Pussy: potentially a Puppy with a perfect package manager

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
saintless

#1521 Post by saintless »

greengeek wrote:If I can get wireless going I will be really happy. :-)
Thanks for the feedback, Greengeek. This remastered version is made for my needs. Glad you like it.
Unfortunately I can't help you with the wireless network. I don't have one and I can not test it. I suspect the hardware for your Toshiba is not well supported in Debian live CD (the parent of Pussy linux).
Wicd should detect it automatic.
I will try to find some information in google. I'm sure there is a way to make it work.

sickgut

#1522 Post by sickgut »

saintless wrote:
greengeek wrote:If I can get wireless going I will be really happy. :-)
Thanks for the feedback, Greengeek. This remastered version is made for my needs. Glad you like it.
Unfortunately I can't help you with the wireless network. I don't have one and I can not test it. I suspect the hardware for your Toshiba is not well supported in Debian live CD (the parent of Pussy linux).
Wicd should detect it automatic.
I will try to find some information in google. I'm sure there is a way to make it work.
there is a option with the normal wicd network manager that lets you use the ioctl or the standard backend, use the ioctl backend. This is what i do on my toshiba for wireless, cant use it unless i select that option. Click on wicd network manager the standard one in pussy and look very carefully and read everything on the screen and you will find what im talking about

wicd is a front end for 2 types of network connection, one using the ifup/ ifdown method (old school) and one using the newer method. Alot of newer computers contain network adaptors that cannot be used with the normal ifup/ ifdown way from the console or with a gui.

also make sure your not trying to discover a hidden network access point

sickgut

#1523 Post by sickgut »

sry people....

im kinda of waiting for the rasp pi to be delivered, i still dont have one.
the new version of pussy base will be make at the same time as the rasp pi
i see this as the best way to synch everything to be the same while its fresh in my mind. Ill make the bases for the various versions... and after that is done ill add the gui to rasp pi so and other things so its a full OS and im going to try to add an added wow factor in the rasp pi version to show off its media/ graphics power, not a see though 3d desktop type thing that not what i mean, the interface for the OS will be fairly basic, i mean to show off its graphics abilities by including games and demo type things.... but it will also include some basic programming type things.

saintless

#1524 Post by saintless »

I found ioctl option under wicd --> Preferences --> Advanced settings --> Backend.
You can change it from external to ioctl.
For me ioctl gives text "Not supported" but I guess it is because I don't have wireless hardware.

sickgut

#1525 Post by sickgut »

saintless wrote:I found ioctl option under wicd --> Preferences --> Advanced settings --> Backend.
You can change it from external to ioctl.
For me ioctl gives text "Not supported" but I guess it is because I don't have wireless hardware.
i think the not supported thing comes up even with wifi hardware, it not that it wont work or there is no driver for your wifi, it means it isnt officially supported by the wicd people and the debian team as far as diagnosing problems or asking for help, its like an after thought that added to the program that is like a hack that may very well help alot of people but dont come to me crying if it doesnt kinda thing. In the same way sid and wheezy arnt officially supported

i do find alot of the wording and language very curious in alot of the programs in the debian type OSes and wicd as well, make you think one option does something else other than what it really does or says something wont work when it really does etc...

greengeek

#1526 Post by greengeek »

Thank you both for your help.

I tried Pussy on an Acer Aspire One netbook this morning - and WiCD does detect my wireless network with this hardware (didn't expect that because this is a much newer machine than the Toshiba and I thought it might have less support). However, although the wireless network is visible, and the passkey is accepted, it failed to receive an IP address. (Also, when I then booted into my normal puppy the router would still not allocate an IP address there either. I have seen this before with earlier puppies that had faulty dhcpcd code and locked up my routers dhcp server, so I will do a bit more testing to see if it was Pussy that triggered the lockup, or just coincidence)

I will try the ioctl with my Tosh laptop over the weekend.

greengeek

#1527 Post by greengeek »

OK, that worked - rebooted into Pussy after having reset the router and I am now posting this from the Acer Aspire One netbook using Firefox via wireless thru the Thomson router. Very happy.

Touchpad seems a bit weird though - is there something like a flsynclient ?

greengeek

#1528 Post by greengeek »

Uh Oh. Not so good. It is definitely Pussy that is putting my wireless router into a funny state. I had this problem with some other puppies as well: Ttuxxxs 214x series, some of the recent Wary's, and Cielo Wary 5 also.

I guess it is something odd with the router code in my Thomson, but what happens is that the dhcp request from Pussy is successful ONCE only, and then puts the router into a state where future dhcp requests will be ignored and no further IP addresses will be issued. Powering off/on the router is the only way to correct the situation.

I see that WiCD has a setting to change from "automatic" dhcp to dhdpcd so I will give that a go later and see if it helps. Just thought I would report it in case anyone else has probs with Pussy wireless.

saintless

#1529 Post by saintless »

greengeek wrote:Touchpad seems a bit weird though - is there something like a flsynclient ?
Hi, Greengeek,
apt-get this package and see if it works well with your touchpad:
http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/xser ... -synaptics

Maybe this also can help you:
http://wiki.debian.org/SynapticsTouchpad

The wireless router problem - if you find a solution, please, write the exact steps and I will add your solution in the remastered version.

sickgut

#1530 Post by sickgut »

greengeek wrote:OK, that worked - rebooted into Pussy after having reset the router and I am now posting this from the Acer Aspire One netbook using Firefox via wireless thru the Thomson router. Very happy.

Touchpad seems a bit weird though - is there something like a flsynclient ?
glad you got it working
wicd isnt perfect, but hey.... nothing in linux is or anything to do with computers is ever reliable
Last edited by sickgut on Fri 15 Jun 2012, 11:41, edited 1 time in total.

sickgut

#1531 Post by sickgut »

greengeek wrote:.
Uh Oh. Not so good. It is definitely Pussy that is putting my wireless router into a funny state. I had this problem with some other puppies as well: Ttuxxxs 214x series, some of the recent Wary's, and Cielo Wary 5 also.

I guess it is something odd with the router code in my Thomson, but what happens is that the dhcp request from Pussy is successful ONCE only, and then puts the router into a state where future dhcp requests will be ignored and no further IP addresses will be issued. Powering off/on the router is the only way to correct the situation.

I see that WiCD has a setting to change from "automatic" dhcp to dhdpcd so I will give that a go later and see if it helps. Just thought I would report it in case anyone else has probs with Pussy wireless.
its my experience that pretty much all routers arnt reliable. I got a $139 router here but i need to reset it every couple of days.

however..... if you can get your head around setting a static ip address on your computers in your puppy and pussy and on your router.... you will notice that these router fails will be reduced.

routers are running on an arm cpu with a bare basic linux OS, any OS isnt very reliable.

but yeah there could very well be something happening with puppy and pussy config but its just impossible to work the issue out without sitting in front of your computer and router to solve it.

if you can use ethernet rather than wireless you will also reduce the drop out issues and the need to reset the router.

aarf

#1532 Post by aarf »

remote desktop via ether net to probe the wifi situation?

Sleaker

#1533 Post by Sleaker »

there's so many pages here that I couldn't reall find if anyone asked this yet, but is it possible to install .pet packages in this distro? or does it exclusively use the debian package management. Jsut asking this because I'm wanting to try and get Puppy Arcade into a newer distro/fully debian based.

Any thoughts?

aarf

#1534 Post by aarf »

Sleaker wrote:there's so many pages here that I couldn't reall find if anyone asked this yet, but is it possible to install .pet packages in this distro? or does it exclusively use the debian package management. Jsut asking this because I'm wanting to try and get Puppy Arcade into a newer distro/fully debian based.

Any thoughts?
if there is not something similar in debian, you could try renaming the pet to tar.gz, click it open and copy the extracted contents to pussy then cross your fingers and try and run it in a terminal.

Sleaker

#1535 Post by Sleaker »

aarf wrote:if there is not something similar in debian, you could try renaming the pet to tar.gz, click it open and copy the extracted contents to pussy then cross your fingers and try and run it in a terminal.
Ok thanks, I'm not too familiar with puppy, as I was trying to find a distro similar to Puppy Arcade or a debian based arcade frontend. i'll give it a go and see what happens :)

saintless

#1536 Post by saintless »

Sleaker wrote:I was trying to find a distro similar to Puppy Arcade or a debian based arcade frontend.
Check out here also:
http://knoppixmame.sourceforge.net/

Sleaker

#1537 Post by Sleaker »

saintless wrote:
Sleaker wrote:I was trying to find a distro similar to Puppy Arcade or a debian based arcade frontend.
Check out here also:
http://knoppixmame.sourceforge.net/
Yah I saw that, but it is a 2 year old distro, and didn't seem to be active. Also it looked like it was really only for MAME, which I don't really intend to use that much of. Thanks for looking around! I appreciate the help in my quest to find something :)

RSH

#1538 Post by RSH »

Hi,

i have re-discovered an old artwork from 2003. Probably a nice Pussy-Wallpaper?

RSH
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]

saintless

#1539 Post by saintless »

RSH wrote:Hi,
i have re-discovered an old artwork from 2003. Probably a nice Pussy-Wallpaper?
Thanks, RSH. It is really a nice one. I'm sure it is hard to find such a picture. I think we should include some of the best alternative desktop backgrounds in the iso.

RSH

#1540 Post by RSH »

Did search again and then found another one (i just could remember this one)

SpaceCats2002-01.jpg

SpaceCats2002-02.jpg

RSH
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]