How to Show Running Wine Programs in JWM Tray?

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
erin0201

How to Show Running Wine Programs in JWM Tray?

#1 Post by erin0201 »

I have built a kiosk following the guidelines for 5.2. I am using JWM and have configured it to hide the menus and to have buttons on the taskbar for launching the specific programs I want to use. One of the programs is a terminal program that has to be installed in Wine. The problem is that whenever the program is launched, the JWM Tray isn't displaying the running program so if the program is minimized it is hidden/disappears and you can't recover it.

I did find out if you restart JWM it will show back up, but this isn't a good workaround for a kiosk.

Does anyone know how to make all running wine programs show up in the JWM Tray? I did notice that Internet Explorer will show up in the tray when it is ran. Is there something that needs to be done to make sure a wine program will show up in the tray when it is running? I can see the program running in pprocess just fine.

Thanks!

`f00

#2 Post by `f00 »

Here is a tool that should help, since jwm doesn't have a native tool to view or modify window properties in detail - the window that's not appearing in jwm's tasklist (or dock/systray?) may have some hints set to 'skip task list' or similar (windows without decor may do that at times, such as a terminal emulator like stjerm for instance or the 'usual' conky or wbar)

Is it all wine apps or just a few? jwm's dock/systray may 'act up' occasionally, not properly expanding to accomodate stuff like fscap or even opera. Some wine apps will minimize to the systray/dock (fscap and notetab come to mind). For the tasklist, try wmctrl and see what's going on..

Kind of odd that the issue corrects with a jwm reload perhaps .. sometimes wine takes a few moments to load (it does for me, anyway)

welcome to the pldf, btw :)

disciple

#3 Post by disciple »

One of the programs is a terminal program
You mean it is a terminal, not that it runs in a terminal?
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

erin0201

#4 Post by erin0201 »

Thanks for the replies!

Disciple: It is a terminal emulation program called Accuterm to allow users to connect to a Linux mainframe. The program only runs on Windows and we have designed GUI screens that will only run with that program, so it has to be installed via Wine. Which I did and it works just fine. It's not a program that is run inside of a terminal. It's a terminal emulation program like Xterm, but more advanced. I hope that made sense!

`f00: It's just this one wine app that I'm concerned about. But I did test opening Internet Explorer and that wine app DOES show in the JWM task list on the tray. It's just this Accuterm program that I installed via wine that isn't showing up on the bar. So when you minimize the window, it hides and you can't bring it back up. If you restart the JWM all of the minimized windows maximize again and you can see the program window just fine. But I want it to "shrink to tray/taskbar/tasklist"

I will take a look at the tool you suggested and try running wmctrl and see what it shows me and post back. Thanks for the suggestions! :)

erin0201

#5 Post by erin0201 »

Oh and I did create a shell script to be able to launch the wine program with it's login script from the commandline. That way it can be called with one name from the command line. I've used this so that I could create a Tray button in the JWM-tray file that will launch this wine program via exec:progname. This works just fine.

It's just that after it launches the program, it doesn't display that the program is running in the Tasklist on the tray/taskbar.

erin0201

#6 Post by erin0201 »

Ok, I've installed and ran wmctrl -l with one of the Accuterm windows open.
It lists that program as one of the programs it is managing.

Is there something I should be looking for specifically with wmctrl to try and see where it might not be listing right in the tasklist?

Also, I did read on one post where JWM had a problem listing wine programs and the Wine program needed to be associated with an icon in order to be displayed in the Tasklist. Where can I configure that? Maybe that is part of the problem?
I tried creating a Group for the accuterm program in the /root/_root_.jwmrc, but I didn't see an option to set the Icon or something so I'm not sure that even did anything.

`f00

#7 Post by `f00 »

ok..

Just a quick check (wary 514 and quirky 142, jwm) - tried wmctrl -l with a few windows one of which was stjerm, a terminal emulator which doesn't show in tasklists - stjerm is called by hotkey (F11 or you can choose another by editing) and hides when focus is shifted to another window

Don't know if the same value would apply to your wine/accuterm, but stjerm shows a -1 value as opposed to 'regular' 0 in the listing. Looking over this, a -1 value seems to indicate the 'sticky' state, so that info doesn't help much in the case of skip-tasklist..

sample:
0x01400009 0 puppypc26697 rxvt
0x01600003 -1 puppypc26697 stjerm-bin

wmctrl -l -p gives PID as well as the hex of managed windows (handy if you use htop)

.. try xprop for more detail, here's a snip from xprop -name stjerm-bin
_NET_WM_STATE(ATOM) = _NET_WM_STATE_STICKY, _NET_WM_STATE_SKIP_TASKBAR

ah, now things are a bit more clarified - don't have accuterm myself, so I'm at a loss as to what options it may have for display purposes

dunno about using xprop or wmctrl for manipulation..
xprop -name stjerm-bin -remove _NET_WM_STATE_SKIP_TASKBAR
wmctrl -r 0xe00001 -b remove,skip_taskbar
..doesn't do much in the way of putting stjerm on jwm's tasklist :|

Of course, some wms are less EWMH-compliant than others and pup/wm version may play a part (funny, wmctrl in my quirky 142 doesn't even list stjerm-bin so I had to get the hex from xprop)

Possibly try another wm (some like fvwm, twm and ctwm have a native 'identify' window function which gives details in a popup window, but these wms may not suit everyone :lol: icewm is another that may bear looking at for a different feature-set than jwm, specifically the option to use a tray icon rather than a larger tasklist button) or investigate accuterm options.

As far as icons go (especially with wine stuff), I use a small tool to extract the proper image from a dll or exe if it's not readily available. @icon sushi version 1.21 (.zip ~or~ installer :roll: ) from http://www.towofu.net/soft-e/

'Simple' icon association would be in /usr/share/applications/*.desktop files (some other association is by mimetype, but I'll leave that alone). You can make these up for wine stuff if you like.

hth

disciple

#8 Post by disciple »

`f00 wrote:'Simple' icon association would be in /usr/share/applications/*.desktop files (some other association is by mimetype, but I'll leave that alone). You can make these up for wine stuff if you like.

hth
Will JWM really look in a .desktop file for icons? I thought it just looked for an icon with the same name as the program in /usr/share/pixmaps...

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

erin0201

WM that you can lock down as a kiosk

#9 Post by erin0201 »

I would be happy to try another WM, or if someone has a compiling environment for JWM and could tweak some settings in it that would be great!

The problem is that I'm locking this computer down as a kiosk that only runs this one terminal program and the only kiosk instructions I've seen for Puppy have used JWM. Is there another WM that has been used for a kiosk?

I contacted Joe and we're thinking it is because the window states for itself that it is a TRANSIENT window (which is normally something only dialog boxes set for themselves) and the JWM isn't setup to display transient windows in the taskbar. He suggested I could try removing that code and recompile JWM, but I don't have experience with doing that.

I'm reading through "how to compile in puppy" right now and it looks like it's easier to do if you boot from the cd. Does anyone have experience recompiling programs in puppy?

Thanks!
Erin

disciple

#10 Post by disciple »

Have you considered reporting it as a bug to the author of the program?

There are programs like xdotool which you can use to change the properties of windows (e.g. window title) once they're open - you might want to see if they can remove that transient property.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

`f00

#11 Post by `f00 »

On the other other hand, the author of accuterm may have set it to transient intentionally :|

How about user toggles to config it differently? what's accuterm's man say? (hard to imagine a terminal emulator without extensive switches but it may be set up that way) .. Only other thing I can think of is an if/then (with xdotool or whatever it takes to switch the prop) or compile accuterm (get the source package if available) to suit your needs

Compiling may go slick as goose-grease (or it may end/drop with mssgs of interest) - read the documentation and give it a try or three if at first you don't succeed

Better that than to re-do jwm to show transients - :lol: for me, the 1.2 version of ede wm does that for xfe fm (and add-ons) and it's annoying as h-e-double-hockeysticks (they pile up in the taskbar beyond reason 'til I finally quit xfe or use another fm :roll: or wm :idea: to get things done..)

Don't know much about kiosk, but don't see any viable reason another wm couldn't be used .. jwm has been a puppy staple for so long it's just made sense to use it as the basic general all-round deal (along with rox as the fm/pinboard/what-have-you). Anything from ultralights like dwm or mcwm through feature-rich like enlightenment should give a glove that fits.

disciple

#12 Post by disciple »

disciple wrote:Have you considered reporting it as a bug to the author of the program?

There are programs like xdotool which you can use to change the properties of windows (e.g. window title) once they're open - you might want to see if they can remove that transient property.
Ah, the program I was actually thinking of was wmctrl, which `f00 already showed how it is supposed to be able to do this.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER