Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.12 with 3.4.2 kernel.

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
DC

#521 Post by DC »

Hi pemasu,

A question for my curiosity. How/why can mplayer play mkv and not VLC?

Don't they/Can't they use the same libraries/codec/demuxer etc?

DC
a little bit of knowledge and I'm dangerous

pemasu

#522 Post by pemasu »

When I compiled latest mplayer2 git version about 1-2 weeks ago...I think the relevant source libs where downloaded during the ./configure process. There wasnt much need for manual devel libs installation. So...probably the needed source libs where up to date. My too old compiler problem is just one possible explanation. Lets hope it is something else...see below....

I compiled ebml and matroska libs with dev files from matroska.org source. Now I am compiling vlc again against those up to date libs.

pemasu

#523 Post by pemasu »

Okay...some progress. First...Mplayer2 does not use libebml and libmatroska at all... the mkv demuxer has been compiled in without need of those libs.
Vlc-2.0.1 does not get mkv demuxer to work with those squeeze compile libebml and libmatroska. So...mkv demuxer is broken. I suspect now more that it is gcc version dependent problem. Billtoos vlc pets plays mkv alright...which are compiled in different puppies. Slacko or Racy compiled vlc might be one choice also. Billtoo has just compiled vlc in Slacko. He could test his pet in dpup also. Probably mkv test files plays just fine with it, lol.

But....I did now compile vlc with --enable-merge-ffmpeg and now if I change: preferences > choose viewing choice all > input/codecs > demuxers > main row > demux module > drop down and select avformat demuxer...and matroska test files 6 out of 8 plays. 4 and 7 still does not.

I will replace this vlc-2.0.1 version to the repo and update the deps pet also to include those new compiled ebml and matroska libs....just for sure.

DC

#524 Post by DC »

Have to start calling you Sherlock :lol:

pemasu

#525 Post by pemasu »

Hah ! This is learning process for me. When you compile something yourself...and test the app and play with the options...you learn much about the app itself. A lot of things when you chase down dependencies...study the compiling options. When you know what there is under the hood...the understanding improves.

I have now reuploaded the vlc-2.0.1-dpup and vlc-2.0.1-deps-dpup. It has now ffmpeg merged into it and using avformat demuxer you can play at least some mkv - matroska files. You have to change the demuxer module back to default after that if you want to play something that avformat module does not handle...and there is plenty of them...

Here is the original announcement link for download: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 508#636508

I also include here my compiled matroska dependent libs. They are included to the reuploaded deps pet...but if you dont want to download it again...just install these pets and and vlc should be happy. There wasnt any other change in that deps pet. You wont need DEV pets ....if you wont want to try to compile vlc with better luck in squeeze than I had. Billtoo :wink:

Compiling options, included about 400 modules and possible error messages of dependent libs you get in console: vlc -vvv ---list
Attachments
libmatroska-1.3-dpup.pet
(192.53 KiB) Downloaded 237 times
libebml-1.2-dpup.pet
(62.47 KiB) Downloaded 255 times
libebml_DEV-1.2-dpup.pet
(105.19 KiB) Downloaded 245 times

Billtoo

#526 Post by Billtoo »

pemasu wrote:
I also include here my compiled matroska dependent libs. They are included to the reuploaded deps pet...but if you dont want to download it again...just install these pets and and vlc should be happy. There wasnt any other change in that deps pet. You wont need DEV pets ....if you wont want to try to compile vlc with better luck in squeeze than I had. Billtoo :wink:
I tried the vlc-2.0.1 that I compiled in slacko-5.3.3 last night in exprimo and it works fine, I downloaded and tested the mkv test suite and it plays 6 out of 8, skips one altogether and starts to play one but moves on to the next after a couple of seconds.

I had no luck compiling vlc in exprimo, I will try again, using the slacko one is a lot easier though :)
Attachments
mkvtest.jpg
(154.7 KiB) Downloaded 1009 times

pemasu

#527 Post by pemasu »

Billtoo. The problem is that probably not all dependent libs are the same version when you use in the other distro compiled vlc. Ffmpeg libs av* libx264 etc might be incompatible versions. I do have self compiled ffmpeg in dpup which is quite new.
If you check with vlc -vvv --list the slacko compiled vlc in dpup...you might see those lib error messages in orange text.

Billtoo

#528 Post by Billtoo »

pemasu wrote:Billtoo. The problem is that probably not all dependent libs are the same version when you use in the other distro compiled vlc. Ffmpeg libs av* libx264 etc might be incompatible versions. I do have self compiled ffmpeg in dpup which is quite new.
If you check with vlc -vvv --list the slacko compiled vlc in dpup...you might see those lib error messages in orange text.
I'm in fatdog right now, I did a fatdog vlc last night too, it played 8/8 in the mkv test suite.
I try that command in the slacko compiled vlc shortly.

EDIT: Here's the errors that showed up when I did that command.
Attachments
errors1.txt.gz
(3.07 KiB) Downloaded 296 times

pemasu

#529 Post by pemasu »

Billtoo. There were 15 unmet dependencies. Most of them can be met by installing the missing lib deb and possibly also dev deb of that lib if needed.
But...[0x804cb48] main libvlc warning: cannot load module `/initrd/pup_ro1/usr/lib/vlc/plugins/gui/libskins2_plugin.so' (/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.14' not found (required by /initrd/pup_ro1/usr/lib/vlc/plugins/gui/libskins2_plugin.so))

This is bad.

# strings /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 | grep GLIBC
GLIBCXX_3.4
GLIBCXX_3.4.1
GLIBCXX_3.4.2
GLIBCXX_3.4.3
GLIBCXX_3.4.4
GLIBCXX_3.4.5
GLIBCXX_3.4.6
GLIBCXX_3.4.7
GLIBCXX_3.4.8
GLIBCXX_3.4.9
GLIBCXX_3.4.10
GLIBCXX_3.4.11
GLIBCXX_3.4.12
GLIBCXX_3.4.13
GLIBC_2.0
GLIBC_2.3
GLIBC_2.1
GLIBC_2.1.3
GLIBC_2.3.2
GLIBC_2.2
GLIBCXX_FORCE_NEW
GLIBCXX_DEBUG_MESSAGE_LENGTH

It means it is not supported by squeeze. No 3.4.14 in the list. That one cant be fixed. How important it is...maybe skin changing does not work and that is the only affected feature.

DC

#530 Post by DC »

Hi pemasu,
the VLC update works fine for mkv also plays avi and mp4.
Unfortunately it kills the DVB so back to default for normal usage.

thanks for the effort

DC

pemasu

#531 Post by pemasu »

DC. Thank you of the feedback again. Interesting about dvb. I have watched and kept open dvb-t connected tv stream whole day. Our net connection was broken several hours because of the thunder.
But tv stream worked.
So...dvb cant be totally broken. I tested with 2 sticks since I found my other stick also.
I tested with fresh frugal installation with pfix=ram.

pemasu

#532 Post by pemasu »

I just tested that reuploaded vlc again. From my hdd though. It worked again flawlessly with dvb-t tuner stick. i would like to get more feedback about it....

Billtoo has compiled also vlc in dpup exprimo. And he got matroska to play oob...6 out of 8 matroska test files.
So...there is something with my setup which inhibits matroska to play oob. Also he got the large support to the test videos and audios with less dependent libs. There were only about 5 dependency libs to add. I could reduce my selection a lot. Well....I added support to many formats which are not so usual.

But...there was some elements still under the work. But this has been really good progress with VLC compiling in dpup exprimo.

pemasu

#533 Post by pemasu »

Heh. I got it. I should have checked what patches squeeze vlc-2.0.1 includes.

Code: Select all

--- vlc-2.0.1.orig/modules/demux/mkv/mkv.hpp
+++ vlc-2.0.1/modules/demux/mkv/mkv.hpp
@@ -115,7 +115,7 @@ extern "C" {

#define MKVD_TIMECODESCALE 1000000

-#define MKV_IS_ID( el, C ) ( el != NULL && typeid( *el ) == typeid( C ) )
+#define MKV_IS_ID( el, C ) ( EbmlId( (*el) ) == C::ClassInfos.GlobalId )

using namespace LIBMATROSKA_NAMESPACE;
That fixes the mkv demuxer error. I have tested the patched source and indeed it works. It plays matroska oob.

Off topic. Had some nice happenings in my life. We get the newspaper from our summer house city...they take good care of their summer people. There was nice story about wobbler maker who has crafted wobblers 15 years. And the picture in the story....there was my son with his 3 kg zander. The pic I have taken 2 years ago and I sent the pic to the wobbler maker as gift how great catch his wobbler got. It was touching to see that pic in newspaper. Somehow the pic was choosed to the newspaper, lol. Great photographer, lol.

Yesterday I did rollerblade with poles first time after operation. I pushed to the left so...my right arm mostly just hanged. It was great to excercise again. Just 5 km trip at first. I will target to 30 km during my sick leave, lol. But...there was live european common viper in the road asphalt. I just had to inspect it. It didnt attack my ski pole, just vibrated its tongue. Then I lifted it with pole to the air. Well...not exciting, it just hanged there. Then I left it down and it quickly escaped to the forest. There are always dead vipers along the road where I bladerun. There is a lot forests and the warm asphalt is the place where they bath the sun and enjoy the warmness. Shame i didnt have cell phone with me to take a pic.

Here is the pic attached I took 2 years ago of my son and the 3 kg pikeperch which was in the newspaper.

pemasu

#534 Post by pemasu »

Second reupload of vlc-2.0.1-dpup and vlc-2.0.1-deps-dpup.
I hope I got it now right. Subtitles support is tricky. It needs quite a work to get included. Puppy /usr/lib/gconv reduced character set files was also one obstacle. I did add there the whole set and it was also needed to get subtitles to work while compiling. The large set is not needed when you use vlc though. Now I have working compiling pet and debs folder. I can just extract debs to the folder with right click command and create extracted-debs pet, install bunch of other pets and I have ready vlc compiling environment in couple of minutes.

Matroska ie mkv demuxer works now oob after patching the source. Dvb-t tuner stick worked. All the test media files played. Recording works and subtitles preserves in recordings.

The download link in previous announcement post:http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 508#636508

DC

all working

#535 Post by DC »

Hi pemasu,
Just to let you know. VLC all now working including the old DVB. Will try and compile for my new stick at the weekend

thanks

DC

pemasu

#536 Post by pemasu »

Thanks DC. If you need any help with compiling, let me know...

pemasu

#537 Post by pemasu »

Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.2.2 with kernel 3.4.2 has been uploaded.
I used latest woof2, which had significant improvements for Quicksetup at first boot. Now woof2 behaved nicely while building. All the other Barry Kauler`s fixes of course included.

I have fixed several small bugs in distro. Upgraded applications. Firefox-13.01, Radky`s serial of Pup applications, Zigbert`s Pmusic (I have full support for pmusic addendum), Pburn, Pfind, Pfilesearch, don570`s latest apps with Rox right click support, you2pup downloader fixed, Mplayer2 from latest git compiled and upgraded, puppy-exprimo database file in PPM updated to have all latest multimedia compiles and other compiles, Shinobar`s grub4dos latest, Getnvidia pet in puppy-exprimo repo, nvidia-glx in puppy-exprimo repo, Ffconvert-1.3 (with new screen capture property, enjoy and create Exprimo demo), Uget-1.82, coupled with aria2c (included) so that Uget downloads torrent files also, magnet links are supported by aria2c also, but I dont know how to get Uget to understand them. Transmission linked to the Firefox for torrent files. Just click download. How to get link to Firefox for magnet links still over my head, lol.

Rerwin`s latest b43-b43legacy-b44-bcma-brcm-wl broadcom chip autodetector-driver autoloader bundle. Please...give feedback those broadcom owners !

Cprpager viewer for .cpr comic book files added. I have bunch of Captain America, Iron Man, X-men files from 60`s and 70`s, heh.

In exprimo repo for multimedia: Smplayer (with subtitles autodownloader), Smtube, Umplayer, Gxine/xine-lib, VLC-2.0.1, Deadbeef latest 0.5.5, Avidemux-2.55 (gtk), Avidemux-2.6 (qt), Spotify, Musescore-1.1.

Download link: http://smokey01.com/pemasu/DpupSqueeze5 ... imo5X3422/
Attachments
Dpup-Exprimo-5.X.3.4.2.2.jpg
(103.64 KiB) Downloaded 647 times
Last edited by pemasu on Fri 29 Jun 2012, 09:38, edited 8 times in total.

James C

#538 Post by James C »

Guess I'd better wait a bit before downloading....only a 66 mb iso at the moment. :lol: Slow uploading is fun.... :)

pemasu

#539 Post by pemasu »

Hah ! I should have known you would be there before the upload was finished. Lol. Now it is :)

James C

#540 Post by James C »

I don't sleep much..... :lol:
Downloading now....