Can the write to NFS hard drive feature be turned OFF?

Booting, installing, newbie
Avidkneub

Can the write to NFS hard drive feature be turned OFF?

#1 Post by Avidkneub »

I do not want to find out if using a Linux liveCD that writes files to the hard drive of my company computer is a firable offense. How do I deactivate that new wonderful feature? :?

billstclair

#2 Post by billstclair »

Puppy 2.02's NTFS support won't write to your NTFS file system unless you tell it to. When you boot off of the CD, it will temporarily mount your NTFS file system read-only to see if it contains a pup_save.3fs file. If it doesn't find one, it will unmount it, and you will be unable to write to it unless you mount it yourself.

At shutdown time, if the CD booted without finding a pup_save.3fs file, it will ask you whether you want to create one, and where to put it. If you say yes, and choose your NTFS file system, then it will create a large file, there, containing a looped Linux file system, and save to it. If you tell it not to save, or pick another, non-NTFS partition, on your disk or on a USB flash key, or on a multi-session CD, it will NOT write to your NTFS file system.

So you should be safe, as long as you don't tell Puppy to do what you don't want.

I'm writing this on a WIndows XP laptop, my work machine, with a pup_save.3fs file on its NTFS file system. Works great. But I didn't let Puppy create the file. I created it with "dd" in Cygwin while running windows, then formatted it with Puppy. I've read that it works to let Puppy create the file, but I haven't tried it.