Good Riddance

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
the last saviour

Good Riddance

#1 Post by the last saviour »

Good Riddance
I believe many Linux users had already experienced some stubborn files happened after the incompleted process of files copy or delete. Besides it makes other files and folders becomed undeletable too. This is quite a unique feature of Linux (unwanted), isn't it?
Last month I had experienced it again, caused by my US$1 USB cable or multicard reader, . But a few days ago I found a easy trick to delete those stubborn files.

I had used GParted to resize my micro SD card partition. Then after new partition was created, I found there's a lot of strange files created, but they were easily deleted, which mean those original files and folders become editable again.
So GParted had created a new directory tree and turn those corrupted file allocation into the junk files.

PRO: This resize-partition process is only 1 minute (P4 2.66, ram bus 333). So it's much convenienced than copying data to another storage, format the drive and move those data back again, especially when there are many thousands of files or other storage is not big enough. :)

CON: My micro SD card became unboostable, (..................Kill Knit..................) :(

Many thanks to Jemimah whose Saluki Custom Builder had put me into the condition to get the EXT3 partition.
My people are somebody who will move to crowded city because I have promised them the refuge in the big UFO station.
Now I'd found at least 5 aliens who live in Thailand. They are from Triangular constellation.

Aitch

#2 Post by Aitch »

Re your con:

You should be able to set the boot flag in gparted to restore 'boostability' :wink:

Aitch :)

Karl Godt

files undeleteable

#3 Post by Karl Godt »

[quote]I believe many Linux users had already experienced some stubborn files happened after the incompleted process of files copy or delete. Besides it makes other files and folders becomed undeletable too. This is quite a unique feature of Linux (unwanted), isn't it?[/quote]
No i don't know exactly what you mean .
[quote]I had used GParted to resize my micro SD card partition. Then after new partition was created[/quote]
Resizing does not create a new partition with a new partition number .

Gparted does a lot of fsck ing on the partition , so assuming you mean "Stale files" gparted might have fscked them right . '-y' option to fsck can also end up in a lot of files in 'lost+found' instead of a nice repair .

[quote]I believe many Linux users had already experienced some stubborn files happened after the incompleted process of files copy or delete. Besides it makes other files and folders becomed undeletable too. This is quite a unique feature of Linux (unwanted), isn't it?[/quote]
Probably now i understand what you mean .

pfix=fsck is one of the common Puppy bootparameters, that would show up in F2/F3 help.msg .

Seems that 10% of Puppians run Puppy for several years without having knowledge of fsck .
:roll: If i had their money and their modern hardware i probably would not know it also :P

postfs1

Re: Good Riddance

#4 Post by postfs1 »

the last saviour wrote:...
I believe many Linux users had already experienced some stubborn files happened after the incompleted process of files copy or delete. Besides it makes other files and folders becomed undeletable too. This is quite a unique feature of Linux (unwanted), isn't it?
I use the "Puppy Linux" OS from the CD/DVD. If something strange is growing then i execute rebooting at some size of not free space in RAM. I want to find those strange files, which fill free space in the RAM. For copying i use curl.

the last saviour

#5 Post by the last saviour »

Many thanks to all comments.
My people are somebody who will move to crowded city because I have promised them the refuge in the big UFO station.
Now I'd found at least 5 aliens who live in Thailand. They are from Triangular constellation.

glene77is

#6 Post by glene77is »

The Last

Good point.

Make a new partition, somewhere.
Copy your 'good' files over.
Use GpartEd to 'delete' the partition with 'bad' files.
Use GpartEd to 'create' a new partition.
Copy your 'good' files back.

Never thought of it, myself ! :roll:
Puppy Linux is more fun than a barrel of M$ monkeys :P
www.geocities.WS/glene77is
glene77is --- {^,^} --- electricity is shocking, Memphis, TN, USA.

the last saviour

#7 Post by the last saviour »

I would like to encourage you using the GPart method which is faster and convenience.
Maybe next time you will try.

Karl Godt

#8 Post by Karl Godt »

the last saviour wrote:I would like to encourage you using the GPart method which is faster and convenience.
Maybe next time you will try.
Do you refer to gparted, parted or gpart ?

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02964
I also added this DEB package to Precise Puppy:

gpart
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=80251

the last saviour

#9 Post by the last saviour »

If you can make a new partition from those pets, you can try it.
If they don't work, you should use the first one I mentioned.