gcc, glibc and other lib versions for opttools.sfs

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.

gcc, glibc and other lib versions for opttools.sfs

#1 Post by Guest »

Ok guys it appears the concept works. What I need now is a discussion and eventually a decision on what to put in. Barry states that VL-5.0-std is the enviroment for compiling apps for Puppy. But what to do if the libs in VL are of a later version than those in Puppy ?

What version of the gcc compiler should be used ?

Binutils ?

And the rest ?

What I'd like to get to is that Puppy is able to compile everything required to run Puppy.....ie Puppy can compile itself from scratch.....I know it's a HUGE undertaking but I think that this will make Puppy completely unique. A Live distro that has the tools and ability to compile itself from scratch without being dependant on another distro. As long as there is enough storage that is writeable Puppy should be able to boot from CD and compile itself.

Now I don't want to spend the best part of a weekend compiling gcc, glibc and binutils then to find that what I've put in isn't compatitable or most importantly to the liking of Barry.

To begin with I'm going th spend time studying the Slackware build scripts, as they are simplish to understand and VL is an offshoot of Slack..(well I gotta start somewhere).

Also think about Perl,Python and PHP.....I don't want version X.X.X because it is the latest, I really feel stability & security should be the biggest issue, but then again I feel that things shouldn't be too heavily patched either.
Well these are just my ideas, but without input from ALL I can't see this getting off in a usable form.
Then when someone needs a simple utility rather than having to make a request to the forum and wait to see if anyone is interested and simple make command should get them going, provided the lib requirements are met.

On the other hand if you really feel the effort isn't worthi t don't be affraid to voice your opinion.

Let's help Barry's creation really stand out from the crowd.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

tinycc

#2 Post by Lobster »

You are doing some great stuff Blade,

8)

For what it is worth I feel - yes GCC is important (very much so) but is it feasible or possible for Puppy to be compiled with tinycc?
http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/TinyCc

Hope that is not a :oops: silly question . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

#3 Post by Guest »

Don't matter...the project has been canned

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Fare thee well

#4 Post by Lobster »

Guest = Bladehunter

(just got a private message)

Hope he will return or circumstances will change

Hope everything will work itself out :)

Some top work from Bladehunter which we can hopefully build on.

I will be lamenting and wailing (and howling at the moon)
- Nothing really to do with Bladehunter - just something I like to do . . .

:)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

BarryK
Puppy Master

#5 Post by BarryK »

Regarding library versions, Puppy is built from Mandrake 9.2, and we are only now moving gradually over to VL 5.0STD (which is based on Slackware 10.1).

Um, so I suppose if you used gcc and library files from Mandrake 9.2 it would be safest.

PeterSieg

Versions...

#6 Post by PeterSieg »

Hi, from what I have read, it seems that somewhere between/near:
* Mandrake 9.2
* Vectorlinux 5.0
* Slackware 10.1

are the ideal versions for opttools.sfs.

If they are the same - fine, go for it.
If not, I would take the one from Slackware 10.1, because slackware always proved, that
they really chosed stability first...

Hope thats helps...

Keep on going this excellent work!

Peter
Have fun :)

menno

gcc versions

#7 Post by menno »

Mybe I ame wrong or a donn't understand it correctly .
Your idea is to get a compiling system so puppy can compile it self .
And it should comile every application needed . That's great !

To this idea I think it is best to go for version 3.2.x because this seems tobe vary stable . The higer version , to lot of FAQ's I read , give lot of problems .
(Some of thim advises to go back to version 2.9.5 for kernel compilation .
I would not do that because you need two libc's and you wil run into more competibitie problems .

As far I understund all the changes most of thim has todo with C++ .
Problems arisses to G77(fortran) and P77(pascal) .
As far I found upto 3.2.x there are no problems with PHP , PERL , APACHE , PYTHON . (I donn't no about RUBY and XBASIC)

Greatings Menno .