Fatdog64-600b2

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
gcmartin

Hardinfo (I love this version used by Kirk)

#41 Post by gcmartin »

OK, the team's finding on a technology challenged night: (eg. that is spelled "Beer, lies, and internet")

For starters, we were looking at the Hardinfo comparison of FATDOG 5.21 and FATDOG 600. in the summary section we notice that 600 is taking 1.8GB of a 4GB system vs 521 taking only 356MB.

Thus, this appears to mean that either the memory model has changed or that there are some debug tools active in the Alpha-Beta test releases that will be yanked at GA.

More to come
Attachments
HardInfo-report_with_FREE.tar.gz
The Hardinfo report. Please notice that there is NO swap drive currently used in this testing
(9.59 KiB) Downloaded 545 times
Last edited by gcmartin on Thu 28 Jun 2012, 20:35, edited 2 times in total.

gcmartin

Remaster ISO and PXE use

#42 Post by gcmartin »

Exposed yesterday about the inability to boot a Remaster that did NOT have any PETs installed (desktop customizatons ONLY) on the desktop PC.

The only changes to the system was local cosmetics to the desktop in a first run of the Remaster tool to see its operations..

When we copy all the files from the ISO to /root/tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg folder, the 64bit LAN PC can PXE and boot the OOTB Fatdog600 after renaming isolinux.cfg to default.

But, when same process is tried using the Remaster's ISO, the result is failure.

Below, is the different ISO's folder content.

Code: Select all

_____________ Files on the FD600beta2 ISO ______________________
total 203826
-r--r--r-- 1 root root      2048 2012-06-24 20:31 boot.catalog
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 205029888 2012-06-24 20:31 initrd
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root     24576 2012-06-24 19:54 isolinux.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 spot spot       211 2012-06-24 20:31 isolinux.cfg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root     20550 2012-05-04 11:14 logo.16
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   3637152 2012-06-24 20:31 vmlinuz
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root      2048 2012-06-17 06:37 help

total 6	<=== files from help directory from the above ISO root 
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1029 2012-04-17 19:23 basesfs.msg
-rw-r--r-- 1 spot spot  105 2010-10-09 18:44 boot.msg
-rw-r--r-- 1 spot spot 1367 2012-06-05 03:12 help.msg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1283 2012-06-17 06:37 savefile.msg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  963 2012-04-17 19:24 startnet.msg

_____________ Files on the Remaster ISO ______________________
total 204405
-r--r--r-- 1 root root      2048 2012-06-27 14:49 boot.catalog
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root        40 2012-06-27 15:39 boot.msg
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 205645348 2012-06-27 15:39 initrd
-rwxr-xr-x 0 root root     24576 2012-06-27 15:39 isolinux.bin
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root       108 2012-06-27 15:39 isolinux.cfg
-rwxr-xr-x 0 root root   3637152 2012-06-27 15:39 vmlinuz
Here to help

gcmartin

Realizing that we are in Beta stage and working to GA

#43 Post by gcmartin »

FATDOG is designed to run on 64bit systems. It is Stable, integrated and fast. I have tested it and find it appealing. I had 3 of my senior buddies take it for a spin and discuss what they see. We see some marked additions added to the system for better systems management. But we also can foresee some user difficulties as existing Linux users or even those with some awareness may experience some startup hardships in its deployment and its use.

We also found that a couple of key subsystems are very aged or missing.

But, the appearance of this distro is a demonstration of some different approaches to boot, setup, and maintenance of a Puppy distro.
The tool sets included before boot and after desktop arrival have a newness and a freshness not seen by Puppy users until now.
They are thought-thru and presented in a different, though, logical layout. And, one can envision there usefulness with the useful stuff available in its desktop. USB processing is just one of many. Even perusing through the hardinfo reports produces some new awarenesses (see attached).

Because of its newness, users migrating directly from Windows/Macs who have never seen Linux or Puppy before now, will be starting out on this new approach.

But for current users of Puppy or Linux distros, this new approach will take some adjustments to arrive at a comfort level.

One missing thing, that I have been convince of its usefulness is a beginning "status-localization" screen that is used in all of the newer PUPs. I don't think FATDOG would lose anything by having such a startup offering either.

Another missing thing is JAVA/OpenJAVA as it paves the way for running applications that are built and run in Windows/Macs/Linux/Pads/Phones on FATDOG same as we do with video/audio formats.

Finally, the SAMBA component is NOT the 2012 version. It is a very antiquated version with missing SAMBA tools.

There are other missing items such as ability to read LVMs but, the above 3 we felt were the most pressing of items for a 64bit system.

We all agreed that this system has a lot of leeway for taking advantage of the PCs it is designed for. Namely, 64bit PCs with a built-in Ethernet adapter on the motherboard. None of us remember any 512MB 64bit PCs (not that there are not any...we've just have never seen any that ship from any factory we know of). Thus, using this small group, 1GB is the smallest 64bit PC we know of.

Thus FATDOG is inherently designed for 64bit PCs, with Ethernet adapter and 1GB+ RAM. With this kind of firepower and it only taking 100MB+ RAM when in use at desktop, there is little reason for any concern about "size" or power for any desktop user...based upon its current design. Missing subsystems could only bring increase user acceptance and greater overall benefit.

But, what does a bunch of old-IT-guys know???

gcmartin

Hostname being addressed in 600

#44 Post by gcmartin »

Fatdog for years has had issues with Hostname and hostname update. It has been improved in this latest FATDOG600 version. There is now an option in its Control Panel (Menu>Setup>...)

This is a welcome asset to FATDOG. Thanks.

But, I want to share what one observes and propose an offer that I think would help.

Here's a progress report from the console on what one sees.

# echo ******** fields at desktop arrival **************
******** fields at desktop arrival **************

# echo hostname
hostname
# hostname
fatdog64-64216
# echo $HOSTNAME
fatdog64-64216
# cat /etc/hostname
fatdog64-64216
# cat /etc/hosts   
127.0.0.1 localhost fatdog64-64216
192.168.1.1 pc2
192.168.1.2 pc3
192.168.1.3 pc4

# echo ******** after use of Control Panel tool for Hostname**************
******** after use of Control Panel tool for Hostname**************

# hostname
FATDOG600-beta2
# echo $HOSTNAME
fatdog64-64216 <=== problem here
# cat /etc/hostname
FATDOG600-beta2
# cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost FATDOG600-beta2
192.168.1.1 pc2
192.168.1.2 pc3
192.168.1.3 pc4

# echo ******** after X exit and logout at Cntrl-Alt-F1 terminal prompt **************
******** after X exit and logout at Cntrl-Alt-F1 terminal prompt **************

# logout
# hostname
FATDOG600-beta2
# echo $HOSTNAME
FATDOG600-beta2 <=== fixed by logout which re-drove desktop restart
# cat /etc/hostname
FATDOG600-beta2
# cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost FATDOG600-beta2
192.168.1.1 pc2
192.168.1.2 pc3
192.168.1.3 pc4

# echo ******** All system fields are in agreement now. **************
******** All system fields are in agreement now. **************
It has been shown in the past by other distro developers that a logout will allow ALL of the fields to come into total agreement.

Request:
Please automatically option to restart the desktop on behalf of the user. There is nothing wrong with ALSO advising system restart, also.

Here to help
Last edited by gcmartin on Thu 28 Jun 2012, 20:59, edited 1 time in total.

nooby

#45 Post by nooby »

I am so bad at finding text .
Where do you guys tell us how to increase the savefile?
Does one have to start anew? Is there some way to get
the Firewall show in tray if it is activated or not?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

gcmartin

Offer - textual corrections to your BOOT Options Help screen

#46 Post by gcmartin »

Hope the text help clear some understanding. Mostly missing words or minor stuff to improve its readability.

Here to help
Attachments
Corrections to Boot Options Help screen.tar.gz
Corrections to Boot Options Help screen. Its your HTML with corrections.
(8.77 KiB) Downloaded 342 times

jamesbond

#47 Post by jamesbond »

Sage wrote:Sound isn't working. Spent a couple of hours checking everything today, so your beta3 will be interesting. Looks like the Ubuntu link confirmation report pertains.
I am afraid there isn't much I can do :( Googling further, I found that the problem seems to surface sometime around Mar 2012 (mostly in Ubuntu) and there isn't any solution. Other results are from 2005 and 2003 which probably aren't relevant anymore.

https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s ... ion/197852
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/955194
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s ... ion/191780
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=80785
nooby wrote:Haha Grandr has a competing prog named Zarfy
that do the same thing if one go to the Control Panel?

Can one have an icon on the desktop to the Control panel maybe?
I got to know zarfy from Jemimah. Jemimah has since abandoned it and moved on to Grandr; but I like zarfy better :)
01micko wrote:
capicoso wrote:Hey, this is a general linux 64bit question... When i download a source, do i have to specify that my system is 64bits? or i just do the usual ./configure make make install?
As far as I know, just ./configure should work because by default most bins install to /usr/local/bin, /usr/local/lib etc.

However, if you are compiling to package for other users then it is advisable to set "--prefix=/usr" at a minimum. Most distros set "--sysconfdir=/etc" and ''--localstatedir=/var" and for 64 bit "--libdir=/usr/lib64".. you could run into trouble if you install 32 bit compatibility libraries without that last one. If you are compiling on your machine for your machine architecture then the compiler will guess correctly your architecture.
I usually use at least --prefix /usr --libdir /usr/lib64; but this is if you intend your apps to be part of of your main setup. Otherwise you can live with no parameters at all and your binaries will live in /usr/local. Sometimes I add --sysconfdir and --localstatedir as Mick said above.
capicoso wrote:Another question. How to use bluetooth? I tried hciconfig and hcitool on console but they aren't installed... Is there other tool ?
There isn't any bluetooth tool in Fatdog at the moment. I'm considering it; but since we're close to the finish line, this will probably not be in 600. It may be in 610 or 620 - depending how things are looking then. Of course, you're welcome to compile and experiment the bluez stack (and obex stuff too) if you wish, if you've got it working let me know :)
nooby wrote:I am so bad at finding text .
Where do you guys tell us how to increase the savefile?
Boot with "savefile=none", then use the savefile tool in Control Panel.
Does one have to start anew? Is there some way to get
the Firewall show in tray if it is activated or not?
Not out of the box. Somebody will have to write that applet for lxpanel. I think there is probably an applet already for JWM.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

jamesbond

Re: double oops

#48 Post by jamesbond »

DC wrote:Whilst creating a new partition in gparted(fdb1 cd boot) the desktop drive icons had a wobbly for a few seconds then unsorted themselves and a couple disappeared. Restarting X solved that.
I need to test this.
grub4dos did not pick up fd600 a2,b1 or b2. Found everything else.Maybe not having a gz extension on the initrd? would cause this.
Shinobar, are you listening? :D

No, I don't think it's because of the missing .gz extension. In fact Fatdog64-600 is unique (among puppies) that it does not compress it's initrd at all, thus no extension.

cheers!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

nooby

#49 Post by nooby »

Thanks JB. Haha I ahve already looked for that one three times yesterday.
"Boot with "savefile=none", then use the savefile tool in Control Panel. "

I guess my brain is deteriorating at a much faster pace than I want to admit to.
I still have not fixed the time thing. If I boot into FatDog and then reboot
into Lupu again then the Lupu is two hours offset to what it originally where.

Some kind fellow told me how to fix this but I am too scared to try it. :)
I've made a bookmark to that text I hope.

jamesbond

#50 Post by jamesbond »

@gcmartin:
The Remaster would NOT boot over PXE kernel locks/spins...dead.
I really have no idea. I created a dozen remasters - some with pup_rw, some with devx, some with both; and all of them works - either booted as ISO, or booted via PXE. I tried PXE booting as iso, or extracted as initrd and vmlinuz; either way works.
For starters, we were looking at the Hardinfo comparison of FATDOG 5.21 and FATDOG 600. in the summary section we notice that 600 is taking 1.8GB of a 4GB system vs 521 taking only 356MB.
To get meaningful memory comparison:
1. Boot 521 with pfix=ram
2. Boot 600 with savefile=none
3. In both systems, at terminal,

echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches; free
But, when same process is tried using the Remaster's ISO, the result is failure.
I don't know how I can help because I can't reproduce the problem here. All my remasters work fine. The file listing looks correct, the file sizes look correct too. Anyone else having problems with remasters?
Below, is the different ISO's folder content.
Yes, the remaster won't have those *.msg files.
Another missing thing is JAVA/OpenJAVA as it paves the way for running applications that are built and run in Windows/Macs/Linux/Pads/Phones on FATDOG same as we do with video/audio formats.
Java is available as SFS. Use the excellent SFSManager (available from Control Panel) from 01micko to download and install it.
Finally, the SAMBA component is NOT the 2012 version. It is a very antiquated version with missing SAMBA tools.
It serves the needs. 80/20 rule. If you need full Samba 01micko has kindly compiled the the latest and it is available through the package manager.
Thus FATDOG is inherently designed for 64bit PCs, with Ethernet adapter and 1GB+ RAM. With this kind of firepower and it only taking 100MB+ RAM when in use at desktop, there is little reason for any concern about "size" or power for any desktop user...based upon its current design. Missing subsystems could only bring increase user acceptance and greater overall benefit.
Yes, because the entire Fatdog is loaded into RAM by default. Even when I have 8GB of memory, I still want my OS to be as small as possible. I prefer those extra memory to be used by *applications* rather than being eaten there as OS overhead. If we follow this kind of thinking we will end up with something like Winblows that requires 15GB of harddisk space just to install the OS and 2GB just to run the OS.
It has been shown in the past by other distro developers that a logout will allow ALL of the fields to come into total agreement.
Yes, it will. However it is not necessary. $HOSTNAME is a bash-specific convenience variable and should not be used. Use $(hostname) instead; that will always give consistent result.
Hope the text help clear some understanding. Mostly missing words or minor stuff to improve its readability.
Thanks, I have incorporated some of the changes.

Moving forward
- Beta2 will end soon.
- Next release will be "rc" (release candidate).
- Barring unforeseen circumstances, "rc" will become final. Otherwise, one more release for final.

Let me and kirk know of any last minute bugs (and probably fixes if you have that!) :D
Last edited by jamesbond on Fri 29 Jun 2012, 08:37, edited 1 time in total.

Gobbi

#51 Post by Gobbi »

Please , can anyone give me a hint : I was curious to see how john pet could be used and I have installed it . I don't know what it does exactly ...
No trace of it in the MENU or Control Panel . It's only to be used through Terminal ?

jamesbond

#52 Post by jamesbond »

Gobbi wrote:Please , can anyone give me a hint : I was curious to see how john pet could be used and I have installed it . I don't know what it does exactly ...
No trace of it in the MENU or Control Panel . It's only to be used through Terminal ?
I'll leave that to kirk :)

jamesbond

#53 Post by jamesbond »

nooby wrote:But I am curious on the usage of not saving until it is really needed pretending the HD is a big usb disk.
The original purpose for this is to lengthen the lifetime of the flash drive. Instead of saving every single little thing to the disk when the OS says so; we use the RAM layer to cache all those changes and consolidate the saving into one big, bulk writes to flash drive; say, ever 30 mins or so.
Good point: lengthen flash drive lifetime.
Bad point: crash / power failure ==> lost of data (that haven't been saved yet). You can enable this in puppy too with "pmedia=ataflash" or "pmedia=ideflash".

But some people like this feature and use it to control of when or what gets saved to the savefile. Some would like to, for example, boot the system *and* use the savefile *but* do not want to save anything during the session. There are threads at length asking how to do this :) Fatdog supports this too - like Puppy, just change the RAMSAVEINTERVAL to zero in the Event Manager :wink:

Sylvander

#54 Post by Sylvander »

1. I much prefer to...
Be able to choose whether and when "to save or not to save"...
Either during the session, or at shutdown/reboot.

2. The above makes useful and interesting things possible.
e.g.
(a) I just now installed Thunderbird-3.1.9 here in Slacko-5.3.3.1-SCSI.
I had clicked the "Save" icon immediately prior to installing Thunderbird.
I then tested the newly installed Thunderbird, and it seems OK.
So I again click "Save" to keep the installation.

(b) Had it all gone horribly wrong...
I'd have rebooted without saving...
And the installation would not be saved [therefore GONE].
And I could make a 2nd attempt at getting it right.

nooby

#55 Post by nooby »

I support what Sylvander suggest here above. That seems a good way
to prevent that failing installs get into savefile. Another way would be
to do backups of savefiles but that is not as practical as how Sylvander
suggests.

Re the FatDog RC. Do you prefer we test that one without reusing
the old savfile for 2 then? And what is most important to test?

Not to be picky in a nasty way but I would prefer that the FAQ
would have a subdirectory for FatDog and not place everything
at / and maybe also use this one for grub4dos.

title FatDog Beta 2 (FD2) Frugal install on Sda2
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /FD2/initrd
kernel /FD2/vmlinuz psubdir=FD2 savefile=direct:device:sda2:/FD2/fd64save.ext3
initrd /FD2/initrd

That way a noob not realizing that puppy users that prefer to test
many puppies can have several in frugal install on same partition
if one separate them naming the directories after the version of Puppy.

As the FAQ says now they get the impression one can have many
puppies and never put the files in a subdir? Or maybe it is just me

jamesbond

#56 Post by jamesbond »

Sylvander wrote:1. I much prefer to...
Be able to choose whether and when "to save or not to save"...
Either during the session, or at shutdown/reboot.

2. The above makes useful and interesting things possible.
e.g.
(a) I just now installed Thunderbird-3.1.9 here in Slacko-5.3.3.1-SCSI.
I had clicked the "Save" icon immediately prior to installing Thunderbird.
I then tested the newly installed Thunderbird, and it seems OK.
So I again click "Save" to keep the installation.

(b) Had it all gone horribly wrong...
I'd have rebooted without saving...
And the installation would not be saved [therefore GONE].
And I could make a 2nd attempt at getting it right.
Enable the use of RAM layer. Instead of "savefile=direct:blahblahlablah" use "savefile=ram:blahblahblah" instead.
Then set the RAMSAVEINTERVAL (using Event Manager on Control Panel) to either zero, or to a super high value (e.g. 1440 - that 1440 minutes or 24 hours). Then you can click "Save" as needed.
nooby wrote:I support what Sylvander suggest here above. That seems a good way
to prevent that failing installs get into savefile. Another way would be
to do backups of savefiles but that is not as practical as how Sylvander
suggests.
For testing packages, use Fatdog sandbox instead. Described inside the FAQ.
Re the FatDog RC. Do you prefer we test that one without reusing
the old savfile for 2 then? And what is most important to test?
Don't worry about it until it is released. You can help testing beta2 now instead, so any bugs found can be fixed before RC is released, thanks.

kickstart

#57 Post by kickstart »

I have tried to install 600b2 and like DC have encountered booting problem, error 16: Inconsistent file system structure.
I have several different Puppy versions as frugal installations, each in a separate subdirectory on EXT4 partition SDA3. With the new installer not giving the option to frugal install straight to a newly created subdirectory like in the original Puppy Universal Installer, I installed directly to SDA3. I then created a new subdirectory and moved the newly installed 600 files into it along with the save file. I then manually edited the grub menu.lst file as I have done with all the other frugal installations. Here are the menu.lst entries for both Fatdogs I have installed, 521 boots, 600 does not.

# Linux bootable partition config begins
title Puppy Linux Fatdog 521
rootnoverify (hd0,2)
kernel /fatdog521/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd psubdir=fatdog521
initrd /fatdog521/initrd.gz
# Linux bootable partition config ends
# Linux bootable partition config begins
title Puppy Linux Fatdog 600b2
rootnoverify (hd0,2)
kernel /Fatdog600b2/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd psubdir=Fatdog600b2
initrd /Fatdog600b2/initrd
# Linux bootable partition config ends

Could this be due to the new type initrd file? The initrd.gz files in the other frugal installations display the compressed file "packed box" icon and will ask if you wish to decompress them if clicked on. The 600b initrd file displays a "binary code" icon and has no run action assigned if you click on it. Do I have to specify a run action to enable grub to boot up 600b?

nooby

#58 Post by nooby »

You have this one:

title Puppy Linux Fatdog 600b2
rootnoverify (hd0,2)
kernel /Fatdog600b2/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd psubdir=Fatdog600b2
initrd /Fatdog600b2/initrd

I have this one.
title fatdog FD2
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /FD2/initrd
kernel /FD2/vmlinuz psubdir=FD2 savefile=direct:device:sda2:/FD2/fd64save.ext3
initrd /FD2/initrd

Three differences

1. find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd //Fatdog600b2/initrd
2. pmedia=atahd maybe that one is not needed but maybe does no harm either

3. savefile=direct:device:sda3:/FD2/fd64save.ext3 Maybe you need such?

Kirk and JamesBond know these things better than what I do but
I would add another entry in line with my suggestion and see if that one boot?

rcrsn51

#59 Post by rcrsn51 »

@kickstart: Here are some things to try:

1. In your GRUB entry, comment out both the kernel and initrd lines by putting a # in front. Reboot. Do you get Error 16 or does it just return to the GRUB menu?

2. Un-comment the kernel line. Reboot. Do you get a kernel panic or the GRUB error?

3. Comment out the kernel line and un-comment the initrd line. What happens?

mini-jaguar

#60 Post by mini-jaguar »

This is really nice and slick: no missing icons from the menus like in alpha, a drive icon doesn't show onscreen for the swap partition like in previous versions, plus it boots into a nice screen with a Fatdog64 wallpaper.

But I am still having problems with the Audacity .pet and the Wine .sfs. They show up in the menus, but when I click on them they don't do anything and nothing shows up on the screen. Even the Wine Version thing doesn't do anything.