OSD Monitors

Core libraries and systems
harii4

OSD Monitors

#1 Post by harii4 »

OSD Monitors
http://ava.wz.cz/osd_monitors.html
OSD Monitors is the ideal tool for those of us, who prefer simple window managers and don't want precious screen space cluttered with panels, icons and other rubbish (my WM of choice is pekwm). It uses the xosd library to transparently display various textual monitors on a fixed position of the screen. If there should be multiple monitors running at the same time, user is expected to run multiple instances of osd_monitors with different parameters. It is written in pure C, runs under Linux (X Windows), and has very few dependencies and very low CPU and memory footprint.

Features
* Uses libxosd2 for achieving pseudo-transparency. Floats on top of all windows (is shaped and unmanaged), everything but the letters is transparent.

* User definable string format, font, position, outline, drop shadow.

* Intelligent unit display (automatically switches to kB/MB/…. units depending on value).

* User definable colors for different values (CPU utilization can show green/yellow/red depending on value).

* Can hide/show/toggle visibility upon signal receive. Define keyboard shortcuts in your favourite WM and toggle visibility when the monitors obscure some part of the screen you need to see.

* Compact, easy to modify GPLed C source code you can alter to suit your needs.

Code: Select all

# osd_monitors -h
USAGE: osd_monitors [-flag args]
	-T, --type	type of the monitor: clock(default), cpu, ...
	-D, --device	device (monitor type dependent). Must come after monitor type!
	-F, --format	format string (monitor dependent). Must come after monitor type!
	-f, --font	fully qualified font.
	-c, --color	color. (default: green)
	-s, --shadow	drop shadow offset. (default: 0)
	-O, --outline-width	outline width. (default: 0)
	-C, --outline-color	outline color. (default: black)
	-L, --level-colors	list of value:color pairs, for monitors where color can change with value
	-t, --top	locate at top of screen (default: bottom)
	-v, --vcenter	locate in vertical center of screen (default: bottom)
	-b, --bottom	locate at bottom of screen (default)
	-r, --right	locate at right of screen (default: left)
	-m, --middle	locate at middle of screen (default: left)
	-l, --left	locate at left of screen (default)
	-o, --offset	vertical offset in pixels. (default: 0)
	-H, --hoffset	horizontal offset in pixels. (default: 0)
	-i, --interval	interval (time between updates) in seconds
	-h, --help	this help message
Available monitors (for the --type option):
	clock	Simple clock, strftime(3) format. Device not used. Default format="%a %b %e %H:%M:%S %G".
	cpu	Cpu activity monitor. Default device="cpu0". Default format="CPU: %.0f%%".
	ctxt	Context switches per second monitor. Device not used. Default format="ctxt: %i switches/s".
	runps	Processes in the RUNNING state monitor. Device not used. Default format="procs: %.0f".
	mem	Used memory monitor. Device not used. Default format="Mem: %U%%, %uB/%tB".
	swap	Swap usage monitor. Device not used. Default format="Swap: %U%%, %uB/%tB".
	swapact	Swapping activity monitor. Device not used. Default format="swapact: %tB (%iB in/%oB out)".
	disk	Disk usage monitor. Device is some file on the disk I display usage for!. Default device="/". Default format="Disk: %U%%, %uB/%tB".
	diskact	Disk activity monitor. Default device="hda". Default format="diskact: %tB (%iB in/%oB out)".
	net	Network activity monitor. Default device="eth0". Default format="eth0: %tB (%iB in/%oB out)".
Attachments
osd_monitors-0.1-i486-1.pet
scr2pet on txz-pup
(20.95 KiB) Downloaded 475 times
xosd-2.2.14-i486-1.pet
xosd library
scr2pkg on txz-pup
(66.85 KiB) Downloaded 472 times
3.01 Fat Free / Fire Hydrant featherweight/ TXZ_pup / 431JP2012
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peace and Justice are two sides of the same coin.