Easytether works on Puppy 5.3.3

Using applications, configuring, problems
mouldy

Easytether works on Puppy 5.3.3

#1 Post by mouldy »

A search didnt bring up anybody here using this so thought I'd mention it working.

This is a shareware android app that lets you tether a non-rooted Android phone to a computer without paying extra monthly fee to cell company for the official tethering pkg. There are drivers to work on windows/mac/Ubuntu/Fedora. So most of app installs on phone, rest on computer.

Well with addition of one small library, the Ubuntu driver part of program did install on Puppy 4.3.1 that I have been using for years now. And "easytether enumerate" typed in terminal brought up the serial number of my phone. And "easytether connect" created easytether0 but then Puppy network wizard saw it but couldnt use it.

I then downloaded, on dialup, a HUGE pile windows drivers, and install them on my XP partition (that I never use online) to make sure phone company doesnt now have someway of blocking easytether. After fumbling bit, got it connected and working. Used it to download Puppy 5.3.3. In a HALF HOUR!!!!! Believe me this is impressive to somebody whose been on dialup until now. Be 12 hour download on dialup. I mean I've done it at library on their wifi system, but to finally have this speed at home!!!

Guess what, without doing anything different on my part easytether runs fine on 5.3.3, the network wizard sees the easytether0 and is able to use it. I am thrilled. I was thinking I would be stuck with XP until I found another tethering program that worked with Puppy. I guess the newer kernel has something included the older kernel didnt. I am not up to making SLIRP and other doityourself workarounds work. Easytether is small, simple, and relatively easy. Easier to pay the man the $10 one time for upgrade to easytether and be done with it than hours trying to figure out free way of doing it. You get to try out the free lite version that wont do https before buying, if it works for you then they want $10 to make it fully functional. Or you can do the free crippled version forever if it meets your needs.

no howto, you just download the Ubuntu deb file from the easytether site and click on it. It installs in 5.3.3 (no missing libraries) and you run it from terminal then use network wizard to make Puppy use it. There are settings that have to be made on the Android side of things, but they arent hard.

Just thought might be useful info to others living in marginal areas who dont have huge amounts money, where pay as you go cell network is maybe only affordable alternative to dialup or satellite. I actually just recently found that I can finally get DSL if I wanted it, but no competition in boonies, so its very pricey ($60 a month pricey), and from what I hear, pretty slow, plus they now seem to want bunch private info just to sign up???? Even though I've been landline customer of theirs for 25 years or rather their predecessor, they bought them out. They know I never missed a payment in all that time, but now they cant trust me? Well now I cant trust them and bye-bye landline.

Yea I know I cant hog lot bandwidth on cell trying watch bunch video or whatever (they throttle speed after 2gb data transfer so this wouldnt be possible anyway) but fast connection is nice as websites get more and more bloated with eyecandy and unnecessary stuff that slows dialup WAY down. And to be able to every once in a while download latest Puppy or other large-ish files without spending hours doing it, is fantastic.

cthisbear

#2 Post by cthisbear »

Is that it?

http://www.mobile-stream.com/easytether/android.html

::::::

" lets you tether a non-rooted Android phone to a computer without paying extra monthly fee to cell company for the official tethering pkg. "

The beauty of TPG in Australia...free tethering.

http://www.tpg.com.au/mobile/plans.php

:::::

Making it easy for me to tether a Huawei IDEOS X3

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=77767

:::::

Regards....Chris.

mouldy

#3 Post by mouldy »

Yep, thats it. There are several tethering programs out there, free ones tend to require one to root phone. Easytether struck me as easiest to use via linux without rooting my phone.

Lucky you with tethering included. Here the cell companies found out they could make more money charging monthly fee for tethering. The pay as you go company I am using only officially lets you tether if you buy their $300 Android phone and their top of line month to month plan, buy their wifi gizmo and pay $10 extra per month on top of all that. And you are still limited to 2gb data per month before they throttle connection speed. Hmm, no thanks.

I got the cheapest android phone for $80 and easytether. Still cant see why using tether or not matters since they throttle after 2gb data either way. Just a way to grab some extra user fees.

And they are nice guys compared to Verizon and ATT. They are now packet sniffing to make sure people dont use programs like Easytether to avoid the fees. They look for data not coming from their phones. Talk about anal....

stu90

#4 Post by stu90 »

Thanks mouldy,
Although i don't have an Android phone yet this is handy to know as a lot of UK pay as you go mobile phone sims generally now come with some free interent usage when you top them up with credit.

Have you thought about putting this into a how to guide as im sure others will find this useful.

mouldy

#5 Post by mouldy »

stu90 wrote:Have you thought about putting this into a how to guide as im sure others will find this useful.
Not much reason, using Puppy 5.3.3, just follow the easytether developers instructions for Ubuntu (on website cthisbear posted), except manually use the Puppy network wizard instead of expecting the Ubuntu automated networking script to magically do it. Yes its usb cable and wireless, but you will find the "easytether0" under ethernet listings when using the network wizard. Click on it and when connection works, blinky shows up in the tray.

Oh just mention, you might google for easy tether 0.9.3 version. Somebody mentioned it still works for free. It was some sort of early prototype version I guess, I dont know. May have some bugs??

And I ran across another one called Klink that says it supports Ubuntu. Hadnt seen it before. Half the price of Easy Tether, so maybe worth a try.

http://www.faveset.com/klink

Probably some packaged open source freebie out there someplace, but I didnt find one for an unrooted phone. Not in a package. Somebody gave a rather convoluted method using SLIRP which is old linux for early dialup but they managed to use it for tethering.

mouldy

#6 Post by mouldy »

I will point out a big problem with Easy Tether. It limits DNS setting to either GoogleDNS or OpenDNS, neither of which work that well for me, or at least not that well consistantly. No way I see to change to a custom DNS setting. I had couple dialup isps in past where their official DNS sucked. Cant remember now but I found bunch of free DNS sites and went through them, some worked much better than others. Usually the more obscure, and thus least used ones, were fastest. I know GoogleDNS and OpenDNS were never close to being fast.

Klink is tied to Googlemarket, even the free trial version. No other place to download it. Sorrry but I dont want to give out personal info for a free app. Not free if I have to do that.

Found one called Android Internet Sharer by PDS Limited. Can find it for download many places. Now this one is interesting. Its completely free and uncrippled, if you can figure out their command line instructions which are tiny bit vague. To make money they offer an automating "wizard" which they charge $8USD for. The wizard is universal for windows, mac, and linux. You need Java 1.5 pkg to run the wizard.

I didnt figure out from their website how to change DNS, but being totally free, still might be worth effort to try and figure it out on my own. This is much more complete free tethering prog than that site vaguely telling how to use SLIRP.... This one works, its just big vague on doing it without buying their wizard. Sure this is on purpose. But I like them giving chance at totally free. Commandline not that big of a deal. Do wish all linux instructions werent Ubuntu centric, but way it is.

I am also finding my cell connection fluctuates. I am in process of finding an amplifier/repeater/antenna setup. Its annoying to sometimes have FAST and other times be slower than dialup. But people selling these things are in the "used car salesman" model of salesmanship and there is a huge amount of hype and lies and misdirection. They are also selling what should be a $25 gadget for hundreds or trying to.

mouldy

#7 Post by mouldy »

Ok the choice of either OpenDNS or GoogleDNS on EasyTether is bogus. The computer, unless set to a specific DNS server, will ask the cell network for DNS service ignoring EasyTether choice of DNS. Thats what caused all the DNS errors I was having. If I set computer itself to use only a certain DNS server address for the EasyTether connection, then it does and no more errors. Windows or Linux. Bypasses EasyTether DNS choice, the default cell network choice, and all that.

Knowledge is power and apparently a seller of anything doesnt like to share full knowledge of the product.

Oh by the way the early 0.9.3 developer version of EasyTether is fully functional without buying anything. Its all over the web if you do a google. I cant even remember where I downloaded it now. But I tried it and it worked, at least under windows, didnt try it under linux. Thought I'd mention this as bit of retribution for them not explaining the DNS setup correctly and causing me all the hassle.

The totally free tethering program, Android Internet Sharer, requires downloading bunch stuff (huge amounts of developer free stuff) that it only uses small part of. Then the instructions are foggy enough I never got it working properly via commandline. It saw the connection but couldnt use it. Something I wasnt doing, but on developers website, they said they dont support the free version and really dont support the wizard, though if you paid for wizard and cant make it work, they cheerfully refund your money.

Yelser

#8 Post by Yelser »

I have installed easytether on my puppylinux, opened the terminal and typed in "easytether connect", gone through the network wizard and it said I was connected, but I still didn't have access to the internet. From what I read I see that you had the same problem but figured out how to fix it, just wondering if you could say what you did to fix it so that I can try and get my only internet source available on puppylinux.