Cute Puppy Linux

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
bark_bark_bark

Cute Puppy Linux

#1 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Hello I want to create my own puppy, but I want it to be:
-based off of Ubuntu 12.04 (x86)
-have the latest kernel
-and to have package suggestions from the community.

Currently in it

EDIT: I renamed this. I also am working on it. Also there is a retro version in progress.
Last edited by bark_bark_bark on Thu 28 Jun 2012, 12:32, edited 2 times in total.

Tman

#2 Post by Tman »

You can try remastering Upup Precise, which uses Ubuntu Precise Pangolin packages as the base.

I will probably switch over to using it at some point for my main pup, as it has a newer gcc compiler and newer libs. I just don't feel like remastering it to suit my tastes yet, since it's not completed.

darkcity

#3 Post by darkcity »

hello bark bark bark

You can build from the ground up if that is your desire, see Woof
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Woof

I'll probably be helpful to test Precise Puppy Beta2 and give feedback
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76961

what are the goals for your derivative?

woof :twisted:

bark_bark_bark

#4 Post by bark_bark_bark »

I am using woof to build it. But I need ideas (Window Manger, Drivers, etc.). BTW: What is the latest Linux Kernel?

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#5 Post by Lobster »

-and to have package suggestions from the community.
Thank you. :)
You are using Quantal Quetzal as the eventual base?

Jemimah asked this question for Saluki so that thread will give some tips.

LibreOffice and all the major browsers is a good start.

For me I would like
Transmission
VLC
Xaralx
Openshot
Blender 3D

How about something Insane
Can you get Unity working in Puppy?
I would also like voice recognition of some sort.

As you are using the latest kernel
http://kernel.org/

Remember release early, release often (ISO image)

Good luck with Woof

We are Puppy
Kennel Power!
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

mikeslr

Suggestions - follow-up to Lobster

#6 Post by mikeslr »

Hi bark_bark_bark,

64-Bit. FatDog is great, but being a T2 Build limits the debian and ubuntu apps it can use OOTB.
If you have the technical skill:
(a) Examine Saluki's Custom-Builder and incorporate it. Saluki separates core modules from "work apps" which are included in an "adrive." Booted without "adrive" Saluki is, essentially, barebones. Custome-Builder enables user to easily package which apps he/she wants in adrive, thereby creating a personalized version of Puppy, or swapping out one adrive for another, specialized versions. Custom-Builder performs dependency checks during its build process, and downloads missing libs, etc.or at least warns of the need for manual download.
(b) Lobster mentioned "Voice Recognition." As far as I know, currently the only way to obtain voice-recognition "in Linux" is to run Dragon Naturally Speaking 10/10.5 (Standard or Preferred) in Wine, under Ubuntu or a Ubuntu derivative. I have not tested Pangolin as Ubuntu, itself, has never supported my wifi. But I've tested many distros and Ubuntu derivatives. Only the Ubuntu derivatives Zorin and Pinguy were able to run DNS 10. So obtaining Voice Recognition in Puppy may require an examination of how Pangolin differs from Zorin/Pinguy and its modification to include their differences. Additionally, as DNS 10 will need at least 2 Gigs of hard-drive, Puppy would probably have to be able to function as a Full Install. (Alternative: figure out how Voice Recognition is achieved under Android/Iphone).

mikesLr

gcmartin

#7 Post by gcmartin »

Hi @bark_bark_bark AND Weccome to the Community (althought I am not an official greeter)

I saw this post for suggestions of a build.

I have about xxx years in the business and & with PUPs as a testor. I have used many Linux distros over the past 20 years beginning with an ATT derivative. As well as constantly working in a Multi-Vendor LAN environment with the many customers I have helped over the years. I ahv seen a lot of users in my day.

Puppy is and was an original replica of the Knoppix idea but on a much smaller scale because Barry lives in Australia and had only dial-up when he started. Problem: dial up and 650MB download. You see the problem. So he set out to produce a smaller derivative which would match dial up user download needs.

Along the way, others joined in and began offering and contributing many smaller version (and retooled versions) of useful ackages.

This is one of the several primary reasons PUPPY adopted an artificial size of 128MB as its ceiling for the Puppy distro.

As the movement progressed, Barry focused more and more on the building tools for those who would build a Puppy which match their personal views of desktop needs for users.

Over the years since starting, DSL speeds have become ubiquedous and now, much of the world (including cell internet users) enjoy much greater speeds to accomodate the larger downloads we all enjoy.

And, without an ensuing debate from many ni this community who would engage, RAM has grown considerably while running PUPs RAM use has changed little over the past 2 years.

Thus, the artificial ceiling of 128MB has been "loosely" abandoned over the past 3 years.

To me, the current "Ultimately Powerful Puppy" (before you,of course) is LightHouse64. The author became ill and his illness may have taken him from us iin the last few months. He was a very talented and gifted member of this community who paved the way for much of what is done in Puppyland. And, he will be missed.

The reason I vote for LightHouse64 being the current owner of that title in this community is that he personally decided to design a system that had great functionality and would all the distro to handle all types of LAN technologies, the selection of "mainstream" office products, much multimedia availability, use of Microsoft products on the distro and accomdating VM. For a single individual, this contribution is so phenomenal, its inconcievable in my view. That was greatest!!! And, like Wilt Chamberland scoring 100 points in a professional basketball game, his accomplishment may never be achieve by the rest of us mortals. One man so much.

The NUMBER 1 reason for LH64 being the prime candidate is that the packaging allows full use of desktop subsystems and user services that trememdously reduces any need to go back to the internet to add services beyond what is included on the CD. This is a tremendous plus for any, I repeat, any user at any level.

Further, he starts (like the PUPs we are seeing today) users off with a single screen localization. This carries tremendous power to the desktop user, for he gets an initial feeling of control and understanding when he first boots his distro.

Lastly, understanding that Games, xPads, multimedia and new LAN devices all talk to MS/Apple, and are the industry directions, he nisured that LH64 OOTB would also have the same ability to share with those systems as he included SAMBA, a 20 year old Linux subsystem that contains the ability to interact with those systems.

As you can see, he built a "Guiding Light" (aka LightHouse) to show all of us how to produce a RAM based Linux distro that is lightnng fast, fits in 2006+ PCs, and is full-featured.

Recently in last month, 01Micko has produced another distro that is an upcoming "high and mighty" system as it is progressing along a different path and yet has all the makings of taking on the likes of that title as well. HIs 32bit product "FATSlacko" has much of the Linux "stuff" without all the bells and whistles. It too, is an OOTB solutions that does NOT require the user to go to the well in an effort to round-out his running system.

So, I hope this helps you (I see you just joined this community) as it gives you an understanding of what one might consider to be a "Ultimately Powerful Puppy".

Thus, LH64 (Mariner version) and FATSlacko might be 2 offerings that I can provide you for how you may choose to proceed to help the community.

Here to help.