Puppy Wary 5.3 won't shutdown

Please post any bugs you have found
Mark S.

Puppy Wary 5.3 won't shutdown

#1 Post by Mark S. »

I was told I should repost here.

Booting Puppy Wary 5.3. When I tell it to shut down, it goes through the steps and saves the session, but then reboots the screen.

This is booting off a USB flashdrive on an Acer Aspire netbook.

The flashdrive was originally set up on a desktop computer ... in case the way it was set up makes a difference.

The other threads I've seen on this topic never seem to have gotten a firm answer. But they were using older equipment so perhaps were ignored. This isn't ancient equipment.

The flash is partitioned in 2 parts. The first part is formatted with ext2, and that is where puppy lives and saves its data. The other partition has vfat32 so the drive can exchange data between puppy and windows.

One thread mentioned changing menu.lst. Searched for menu.lst but didn't find it. Does puppy on a stick even use grub?

During shutdown, I spotted this error:

EXT2-FS ERROR (device SDB1) : ext2_lookup deleted inode referenced: 21

repeated twice.

Happens every time I attempt shut down.

The busybox poweroff kludge works. Seems like if it works then it should be possible to make a script that will do it automatically.

Thanks,
Mark

rjbrewer

#2 Post by rjbrewer »

Flash drives will boot fine using fat partitions instead of ext.

Give "Bootflash" a try and see if it works better.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

Mark S.

#3 Post by Mark S. »

I don't have any problem booting. My problem is unbooting. (Debooting?)

rjbrewer

#4 Post by rjbrewer »

Mark S. wrote:I don't have any problem booting. My problem is unbooting. (Debooting?)
Think about it:

Your shutdown error message is about ext2.
Wouldn't hurt to try Bootflash which uses fat.

Full installs

Mark S.

#5 Post by Mark S. »

Then why, oh why, did the Puppy install give me this song and dance about how much better things would be if I ran it from an EXT2 or EXT3 partition? Now it turns out that just the opposite is true?

Thanks,
Mark

rjbrewer

#6 Post by rjbrewer »

Mark S. wrote:Then why, oh why, did the Puppy install give me this song and dance about how much better things would be if I ran it from an EXT2 or EXT3 partition? Now it turns out that just the opposite is true?

Thanks,
Mark
Many of the "hard and fast rules" were written more than
5 years ago and may not apply as much anymore.

Full installs

Mark S.

#7 Post by Mark S. »

What is bootflash, and will I need to start over and reformat the flash again?

My first ever puppy stick was formatted with vfat. It still runs and boots fine on a no-name 2G stick. Now its so old that Firefox is telling me that I shouldn't be using it ... so time to upgrade. Thought I would do it "right" this time - hah!

Edit: How is bootflash different from the universal installer? Which is what I used the first time.

Also, if I have to start over, is there some way to test various mbr's without going through all the locale set up stages?

Thanks again,
Mark

Mark S.

#8 Post by Mark S. »

After the bootflash you still end up needing the universal installer, unless you happened to have a copy of the iso on the flashdrive. But since I'm already booting from the CD ... confusing.

And its the universal installer reminding me, once again, that I really ought to use EXT2 or EXT3. Threatens that using VFat will result in a Frugal install, but doesn't explain what that it is.

Mark

greengeek

Re: Puppy Wary 5.3 won't shutdown

#9 Post by greengeek »

Mark S. wrote:Booting Puppy Wary 5.3. When I tell it to shut down, it goes through the steps and saves the session, but then reboots the screen.
After it reboots itself, is the system fully operational? Can it still connect to the network? Or has it lost some functionality?

Mark S.

#10 Post by Mark S. »

greengeek wrote:
Mark S. wrote:Booting Puppy Wary 5.3. When I tell it to shut down, it goes through the steps and saves the session, but then reboots the screen.
After it reboots itself, is the system fully operational? Can it still connect to the network? Or has it lost some functionality?
Too late. I've already reformatted as Vfat and installed with bootflash. As far as I can remember, everything worked fine after the false shutdown. Now to see if it works. Since I'm booting from vfat, does this mean that I have a "frugal" install, and should I be concerned?

Thanks,
Mark

rjbrewer

#11 Post by rjbrewer »

Mark S. wrote: Too late. I've already reformatted as Vfat and installed with bootflash. As far as I can remember, everything worked fine after the false shutdown. Now to see if it works. Since I'm booting from vfat, does this mean that I have a "frugal" install, and should I be concerned?

Thanks,
Mark
Puppy does not do a "full" or "normal" install to usb devices.

Frugal works from ext or fat. (it's not actually a frugal "install"
until a save file is made to a drive).

Nothing to be concerned about.

Full installs

Karl Godt

#12 Post by Karl Godt »

rjbrewer wrote:Flash drives will boot fine using fat partitions instead of ext.

NOT only ext2 gets file system corruption, but also vfat . Newly i had to reinstall racy on sdcard on vfat because MS fsck called chkdsk has automatically moved too many files into found.000/ directory .
:roll:

Mark S.

#13 Post by Mark S. »

Karl Godt wrote:
rjbrewer wrote:Flash drives will boot fine using fat partitions instead of ext.

NOT only ext2 gets file system corruption, but also vfat . Newly i had to reinstall racy on sdcard on vfat because MS fsck called chkdsk has automatically moved too many files into found.000/ directory .
:roll:
I gave up long ago on booting from sd/sdhc cards -- they were always getting corrupt when used as boot devices.

In this current case, I tried to use fsck (from old puppy, maybe?) to fix the usb that wouldn't de-boot. As I recall, fsck told me that the flash was clean, and so didn't offer to fix anything.

Thanks,
Mark

Karl Godt

#14 Post by Karl Godt »

In this case you need to open the racy-save-file.3fs and delete the hidden "*.wh.*" files inside of it . These are blocking things (ie writing to a file) .

Then umount it again and run fsck onto the racy-save-file.3fs ( and on the partition) .

rjbrewer

#15 Post by rjbrewer »

Mark S. wrote:After the bootflash you still end up needing the universal installer, unless you happened to have a copy of the iso on the flashdrive. But since I'm already booting from the CD ... confusing.

And its the universal installer reminding me, once again, that I really ought to use EXT2 or EXT3. Threatens that using VFat will result in a Frugal install, but doesn't explain what that it is.

Mark
If you use the cd to run bootflash it is not necessary to run
the universal installer.

I just tried a universal install (ext2) of wary 5.3 and also
experienced wierd reboot and other problems.

In general; when doing universal install to usbflash; mbr.bin
usually boots more often. That's not related to power off
issues though; which are quite common with different
equipment and different puppies.

Full installs

Mark S.

#16 Post by Mark S. »

rjbrewer wrote: If you use the cd to run bootflash it is not necessary to run
the universal installer.
Bootflash didn't give any option other than to look at an iso file. Only the Universal installer gave that option.
In general; when doing universal install to usbflash; mbr.bin
usually boots more often.
mbr.bin (#3 in the universal installer dialog) is the one I used that worked for booting. What's annoying is that there didn't seem to be away to change just the mbr. So you had to do a full install and try the stick, and if it didn't work again, try again.

Whatever option the "bootflash" used worked the first time. But I had to follow up with the universal installer, since there was no "read from CD" option. Or at least that I could see.

Thanks,
Mark

John_C

Won't shut down with 'busybox'

#17 Post by John_C »

OK.. Read all the posts -- problem still not solved!

greengeek

Re: Won't shut down with 'busybox'

#18 Post by greengeek »

John_C wrote:problem still not solved!
Hi John, can you describe what happens? And what hardware are you using? Also, are you booting from CD, usb or HDD?

bigpup

#19 Post by bigpup »

Known fact. Some computers have a bios that was designed to expect a USB flash drive to be formatted VFAT. Drive manufactures format their USB flash drives VFAT by default.
Some computers have problems if VFAT is not used for the format of a USB flash drive.

Bootflash is designed specifically to setup a USB flash drive to work on any computer.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Tuber

#20 Post by Tuber »

I can confirm this. I have the exact same problem. Odd thing is, I could've sworn it did shutdown when I first created the USB boot drive. But after I had been playing with it for a while this started happening.

I installed the nfs tools and dependencies, set up my sound and tweaked a few other settings (trackpad, network, etc). Now it just restarts every time. Even when I exit to the prompt and enter poweroff. It says it's shutting down, but the desktop loads back up.

Using Puppy Racy 5.3 frugal install on a 4GB flash drive. The drive is formatted ext4, as recommended by the guide.

One thing I have noticed is that the modules for my network adapters and sound are not loaded after the borked shutdown. So it seems it loses any add-on drivers when the desktop reloads. After a forced shutdown the drivers will be there the next time you boot it.
bigpup wrote:Known fact. Some computers have a bios that was designed to expect a USB flash drive to be formatted VFAT. Drive manufactures format their USB flash drives VFAT by default.
Some computers have problems if VFAT is not used for the format of a USB flash drive.

Bootflash is designed specifically to setup a USB flash drive to work on any computer.
If that was the case, then we wouldn't even be able to boot our ext formatted flash drives. And I'd like to see proof of your "known fact" because I've never heard of such a thing in 30+ years of working in the computer industry. The BIOS only reads the bootloader from the MBR, then that takes over for the rest of the boot process.

Flash drive makers format vFAT by default because it can be read by virtually any device with a USB data port. It has nothing to do with making a bootable drive.