pMusic 6.0.0

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
zigbert

#1221 Post by zigbert »

greengeek
Browse (with the internal browser) to the folder of your liking, and choose 'Add all' from the Music-Source menu.

Sigmund

greengeek

#1222 Post by greengeek »

zigbert wrote:greengeek
Browse (with the internal browser) to the folder of your liking, and choose 'Add all' from the Music-Source menu.
Thanks Sigmund. I tried this (took me a while because I did not realise initially that the browsing is "single-click" not double :-) ) but it seems that it is necessary to go into the deepest folder and add the tracks just from that folder, instead of being able to add a group of folders. Am I using this wrong, or is this a normal limitation?

I would like to be able to add my entire "Music" folder to the playlist (and then select "random play", but I don't want to have to go into each folder one by one to add them to the playlist. Hope you can understand what I am trying to explain.
Attachments
pburn add all.jpg
(50.25 KiB) Downloaded 480 times

zigbert

#1223 Post by zigbert »

greengeek
I fully understand you (I hope :) )
It seems you are used to another kind of audio players that uses the playlist as its music storage - Like Winamp. Pmusic on the other hand is not clever with huge playlists. Instead it want you to work in the Music-source field which is built to handle enormous music collections. What is one of Pmusic strengths is that the Playlist(s) integrates well with other tools like copy/convert/rip/burn/masstag. With this in mind, the playlist (in Pmusic) is not the place to dump stuff, but the place to collect the tracks you actually want to act on; and acting of course includes playing....

Here follows 3 quests from the Pmusic FAQ

When I dump all my thousands of songs into a playlist, Pmusic becomes real slow?

Yes, depending on your CPU, Pmusic starts to become slow after adding some hundreds songs. But there is a solution. Please keep in mind a typical 150 song playlist is probably a 8+ hour long session. If your collection is larger than that, I recommend you to index the music files. It is a much faster way of selecting your songs to play. See next question for more information.

Why should I index my music?

There is no need of indexing your audio files. Pmusic has a builtin file-browser where you can find your music and add it to the playlist. This works perfectly for small music collections. If you on the other hand experience that it's hard to navigate through your huge collection, it's time to consider indexing.

You might think that 'indexing' sounds advanced, - but it's not. it is only a table holding information about all your songs and albums. This makes it easy to sort your music by artist, album, song name.... Also, Pmusic lists 20000 songs from your index in a blink of an eye. Open a directory with the same amount of files, you can drink a cup of coffee while waiting. While building the table (the index), Pmusic scans your system for audio files. It is possible to run various filters during this scan. ie. 'files in the same directory belongs together, and should be put in a new album'. Pmusic offers some simple filters depending on your collection structure.

But the biggest advantage of an index is its speed when searching for a song. Pmusic searches so fast that the search result shows up while typing. The downside is that the index must be refreshed after adding more music to your collection.

So if you have a large library, indexing is the way to go. Because of the search speed, you can create a playlist "session" to suit your needs of the moment quite quickly. When you have a playlist the way you want it, you can always save it for reuse later.

But hey, since I can't put my entire collection into the playlist, how can I play a random song?

In Pmusic you have to first 'Add random songs' from the music-source (browser) field into the playlist, - then play. You can define how many songs you want to pick randomly from the list of your music sources.

This way gives an improved random feature... Because Pmusic picks random tracks only from the shown list in the music-source field, you can finetune the random feature. Ie. First search for TNT, and then pick 10 random TNT-songs.

zigbert

#1224 Post by zigbert »

greengeek
I see that it should offer a 'recursive' checkbox for 'Add random'. Added to todo list.

This could be valid for 'Add all', but I really don't want users to do this... because Pmusic probably becomes a bad experience.

Sigmund

OscarTalks

#1225 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello Sigmund,

I have installed Pmusic 2.6.3 in Slacko 5.3.3 and Lupu Plus 5.2.8-005 on another computer but I can't see the "Stop" function in the "Track" menu.

I can see a line in the file /usr/local/pmusic/gui_menu

Is there something else I need to do?

Many thanks for all the hard work.
Oscar in England

zigbert

#1226 Post by zigbert »

OscarTalks
I wonder how you made it? :)

in /root/.pmusic/tmp/, there is some xml files which is the gui-code. These should be removed during version check in /usr/local/pmusic/pmusic line 45. In fact all temporary files are removed, but to get a fresh gui-build the xml-files has to go.

Another way is to change frontend in the view-menu. That will also remove old xml-files.

The xml-files is stored for next run to make the startup time faster.

Sigmund

OscarTalks

#1227 Post by OscarTalks »

Sigmund,
I just cliked on the .pet on page 1.
I had installed 2.6.2 a few days previously and I uninstalled that in PPM before installing 2.6.3 (thinking it would just roll back to the original 2.5.3 and I didn't need the extra entry in the list of installed programs)
Maybe I should not have done this.
Oscar in England

zigbert

#1228 Post by zigbert »

OscarTalks wrote:Sigmund,
I just cliked on the .pet on page 1.
I had installed 2.6.2 a few days previously and I uninstalled that in PPM before installing 2.6.3 (thinking it would just roll back to the original 2.5.3 and I didn't need the extra entry in the list of installed programs)
Maybe I should not have done this.
It shouldn't matter. Let's keep an eye on this. If it happens again, please report.

Thank you
Sigmund

vicmz

Re: locale not working

#1229 Post by vicmz »

zigbert wrote:
vicmz wrote:Pmusic 2.6.3 working fine. The only bug is the GUI remains English despite default system language being Spanish. I'm translating the latest Pmusic and I can't see the translations on the GUI. I tried restarting X and rebooting, no changes. I have a Wary 5.3 frugal install to USB key, UTF-8 turned on.

BTW, I like the new choice for saving geometry, makes it more comfortable.
I 'think' your problem is that Pmusic has changed structure of the locale-files. The older model (which you probably are using) holds the spanish file as /usr/local/pmusic/locals/es:ES_spanish, while the new file is /usr/share/locales/es/LC_MESSAGES/pmusic

Good luck
Sigmund
Thanks. I have another question, where's the locale file for Pmusic 2.6.3, since you no longer have a 'locales' folder in this version? I'm using the file from 2.6.2 and I can't find a couple of strings, for example 'Quit and save geometry'.

zigbert

#1230 Post by zigbert »

vicmz
Please look for /usr/local/pmusic/locales or the symlink in /usr/share/locales/en/LC_MESSAGES/pmusic

vicmz

#1231 Post by vicmz »

Thanks! I'll post in the language support thread when I'm done.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

recobayu

#1232 Post by recobayu »

is it possible with pmusic to "drag n drop"? (like gnome-mplayer).
i select some file and then just drop it to pmusic..
i'm very like the pequalizer and file info..
good job zigbert..
:wink:

zigbert

#1233 Post by zigbert »

recobayu wrote:is it possible with pmusic to "drag n drop"? (like gnome-mplayer).
i select some file and then just drop it to pmusic..
i'm very like the pequalizer and file info..
good job zigbert..
:wink:
Sorry about that, but atm gtkdialog (that is pmusic' gui-library) does not support drag'n drop.
BUT, on the other hand, you can simply click on the file in the filemanager, and it will add itself to the playlist. (As long as Pmusic is the default audioplayer)

Sigmund

don570

#1234 Post by don570 »

When I use Pemasu's Exprimo it allows me to use
drag and drop of files and folders into
folder select and file select boxes that gtkdialog scripts use.

I don't know how Pemasu does that trick but it's neat!!! :lol:

If you could integrate that feature into pmusic
it would nice feature. Maybe drag a music file to
a special area in the pmusic window and the file
is added automatically to current playlist.

esmourguit

#1235 Post by esmourguit »

Hello Zigbert,
There are two LOC2913 in /usr/local/pmusic/locales :

LOC2913="Copy / Convert / Rip / Record"
LOC2913="Start with number"

Which one is the good one?

What is the "- NLS: Added: $LOC_STOP " in changelog of 24/06?

Thanks ;)
[url=http://moulinier.net/][color=blue][b]Toutou Linux[/b][/color][/url] - [url=http://toutoulinux.free.fr/pet.php][color=blue][b]Paquets français[/b][/color][/url]

nooby

#1236 Post by nooby »

I trust that PMusic works as intended but
my personal needs is met or get satisfied
in a better way by using Gnome MPlayer.

If I start a mp3 in Pmusic and then try to move say 2 minutes into a 60 minutes
radio program then Pmusic fails to do that while GMplayer allow me to.

No criticism I most likely ask for something not promised to be possible
or even thought of by the maker of Pmusic or a feature I fail to activate?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

recobayu

add a folder to pmusic playlist

#1237 Post by recobayu »

just now, i do some "oprek" with folder and pmusic. i add a folder to pmusic playlist.
1. right click on a folder that contain music file (.mp3, .wav, .ogg else)
2. i choose "Customize menu..."
3. a message box appear, i click ok and rox open at ~/.config/rox.sorceforge.net/SendTo/.inode_directory
4. i make a script by right click, New, Script. i rename to "addtopmusic"
5. shift and click file "addtopmusic", then i add this script:

Code: Select all

pmusic -a "$@"
now i can add a folder to playlist pmusic.
very nice with pmusic..
:D

zigbert

#1238 Post by zigbert »

esmourguit wrote:Hello Zigbert,
There are two LOC2913 in /usr/local/pmusic/locales :

LOC2913="Copy / Convert / Rip / Record"
LOC2913="Start with number"

Which one is the good one?

What is the "- NLS: Added: $LOC_STOP " in changelog of 24/06?

Thanks ;)
The last 2913 will be 2914 in next release. - Thank you.
line 53 in the locales file:

LOC_STOP="Stop"
Is this unclear?

Sigmund

zigbert

#1239 Post by zigbert »

nooby wrote:I trust that PMusic works as intended but
my personal needs is met or get satisfied
in a better way by using Gnome MPlayer.

If I start a mp3 in Pmusic and then try to move say 2 minutes into a 60 minutes
radio program then Pmusic fails to do that while GMplayer allow me to.

No criticism I most likely ask for something not promised to be possible
or even thought of by the maker of Pmusic or a feature I fail to activate?
Pmusic supports moving 'play-time' by dragging the slider, but if moving several times if might freeze... If you know the exact time you want to jump to, there is an option in the 'Track' menu for that.

BUT, if you are streaming your radio program (not a local file), Pmusic will get trouble. At the moment ffmpeg is not clever to jump into streams..... I have not testes recent ffmpeg - it is very actively developed.

Sigmund

zigbert

Re: add a folder to pmusic playlist

#1240 Post by zigbert »

recobayu wrote:just now, i do some "oprek" with folder and pmusic. i add a folder to pmusic playlist.
1. right click on a folder that contain music file (.mp3, .wav, .ogg else)
2. i choose "Customize menu..."
3. a message box appear, i click ok and rox open at ~/.config/rox.sorceforge.net/SendTo/.inode_directory
4. i make a script by right click, New, Script. i rename to "addtopmusic"
5. shift and click file "addtopmusic", then i add this script:

pmusic -a "$@"
now i can add a folder to playlist pmusic.
very nice with pmusic..
:D
Thank you for the tip!
Another way is to use the 'Add all' option in the builtin file-browser. See Music-sources menu.

Sigmund