide Barkingmad

cheers 8)

donal

#9 Post by donal »

Architecture: i686
Repository: Extra
Description: A stellarium with great graphics and a nice database of sky-objects
Upstream URL: http://stellarium.free.fr/
License(s): GPL2
Groups: None
Maintainers: Ronald van Haren
Package Size: 32.5 MB
Installed Size: 44.5 MB
Last Packager: Ronald van Haren
Build Date: Feb. 4, 2011, 4:07 p.m. UTC
Last Updated: 2011-02-04
-This release brings some interesting new features:
- New feature for installing landscapes from ZIP archives.
- New plugin: Solar System editor.
- New plugin: Time Zone manual override.
- Oculars plugin: customizable keyboard shortcuts.
- Satellites plugin: added new orbit prediction engine w/ orbits.
- Satellites plugin: can now update TLEs from a local file.
- Telescope control plugin: added manual equinox / epoch override.

falah

#10 Post by falah »

Stellarium works! good It loads quite a bit faster than the Windows version, too.

Thanks a lot!!!

Karl Godt

#11 Post by Karl Godt »

Want to say hello and note some observations for stellarium on Puppy Lupu 5 :

There are

Stellarium-0.10.4-Lucid.pet

and

stellarium_0.10.6-0.pet

on the ibiblio mirror

http://ftp.nluug.nl/ibiblio/distributions/puppylinux/pet_packages-lucid/

My installation is a Puppy Lupu/lucid 5.1.1 full installation .

I installed the 0.10.4 pet first, which showed some bugs [tested only jwm] :

1. The left bottom sidebar showed only three contents
2. The left bottom bar did not show at all
3. jwm did not create a window frame , had been splash all the time
4. Therefore apparently F11 toggling fullscreen did not work, froze the computer, had to do hard poweroff
5. Also Control+q to leave the program froze my system (intel dual core@2,6GHz;4GB Ram)

The 0.10.6 version runs OK .

I am not a big supporter of updates and upgrades, but in this case it is really essential .

Additional NOTE : The Stellarium .pet s come with qt-4.6.2 . I had qt-4.3.2 already installed , and did not run ldconfig, so libQtcore.so still points to libQtcore.so.4.3.2 while libQtcore.so.4 got upgraded to point to libQtcore.so.4.6.2 (and same for all the other Qt4 libs) .

Thanks ! :D

kb8amz

SourceForge.Net has updated Stellarium

#12 Post by kb8amz »

Stellarium is proud to announce the second correcting release in series 0.13.x - v0.13.2, which contains over 70 closed bugs and includes some wishes and new features, like visualization of the zodiacal light and new sky cultures. There is also a new release of series 0.12.x - v0.12.5 with backported features from series 0.13.x. A huge thanks to our community, whose contributions help to make Stellarium better! See our SourceForge site for a link to the complete list of changes. Download Stellarium now.