Easy to use random wallpaper changer

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
Eathray

#21 Post by Eathray »

SFR wrote:I'm glad it's ok.

When you press "Start" button, shortcut in the /root/Startup directory is created, to launch the app at system start.
And, adequately, pressing "Stop" removes the shortcut.

It doesn't work for you?

Greetings!
SFR,

You are right. I bow to your super powers. I rebooted and it launched right up. I was also pleased that the dialogue box was closed. PERFECTION :wink:

Thanks again,

Eathray

SFR

#22 Post by SFR »

I think my powers aren't super (yet :wink: ), but nice to hear that. :D

Take care & Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

Geoffrey

#23 Post by Geoffrey »

Eathray,

if you didn't know, Saluki-022 already has a random wallpaper changer with switch times from 1 min to 240 min in the PPM.

XFCE Desktop settings allows you to create a list of images to use with it,
the list of images can be added or subtracted with images from any location.

The Wallpaper changer locates itself in the systemtray. xfwpcnm-1.0.pet

Eathray

#24 Post by Eathray »

Geoffrey wrote:Eathray,

if you didn't know, Saluki-022 already has a random wallpaper changer with switch times from 1 min to 240 min in the PPM.

XFCE Desktop settings allows you to create a list of images to use with it,
the list of images can be added or subtracted with images from any location.

The Wallpaper changer locates itself in the systemtray. xfwpcnm-1.0.pet
Thanks for the info...

Although, I got so excited with SFR's way cool .pet I've already installed it on a half-dozen Pups :P

Eathray

bones01

#25 Post by bones01 »

This is very cool. Thanks for making it so simple for people like me :)

I'm enjoying it.

Bones
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise Puppy 5.4 live DVD
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

rmcellig

#26 Post by rmcellig »

I am now using Random Wallpaper changer and was wondering if RWC can work with absolute or relative links to background images instead of accessing image files directly.

SFR

#27 Post by SFR »

rmcellig wrote:I am now using Random Wallpaper changer and was wondering if RWC can work with absolute or relative links to background images instead of accessing image files directly.
Doh :oops: , it was supposed to follow symlinks, but apparently I forgot to test this feature; thanks rmcellig. :)

It's just a single letter fix in /usr/local/RWC/rwc-main file:
WALLPAPER=`find -L "$PIX_PATH" -maxdepth 1 -type f -print0 | xargs -0 file -i | grep " image/" | sort -R | tail -1 | rev | cut -f2- -d ':' | rev`
and should be:
WALLPAPER=`find -L "$PIX_PATH" -maxdepth 1 -type f -print0 | xargs -0 file -Li | grep " image/" | sort -R | tail -1 | rev | cut -f2- -d ':' | rev`
I also rewrote RWC a bit, to automatically detect if there's XFCE session running, so now RWC-1.3 works with XFCE as well as other, 'ROX Desktop' based, window managers (Openbox/JWM/IceWM...).

PS. It's better to stop and uninstall previous RWC before installing this one.

Greetings!
Attachments
RWC-1.3.pet
(2.63 KiB) Downloaded 709 times
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]

rmcellig

#28 Post by rmcellig »

Thank you thank you thank you!! This is what I love about puppy Lunux I would never get from my Mac. Here I am with a symlink issue and just like that it's resolved. Plus a new updated version to boot!! Can I uninstall from the package manager or is there something else I need to do?

I am having so much fun with puppy Linux!!

SFR

#29 Post by SFR »

Just stop RWC and then uninstall it via PPM.

I recommend it, because the start/stop mechanism has been changed also to prevent a strange behaviour under XFCE that I've noticed recently.
Sometimes after restarting X server there were two processes of RWC active - something similar to what Jim1911 has reported earlier...
Now it's (hopefully) fixed.

Have fun & Greetings!

snowy

#30 Post by snowy »

Great little paper changer.

May I suggest an improvement, or maybe just a variant. I didn't like waiting for the first change, especially if INTERVAL is long.

I want it to show a new set of wallpapers in backgrounds/1 and to show the first one immediately. At present it waits for "INTERVAL" before showing the first wallpaper in the new set. It will change immediately if I move the line "sleep $INTERVAL":

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

# Randomly changes the wallpaper at fixed time intervals

INTERVAL=90      # in seconds

while true; do
    WALLPAPER=`ls /usr/share/backgrounds/1 | sort -R | head -1`
  set_bg "/usr/share/backgrounds/1/$WALLPAPER"
  sleep $INTERVAL
done
I have saved the following code and made it executable to return to my default wallpaper:

Code: Select all

killall randomwallpaper
set_bg "/usr/share/backgrounds/defaultwallpaper.jpeg" 

SFR

#31 Post by SFR »

Hey Snowy.

I think the same way...and actually it's already done in all RWC .pets. 8)

Thanks & Greetings!

don922

Menu Screen not usable

#32 Post by don922 »

I am using Lucid Puppy 528.005 with the JWM desktop.

I have tried both PWC 1.3 and 1.2 they each do the same thing. The control panel for the program is minimized and cannot be made larger. Right clicking the edge of the panel displays the "gray menu", but this menu doesn't include "Resize" and when "Maximize" is selected the RWC's menu moves to the upper left corner of the screen but the size doesn't change.

The program really isn't usable.
Attachments
RWC1.jpg
(18.58 KiB) Downloaded 1227 times
[color=green][i]Don -- Thailand[/i][/color]
[url=http://www.puppylinux.com][img]http://tinypic.com/4e0tojl.jpg[/img][/url]

SFR

#33 Post by SFR »

Yup, looks awful when font size is too large... :?
Thanks for pointing this out! :)
Try RWC-1.4, it's auto-resizable now.

Additionaly I added option to include subfolders of the selected folder.

Greetings!
Attachments
RWC-1.4.pet
RWC-1.4
(2.7 KiB) Downloaded 797 times
RWC-1.4.png
Screenshot
(36.24 KiB) Downloaded 1073 times

don922

It's working now -- Great!

#34 Post by don922 »

SFR wrote:
Try RWC-1.4, it's auto-resizable now.
It works like a charm..........

Thank you for a great app.
[color=green][i]Don -- Thailand[/i][/color]
[url=http://www.puppylinux.com][img]http://tinypic.com/4e0tojl.jpg[/img][/url]

SFR

#35 Post by SFR »

Hey Don922

Glad to hear that RWC works for you ok now. :)

Sorry to those who already have downloaded RWC-1.4.
The next version is ready, again...but I guess I'll give it a rest with another updates in the nearest future.

This time I added:
- choice of wallpaper style
- choice to follow symlinks or not
- minor improvements & fixes

Note: it's better not to mix Tile style with Wbar-2.3.0-1 in ROX enviroment, because Wbar won't be refreshed properly in this case.
I can't say why is that; the same thing happens when I choose 'Tile' in Nathan Wallpaper Setter and then refresh Wbar with right-click...
But then again under XFCE everything is just fine...

Greetings!
Attachments
RWC-1.5.pet
RWC-1.5
(3.55 KiB) Downloaded 797 times
RWC-1.5.png
Screenshot
(30.87 KiB) Downloaded 1085 times

rmcellig

#36 Post by rmcellig »

SFR,

Excellent job. I really love what you are doing!!

I was wondering, is it possible to have an option to control the way the pictures flow into each other? In other words, the way that they transition into each other. That would be fantastic!!

SFR

#37 Post by SFR »

rmcellig wrote:Excellent job. I really love what you are doing!!
rmcellig wrote:I was wondering, is it possible to have an option to control the way the pictures flow into each other? In other words, the way that they transition into each other. That would be fantastic!!
Yeah, it'd be really nice!
I was thinking about it, but have no idea how one could do it...
But if anyone has any idea - please share.

Greetings!

stifiling

Online Random Wallpaper Scripts

#38 Post by stifiling »

i have these scripts here to set a random wallpaper using the pics from googleimages, interfacelift.com or wallbase.cc. maybe you could write them into RWC if interested SFR.

they are presently written for xfce and to:
1 check and see if you have an internet connection and if so download the random wallpaper from the site to /usr/share/backgrounds/wallpaper.jpg
2 refresh xfdesktop
3 if not connected to internet, run the script located at /root/Apps/WallpaperChanger/mywallpaperchanger

the mywallpaperchanger script does:
1 picks a random jpg from the folder /root/Pictures/backgrounds
2 copy's the randomly chosen wallpaper to the location /usr/share/backgrounds/wallpaper.jpg
3 refresh xfdesktop

i have iflwallpaperchanger set to an on the hr cron...and mywallpaperchanger set to 30 mins on the hour. that way i get to see a totally random one and 30 mins later one from my collection and back and forth and so on. 'Unless' i'm not connected to the internet. then every 30 mins it'll just pick from my current collection.

the way you have your folders named and organized is obviously going to be different than mines..but they're just scripts to be modified to your likings. the important part is the random downloading of the jpg file from those websites.

I also have the googlewallpaperchanger script downloading images of the resolution 1400x1050. if your monitor is set to a different resolution, you may want to change that.

just untar the attached file and edit the scripts to your likings.
Attachments
onlinerandomwallpaper.tar.gz
(813 Bytes) Downloaded 924 times

rmcellig

#39 Post by rmcellig »

That would be a great idea for SFR to implement these scripts into RWC.

When I am in Linux Mint 13 XFCE, I use the excellent wallpaper changer called Variety Wallpaper changer. It would be great if this were available to we puppy users as it has so many options and is supposedly lightweight.

http://www.webupd8.org/2012/10/keep-you ... riety.html

SFR

#40 Post by SFR »

@Stifiling

Interesting ideas, especially the one with googleimages (btw, I just noticed Google lies that "does not serve more than 1000 results"; max. is 980 really).
Regarding wallpaper resolution it can be easily determined by xrandr or xwininfo, so it wouldn't be so hard to adjust end-user's settings.

Currently I'm on different things and I wanted to drop the constant, minor updating of RWC for some time, but as soon as I return to this, I'd like to include it, because it's a valuable idea indeed.

@Stifiling & Rmcellig
Anyway, I don't know if you guys are aware of this, but there's also Rhadon's Wallrefresh app very related to the subject.

@Rmcellig
Unfortunately
http://www.webupd8.org/2012/10/keep-yout-desktop-fresh-with-variety.html wrote:Variety is a wallpaper changer application that works with most desktop environments (KDE, LXDE, Xfce and Unity / GNOME Shell)[...]
and most of Pupppies have ROX desktop enviroment...

I'll be back :wink:
Thanks & Greetings!