pUPnGO 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
goingnuts

pUPnGO 2012

#1 Post by goingnuts »

This is pUPnGO 2012:
Update 20130106: New build with bugfix for cryptosave.
Update 20120616: New build with bugfix for save2CD/DVD, all firmware drivers in zdrv, full wirelesstools-package, dhcpcd added.

* not as small as he could be
* not quite in the spirit of the ordinary pUPnGO project
* more meant as a catch up with a lot of the stuff dealt with in the pUPnGO-thread
* shipped as a desktop puplet - lots of GUI stuff
* kind of backup of most things I have been working on the last year

Download updated version pUPnGO 2012 Third image uploaded 060113 - fix of failing cryptosave (newer losetup version in initrd)

Whats new:
No drivers in initrd - all build in kernel
Boots directly to desktop
Needs ram...boots to GUI in 20Mb but not much you can do then...seems to work OK with 36Mb for normal use.
Some settings applied to avoid freeze if ram is too low.
Filled with gtk1 applications.
And most stuff is there for everyday usage.
Total size 33Mb.

And definitely some bugs and fat that could be moved - some use of the mcb-tech has been used but I kept most applications as standalone bins to make re-master easier.

Everything is statically linked so no shared libs present/needed.
Have fun!
  • thttpd webserver incl. cgi-upload
    bftfpd ftp-server
    the wireless basic stuff
    the squasfh basic stuff
    all the cd/dvd/isobuning/creating stuff
    all the iptables stuff
    syslinux & grub
    minimp3 & mpg123 & wavplay/wavrecord

Xvesa only
    ROX-filer
    the ace-of-penguins full card games collection
    xpacman game
    calctool calculator
    conky system monitor
    pupslock screen locker + screen saver
    xsnap screen capture
    asmplan project-manager
    aumix audiomixer
    beaver text editor
    mtpaint image tool
    cdplayer
    danpei image viewer
    dillo web browser
    gdmap graphical file usage
    gftp ftp client
    gtkdialog1 & Xdialog GUI-builders
    gtkdiff graphical file diff tool
    gtkdiskfree partition usage tool
    gtkfontsel view installed fonts
    gtkman - man page viewer
    rdesktop (view shared windows desktop)
    guitar compression tools
    gwget front end for wget
    sylpheed mail client
    vncviewer (view shared linux desktop)
    x11vnc (share your desktop)
    xchat IRC-client
    xhippo mp3-player
Attachments
snap0005.png
(83.31 KiB) Downloaded 8078 times
Last edited by goingnuts on Sun 06 Jan 2013, 10:48, edited 9 times in total.

zigbert

#2 Post by zigbert »

Wonderful!

starhawk

#3 Post by starhawk »

Wow, this is really cool. I'm glad to see you go in this direction! Every Puppy needs an everyday-practical side, which pUPnGO didn't entirely have until now... while I understand that there's a distinct size advantage to the regular stuff, I couldn't figure out for the life of me what to DO with it other than marvel at it's size.

I'm downloading it now. Er... does it have Xorg at all, or is it still Xvesa-only? Just asking so I know which system to test it on ;) Also, I really hope that it does wireless, although I'm getting the impression that it doesn't.

One other (small) thing... would be good to have a list of applications up, so we can see what's in it without downloading first.

RetroTechGuy

Re: pUPnGO 2012

#4 Post by RetroTechGuy »

goingnuts wrote:This is pUPnGO 2012:

Needs ram...boots to GUI in 20Mb but not much you can do then...seems to work OK with 36Mb for normal use.
Now you've got me interested.

I've got some really (I mean really, really) old laptops, with low memory I want to set up (and then give away).

I'm going to see if this will serve... :D
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

technosaurus

#5 Post by technosaurus »

I just posted a gtk1 patch for mplayer in the other thread (my musl toolchain is missing a couple of symbols or I would post it) ... What do you think a good bare configuration whould be - enough to play youtube videos and dvds? (basically, does anyone want image outputs, obscure codecs or some other thing to support a P-app they are working on in gtkdialog1?)... btw there is an X11 output type without menu controls which might be a candidate for selecting 1 codec for a set of static binaries that each play 1 format (then they could just get the MIME-Type name and go in the rox directory - just an idea to save a few MB of ram on the barebones boxes)
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

goingnuts

#6 Post by goingnuts »

zigbert: :D
starhawk: Its pure xvesa - and the basic for wireless is there but not a lot more.
RetroTechGuy: You might be disappointed on very old hardware as the kernel might be too new. I would not expect it too work (boot) on old pentium but amdK6 should be OK.
technosaurus: avi, mpg, dvd would be nice. If youtube is an option that might be ok too - I don't know if dillo or links are able to handle/navigate a youtube page in the first place?

Ibidem

#7 Post by Ibidem »

technosaurus wrote:I just posted a gtk1 patch for mplayer in the other thread (my musl toolchain is missing a couple of symbols or I would post it) ... What do you think a good bare configuration whould be - enough to play youtube videos and dvds?
technosaurus: feel free to bother me about the musl stuff.

FWIW, I know some DOS users can get youtube videos and play with mplayer, so dillo should be able to handle retrieving them.

starhawk

#8 Post by starhawk »

@goingnuts: No offense, but I think you had a small moment of confusion in there somewhere.

AMD K6, K6-2, and K6-III are all AMDs version of the original Pentium, with certain tweaks that let them compete against Pentium II and (a few early) Pentium III CPUs. They all are Socket 7 chips as well, just like the original Pentiums. It wasn't until the Athlon line came out (the first of which were really K7's) that AMD went head-to-head with the Pentium II and III directly -- the earliest Athlon CPUs were on cards like the P-II and earliest P-III CPUs, and they used the same slot connector (with a different and incompatible pinout, of course!), called Slot A by AMD and Slot 1 by Intel.

BTW, are you saying that there's a wireless connection wizard, but few or no drivers...? That's... interesting.

What kernel did you use? The one from Puppy 412, like with the "regular" versions of pUPnGO?

goingnuts

#9 Post by goingnuts »

Posting from dillo in pUPnGO 2012 testing usb (sdd) install...:-)
I meant pentium I (I think). Pentium II should be OK...
Yes my homebrewed wifimanager is present - which at some time in the past got me connected via wireless...
We got wpa_cli, wpa_supplicant, wpa_passphrase and iwconfig at hands to play with...but no firmware drivers.
Kernel is a modified P412 kernel (with all drivers normally inside initrd build in) 2.6.25.16 that is...

RetroTechGuy

#10 Post by RetroTechGuy »

goingnuts wrote:Posting from dillo in pUPnGO 2012 testing usb (sdd) install...:-)
I meant pentium I (I think). Pentium II should be OK...
Well, I think that they are P-I class. I did get some unexpected versions to boot on at least one of them, but they generally eat way too much memory.

(I don't think that I have any 486 class left...unless I kept one for the "museum" ;-) )
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

starhawk

#11 Post by starhawk »

goingnuts, can you compile/make a *.pet that has those wifi drivers? I'm afraid that there is no way for me to connect to the Internet in my house, other than via wireless, and so something that doesn't have those drivers is a little... limiting.

goingnuts

#12 Post by goingnuts »

starhawk wrote:goingnuts, can you compile/make a *.pet that has those wifi drivers? I'm afraid that there is no way for me to connect to the Internet in my house, other than via wireless, and so something that doesn't have those drivers is a little... limiting.
here it is
Its only all the firmware stuff - the original linux wifi-drivers are all present in pUPnGo 2012.

starhawk

#13 Post by starhawk »

OK, I'm confused. I think we're using different definitions here.

What I mean by "drivers" is "the modules that are loaded by modprobe (or the connection wizard) to enable use of wireless cards/adapters". Firmware, to me, is programming resident on a silicon chip, usually of the microcontroller type (although I can see ROMs having firmware on them *for* a microcontroller, external to that microcontroller... gets complicated at that point, though).

Given what is already in pUPnGO 2012, do I need to *add* anything (I assume, in the form of *.pet's or *.sfs's) in order to make a given wireless card work? If so, what, and where do I find it (roughly)?

goingnuts

#14 Post by goingnuts »

Well...Try download above. The content is what is in /lib/firmware and /lib/modules/all-firmware

I thought that those firmware was a mixture of modules and additional applications for specific hardware.

If I plugin my usb z1211-usb wireless adaptor the firmware z1211 packet gets unpacket and the driver zd1211rw gets loaded (lsmod shows that).
After that I try to run the Wifi-manager - I can then view my wireless net-id - but I did not managed to connect (=buggy my wireless script).

So if you need the firmware drivers et all depends on your hardware I think. Gettin wireless working in a normal Puppy can also be a pita.

KJ

can not find pup-412.sfs

#15 Post by KJ »

I am trying to run pUPnGo 2012 from a USB flash drive using grub4dos as the loader. There are several pups on partitions. This one is on a fat32 (not the .ext2 with the grub4dos files). It starts to load .... stops at "looking for puppy files on drives" then exits with "can not locate pup-412.sfs". Tried renaming pup-412pupngo.sfs to match .. no joy. All the files from the iso are in the same location and this is my menu.lst for this partition (has worked great with other pups):

title pUPnGo2012
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /pup_412pupngo.sfs
kernel /vmlinuz pmedia=usbflash pfix=fsck
initrd /initrd.gz

Any guidance would be appreciated .... Thanks, KJ

Keef

#16 Post by Keef »

KJ
Your first line is wrong - it looks for the initrd.gz, not the sfs.
Try this:

Code: Select all

title pUPnGo2012
  find --set-root --ignore-floppies  /initrd.gz
  kernel /vmlinuz  pmedia=usbflash pfix=fsck
  initrd /initrd.gz

emil

#17 Post by emil »

Is there a devx sfs for PupnGO?
Is it the devx for puppy 4.21?
thanks
Emil

KJ

#18 Post by KJ »

Keef wrote:KJ
Your first line is wrong - it looks for the initrd.gz, not the sfs.
Try this:

Code: Select all

title pUPnGo2012
find --set-root --ignore-floppies  /initrd.gz   
  kernel /vmlinuz  pmedia=usbflash pfix=fsck
  initrd /initrd.gz
Sorry ... no go. With that first line Lupu-528 (partition with grub4dos) is called up. Put files back into a subdir. /pUPnGo with first line as:

find --set-root --ignore-floppies /pUPnGo/initrd.gz .... back to "pup-412.sfs not found ... dropping out to ram-disk console".

Update: Burned pUPnGo2012 ,iso to CD ..... loads fine ... no eth0. KJ

Keef

#19 Post by Keef »

"pup-412.sfs not found " seems not to be a rare occurence. It happened to me with Slaxer on a USB stick once. Put it on a CF card in an IDE adapter and it worked fine. Not sure what the stick was formatted as. Have you tried moving the directory to a ext2/3 partition?

goingnuts

#20 Post by goingnuts »

emil: No devx for pupngo :cry: Everything made in P412 with P412-devx but admitted: a devx for pupngo with a toolchain to do everything static build would be soo nice...
KJ:Cant help with the grub4dos-stuff - never used it...You should run the firstboot (the :?: icon on desktop) and answer yes to autoconnect. Alternative run netstart at a prompt. If your netdriver is loaded you should connect.
There is a usb-install wizard under menu "System" but it requires that you can point to the iso-image-file...It will formate the hole usb to ext2 and install everything to boot from the usb-stick...

AND THEN THE FIRST SEVERE BUG FOUND: Save to CD/DVD fails due to an error with mkisofs (it saves but not in a folder with the date and time). I will fix that and upload a new iso soon. Sorry!