Lupu_528-005 remaster live CD: cannot write ISO to external

Please post any bugs you have found
linuph

Lupu_528-005 remaster live CD: cannot write ISO to external

#1 Post by linuph »

The remaster live CD program of lupu_528-005 asks if you want to write the ISO to the CD/DVD writer. If yes, sr0 is selected automatically.
However, in my case, sr0 is not a writer but a ROM drive only. sr1 is an external (USB) CD/DVD writer but I cannot select it at this point.
Workaround is of course not writing the ISO at that point but writing the stored ISO afterwards with Burniso2CD to sr1. This leaves all the related files where they and may need cleaning up to prevent issues with the next remastering.

Is there a setting possible with which sr0 and sr1 are swapped?

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

Try this:
Click on setup icon on desktop.
Go to Drive tab.
Select CD/DVD Wizard.
Make sr1 the default drive for CD and DVD.
Try remaster program again.
Attachments
CD DVD Wizard.jpg
(63.41 KiB) Downloaded 614 times
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

gcmartin

#3 Post by gcmartin »

@BigPup prescribes the circumvention for your system. This is one of several issues with REmaster that "I think" the community is wrestling with to address these extensions to some of the shortcomings.

But, what is offered is also a solution when you would use Xine and other media utilities in your system.

Here to help

linuph

#4 Post by linuph »

I tried it out. The optical drives of my laptop:
/dev/sr0 TOSHIBA_DVD_ROM_SD_C2502 (internal)
/dev/sr1 HP_DVD_Writer_200j (external via USB or Firewire)

The Optical Drive Wizard reports:

Initially:
default CDROM drive: /dev/sr0
default DVD drive : /dev/sr0
sr0 is ROM only, so I can't write to it.

After selecting:
default CDROM drive: /dev/sr0
default DVD drive : /dev/sr1
No dice, sr0 remains the writeable drive which it is not.

Select:
default CDROM drive: /dev/sr1
default DVD drive : /dev/sr0
Trying to swap.

Result after a reboot:
default CDROM drive: /dev/sr1
default DVD drive : /dev/sr1
???

From this point, the remaster program still insists on writing to the internal drive which it then calls sr0, which is, according to the above, not default.

gcmartin

Try to get ISO to media after remaster

#5 Post by gcmartin »

linuph wrote:I tried it out. ... the remaster program still insists on writing to the internal drive which it then calls sr0, which is, according to the above, not default.
Understood.

I can offer a circumvention to the process....maybe.

The remaster program can create an ISO. Allowing it to do so, should/may give you the ability to write the ISO wherever you would want.

Assuming you have done this AND assume your writable unit is /dev/sr1, you can then do the following:
  1. Open a terminal. At the prompt, type:
  2. cdrecord -eject -v -multi /dev/sr1 the-pathname-to-your.iso
When it completes the writing of your media, it will eject it.

Catch! :D

linuph

#6 Post by linuph »

That works. Burniso2cd is fine too. Have to remember though that both the custom-puppy.iso file and the puppylivecdbuild folder are not removed like in the regular burn through the remaster process.
Another issue is that if a non-writeable drive is accidentally selected, the remaster program tells you that it cannot write and breaks off the process and removes the ISO and puppylivecdbuild directory. So, you can start all over again!

rerwin

Re: Lupu_528-005 remaster live CD: cannot write ISO to external

#7 Post by rerwin »

linuph wrote:Is there a setting possible with which sr0 and sr1 are swapped?
Yes, but it appears early in the remaster process. When you are requested to insert the original live CD, you can choose /dev/sr1. You might have to move the CD from /dev/sr0 if that is where you booted from. The script assumes that the same drive is used for both disks.

If you remaster from an ISO file, I think you are at some point prompted to specify a burner drive. I conclude this from looking at some of the remaster code. Did you start with a CD in sr0 or a mounted ISO file? If the latter, were you ever asked for a burner drive? If not, I need to dig further into the code to see why not.
Richard

linuph

#8 Post by linuph »

I'm not sure what you mean. Puppy is running in RAM. It could have been loaded from CD, HD, or USB Flash, even network. I change things (like uninstalling built-in applications, installing new ones, change the desktop background etc.). Then I remaster.
I'm asked where the original files reside. I use the CD on sr0. I'm asked where I want to write the new ISO to. Default choice is sr0, which is in my case the built-in CD/DVD drive. But that one is ROM only. Attached and working is sr1, which is an external DVD writer through either USB or Firewire. So I choose sr1 but remaster "writes" to sr0 anyway which, of course doesn't happen. But remaster is happy, deletes the remaster files, ejects the CD from sr0 and says "done".
Remaster (or a sub routine?) sees sr1 but reverts to sr0 when write commences. This should not happen. Remaster should recognize if a CD/DVD device is present and if it is writeable or not. If not, the user should be able to choose another drive or abort.

I hope this answers your question?

Ideal is a possibility to write to another device: HD, USB FLash, Network (with PNethood running). I often use the last. I do not write to CD but move the ISO to the network (another computer) so that I have a backup. I can even boot from there.

rerwin

#9 Post by rerwin »

linuph wrote:Then I remaster. I'm asked where the original files reside. I use the CD on sr0. I'm asked where I want to write the new ISO to.
. . .
So I choose sr1 but remaster "writes" to sr0 anyway which, of course doesn't happen. But remaster is happy, deletes the remaster files, ejects the CD from sr0 and says "done".
Remaster (or a sub routine?) sees sr1 but reverts to sr0 when write commences. This should not happen.
. . .
I hope this answers your question?
Yes it does. Thank you. The ignoring of your choice of output drives sounds like a bug, to me. Now I know where to focus my analysis of the issue. And I agree that it should be smarter about writing to a non-writer device.
Richard