How to install Broadcom STA driver on Puppy 5

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
cowboy

broadcom and puppy 5

#41 Post by cowboy »

The success rate on broadcom drivers (at least out of the box) and Puppy seems to vary between releases. For example, on my Dell laptop with a bmc4311, Lupu 5.2.8 will not work, but 5.2.5 works OOTB. I'd suggest trying a few different puppies in the "official" chain, back to about Lupu 525 and see what sort of luck you have. Might also try Slacko 5.3.1, that also works with this wifi setup.

Bueno suerte....
[i]"you fix what you can fix and you let the rest go.."[/i] - Cormac McCarthy - No Country For Old Men.

mgh

#42 Post by mgh »

Hey thanks!

I installed slacko 5.3.1, ran the 'connect' simple set up. and got connected.

Much appreciated.

Now I guess I have to read up on the differences between the different versions of Puppy.

karm2865

#43 Post by karm2865 »

thank you piratesmack it is working so far on a Dell latitude D600 laptop Puppy Linux Lucid 528 Kernel Linux 2.6.33.2 (i686)
see
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 747#631747
for more info.

peebee

Further Broadcom reading / resources

#44 Post by peebee »

Just to make people aware that updated versions of the Broadcom STA wl driver are available for a number of Puppies (lupu, slacko, wary, racy, saluki, exprimo, precise) here:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76495

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

ocean3210

#45 Post by ocean3210 »

This saved my crashed Dell Inspiron. Thank you so much. Now I have wireless back.

Deacon

Racy 5.5 attempted STA install fail

#46 Post by Deacon »

Update: Ok, b43 is back (and I presume still requiring some restarts), so this isn't a huge priority anymore, but I'd still like to see if the STA is superior so any input is welcome on where I might have goofed.

Hello,

Version: Racy 5.5, latest update
Machine: HP-Mini 110-1046NR, I believe it's a Broadcom 4312.

I've used Puppy a lot over the past couple of years as a novice, but decided to drop my old distro altogether and installed Puppy (full install, not a frugal). However, I noticed the B43 driver kept dropping on my machine within 20 minutes or so, so I tried to follow the instructions to try the STA driver (which I was under the impression worked on my laptop before with another distro) and I am pretty sure I did everything sort of right at least.

First I attempted to just use the Broadcom 5.6.48.36 pet, blacklist the b43 and ssb modules, and reboot. This completely disconnected the wireless, so I unblacklisted, removed the pet, and rebooted again. This restored the connection so I attempted to use the Racy delta k3.0.66 pet with v5.100.82.112_patched multi-pet.

After rebooting, it listed wlan as wl but with x's instead of the type of wireless card. Attached is a picture.

I've currently uninstalled the two pets, used bootmanager to put back b43 and ssb, and I am on a wired connection to test at least getting back where I was before the install. I am now rebooting, but either way I would still like to figure out what I did wrong to get the STA working.

Erm, guess this is where I say somebody please help! (not quite urgent anymore though)
Attachments
wlsetup.png
(170.22 KiB) Downloaded 1025 times

peebee

Re: Racy 5.5 attempted STA install fail

#47 Post by peebee »

Deacon wrote:Update: Ok, b43 is back (and I presume still requiring some restarts), so this isn't a huge priority anymore, but I'd still like to see if the STA is superior so any input is welcome on where I might have goofed.

Hello,

Version: Racy 5.5, latest update
Machine: HP-Mini 110-1046NR, I believe it's a Broadcom 4312.

I've used Puppy a lot over the past couple of years as a novice, but decided to drop my old distro altogether and installed Puppy (full install, not a frugal). However, I noticed the B43 driver kept dropping on my machine within 20 minutes or so, so I tried to follow the instructions to try the STA driver (which I was under the impression worked on my laptop before with another distro) and I am pretty sure I did everything sort of right at least.

First I attempted to just use the Broadcom 5.6.48.36 pet, blacklist the b43 and ssb modules, and reboot. This completely disconnected the wireless, so I unblacklisted, removed the pet, and rebooted again. This restored the connection so I attempted to use the Racy delta k3.0.66 pet with v5.100.82.112_patched multi-pet.

After rebooting, it listed wlan as wl but with x's instead of the type of wireless card. Attached is a picture.

I've currently uninstalled the two pets, used bootmanager to put back b43 and ssb, and I am on a wired connection to test at least getting back where I was before the install. I am now rebooting, but either way I would still like to figure out what I did wrong to get the STA working.

Erm, guess this is where I say somebody please help! (not quite urgent anymore though)
Hi Deacon

The "x"'s are not a problem - the wl driver has installed correctly with the Racy delta k3.0.66 pet with v5.100.82.112_patched multi-pet.

Did you try to make a connection with the wl driver loaded?

If your connection is dropping out with SNS I suggest you need to try Frisbee as your network manager - unfortunately Racy does not have Frisbee (other Puppies like Slacko and Precise do).

Rerwin has recently updated Frisbee a lot, but I don't think his new version will work with Racy - you could try this older version:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 2&start=85

Rerwin's new version is here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=246

Cheers
peebee
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Deacon

Re: Racy 5.5 attempted STA install fail

#48 Post by Deacon »

peebee wrote:Hi Deacon

The "x"'s are not a problem - the wl driver has installed correctly with the Racy delta k3.0.66 pet with v5.100.82.112_patched multi-pet.

Did you try to make a connection with the wl driver loaded?

If your connection is dropping out with SNS I suggest you need to try Frisbee as your network manager - unfortunately Racy does not have Frisbee (other Puppies like Slacko and Precise do).

Rerwin has recently updated Frisbee a lot, but I don't think his new version will work with Racy - you could try this older version:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 2&start=85

Rerwin's new version is here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=246

Cheers
peebee
Thanks! If I have more connection problems I will try that. To my surprise, the connection has been on since this morning (and last night) without dropping once, which leaves me sadly wondering if I've inadvertently discovered the ideal setup for this computer by the leaving of some package I haven't removed.

If it drops again I will go with Frisbee. Thank you!

amitk89

Not working for me

#49 Post by amitk89 »

I have mijnpup and wanted to install the wl driver. But the pet provided by you didnot do anything. I blacklisted b43 but after restart it started working again and there was no wl driver, when I tried to search for it. am I missing something here because I just downloaded the pet and tried to install it, didnt download or install anything else on my mijnpup linux.

peebee

Re: Not working for me

#50 Post by peebee »

amitk89 wrote:But the pet provided by you didnot do anything.
Hi there

You need to give much more information on what exactly you have tried to install - which pet? - and more details of mijnpup as that is not one I am familiar with - is it a derivative? of which base pup? which kernel? etc.

Cheers
peebee