solunar --generate solunar data for best fishing times

Mathematical tools, physics simulators, CAD, CNC, etc.
Monsie

#1 Post by Monsie »

Hi all,

I am an avid trout fly-fisherman when I get the chance... Here is a linux based program called solunar that I found here at sourceforge This simple program (written in C) generates the solunar data to predict best bite times for fishing after the user inputs the basic information regarding: time, date, and location.

I fixed a typo in the source code, then compiled it. I tested it on Wary Puppy, but I believe it will work on most if not all breeds.

Simply extract the archived program to my-applications folder, then open a terminal and type:

Code: Select all

cd /root/my-applications/solunar
./solunar
Be prepared to enter the time zone, date, and exact location of where you will be fishing. The time zone is entered as an offset from the Universal Clock. For greater accuracy, longitude and latitude can be entered in digital format (instead of minutes and seconds of degrees).

I have included a screenshot of solunar at the command line by using my home location for reference. The compiled package includes my fix ( a typo).

Monsie
Attachments
solunar.tar.gz
(25.09 KiB) Downloaded 661 times
solunar-screenshot.tar.gz
(55.49 KiB) Downloaded 648 times
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

hribarj

THANKS

#2 Post by hribarj »

I too am an avid fisherman, although I prefer a boat. I've gotten so used to Puppy that I hardly recall how to use commands anymore. I normally use .pet packages and let the pup do the thinking. If you know how to extract and install this program I would appreciate the help. Call me lazy - I'm a fisherman!!!
Thanks

Monsie

#3 Post by Monsie »

hribarj,

To extract this program, goto -->Menu -->Utility-->XArchive then open the file solunar.tar.gz in your downloads directory. Then click on Select All followed by Extract This will create the Solunar package which you can then move to my-applications folder, or even the /opt directory if you so choose.

This program is designed to work by the command line, has no gui, and therefore is not conducive to creating a pet package for installation... if that is what you are asking. That said, feel free to contact the author who is Douglas Bacon, dugbdev@users.sourceforge.net and, possibly he might be interested in developing his program further.

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

hribarj

THANKS FOR REPLY

#4 Post by hribarj »

Monsie,

Thanks for the reply and instructions. I got it working. I just hope it helps me catch some fish. Good luck to you - you're in a great place to fish.