Fatdog64-600b2

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
rcrsn51

#61 Post by rcrsn51 »

@kickstart: I was able to duplicate the problem.

1. Using Quirky 1.3, I created an ext4 partition and installed legacy GRUB.

2. I did a frugal install of Fatdog600.

3. The boot failed on the initrd line with Error 16.

4. I switched the filesystem to ext3 and it worked.

So it appears that legacy GRUB can't load the new large initrd file out of ext4.

capicoso

#62 Post by capicoso »

mini-jaguar wrote:This is really nice and slick: no missing icons from the menus like in alpha, a drive icon doesn't show onscreen for the swap partition like in previous versions, plus it boots into a nice screen with a Fatdog64 wallpaper.

But I am still having problems with the Audacity .pet and the Wine .sfs. They show up in the menus, but when I click on them they don't do anything and nothing shows up on the screen. Even the Wine Version thing doesn't do anything.
Run them on terminal so we can see the output error

kickstart

#63 Post by kickstart »

Thanks Nooby & rcrsn51. I'll create a EXT3 partition, try another installation and report back. If it works, looks like I'll have to try a newer bootloader, probably easier than moving all my frugal installs on to an EXT3 partition.

rcrsn51

#64 Post by rcrsn51 »

@kickstart: As a test, I repeated the procedure using a Slacko 533 CD. I let it format the partition as ext4 and install its own legacy GRUB. I got the same Error 16.

So using Slacko, I installed Grub4dos. It could not detect the FD600 frugal install, so I had to manually edit the menu.lst. But it booted correctly out of ext4.

capicoso

#65 Post by capicoso »

Btw. I wanted to say that i love the packages you included on the repos! It's a small repo but full of amazing apps like audacity, fluidsynth, jack2(jack1 is very outdated), qjacktl, qsynth, qtractor, well all the audio programs! Ah i also tried the audio all in one sfs that was made for 521 i think and it worked fine, except for ardour, it was missing a dependency, i don't remember which one now but fixed it. I'm making myself a fatdog full of multimedia programs, and the sfs speedd up the things...

kickstart

#66 Post by kickstart »

@kickstart: Here are some things to try:

1. In your GRUB entry, comment out both the kernel and initrd lines by putting a # in front. Reboot. Do you get Error 16 or does it just return to the GRUB menu?
Returns to GRUB menu.
2. Un-comment the kernel line. Reboot. Do you get a kernel panic or the GRUB error?
Kernel panic.
3. Comment out the kernel line and un-comment the initrd line. What happens?
Error 19: Linux kernel must be loaded before initrd

@ Nooby
Tried your menu.lst entry with partition, subdirectory and filenames renamed to suit my installation. It completely messed up GRUB and I couldn't boot anything. Had to boot from live CD to restore menu.lst

nooby

#67 Post by nooby »

Ooops sorry. That surprise me much but am a noob.
So hopefully rcrsn51 can give you a workable suggestion.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

kickstart

#68 Post by kickstart »

So using Slacko, I installed Grub4dos. It could not detect the FD600 frugal install, so I had to manually edit the menu.lst. But it booted correctly out of ext4.
No problem Nooby. Grub4dos is the answer. I installed it from Racy 5.2.2 and as with rcrsn51's experiment it failed to detect FD600. Manually editing menu.lst got it booting fine from ext4.

Gobbi

#69 Post by Gobbi »

kirk , is it possible to have subtitles in VLC iin Fatdog 600 n the near future ?
I saw pemasu did something about it for Dpup Esprimo a few days ago . Maybe his solution could help a little ... ?

kirk

#70 Post by kirk »

Thanks Gobbi. I never actually tried anything with subtitles. It will be fixed for the next release.

shinobar

detecting fd600 by grub4dos

#71 Post by shinobar »

DC wrote:grub4dos did not pick up fd600 a2,b1 or b2. Found everything else.
Maybe not having a gz extension on the initrd? would cause this.
Right. The grub4dosconfig only version 1.8 and later detects the fd600.

But there is a trick for the older version of grub4dos.
Make a symbolic link 'initrd.gz' that points the 'initrd'. Then, run the grub4dosconfig.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

mini-jaguar

#72 Post by mini-jaguar »

You can simply rename initrd as initrd.gz. I have it like that, running a very slightly modified text for other Puppies (although I probably don't need to have the extension). In fact I even have both files (initrd.gz and vmlinuz) in a folder by themselves because I have other OSes on the partition.

jamesbond

#73 Post by jamesbond »

mini-jaguar wrote:But I am still having problems with the Audacity .pet and the Wine .sfs. They show up in the menus, but when I click on them they don't do anything and nothing shows up on the screen. Even the Wine Version thing doesn't do anything.
Mini-jaguar, thank you for your wallpaper. For audacity - it requires wxWidgets. Did you install it from the package manager? If yes, it would have prompted you to install wxWidgets too.
Wine.sfs requires 32-bit compatibility library, because it is a 32-bit app (in fact it comes from green_dome pet, converted to sfs).
rcrsn51 wrote:So it appears that legacy GRUB can't load the new large initrd file out of ext4.
Thank you for finding this one out. I was just about to say to do "fsck" on the boot drive, but I think your explanation is the correct one. I've done further googles and it seems that yes, "standard" legacy GRUB does not support ext4. Only legacy GRUB from Ubuntu supports ext4 (they patched it). Converted filesystems (ext3 -> ext4) will work for a while because existing files are still stored in ext3 format, but once they are stored in ext4 formats they are no longer bootable.
capicoso wrote:Btw. I wanted to say that i love the packages you included on the repos! It's a small repo but full of amazing apps like audacity, fluidsynth, jack2(jack1 is very outdated), qjacktl, qsynth, qtractor, well all the audio programs! Ah i also tried the audio all in one sfs that was made for 521 i think and it worked fine, except for ardour, it was missing a dependency, i don't remember which one now but fixed it. I'm making myself a fatdog full of multimedia programs, and the sfs speedd up the things...
Glad that you like it! If you use the old audio-all-in one, make sure you delete the /opt/qt4 and re-create the sfs. That sfs includes old version of qt4 which are not compatible with WpaGui etc.
kickstart wrote:With the new installer not giving the option to frugal install straight to a newly created subdirectory ...
Yes, out of sheer laziness :D and also the fact that most "expert" people will just open the iso and copy the files inside instead of using the installer.
The 600b initrd file displays a "binary code" icon and has no run action assigned if you click on it
It does if you click it from inside Fatdog 600. The icon is still a bit lacking though ... Need to draw proper icon for that and other savefile formats :roll:
Last edited by jamesbond on Sat 30 Jun 2012, 11:39, edited 1 time in total.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

01micko

#74 Post by 01micko »

jamesbond wrote:
The 600b initrd file displays a "binary code" icon and has no run action assigned if you click on it
It does if you click it from inside Fatdog 600. The icon is still a bit lacking though ... Need to draw proper icon for that and other savefile formats :roll:
You've seen the one I made in Slacko? Just layered the puppy icon over the binary icon.. lazy as it gets! (But effective :wink: )
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

nooby

#75 Post by nooby »

"So it appears that legacy GRUB can't load the new large initrd file out of ext4."

See that did lurk somewhere in the dark corner of my poor brain.
the Instant that I saw that FatDog had ext4 savefile then my body told me.
Something goes wrong with ext4 use ext3 instead. Now we know why
I reacted to that term ext4 :)
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

rcrsn51

#76 Post by rcrsn51 »

nooby wrote:the Instant that I saw that FatDog had ext4 savefile then my body told me. Something goes wrong with ext4 use ext3 instead. Now we know why
Just to be clear, we are NOT talking about the format of the savefile. This is the format of the Fatdog partition.

According to kickstart, FD521 booted OK out of ext4, so this is a new situation.

jamesbond

#77 Post by jamesbond »

nooby wrote:"So it appears that legacy GRUB can't load the new large initrd file out of ext4."

Ahaha yeah, related problem but not exactly the same. The problem is not about ext4 in savefile, but booting the system from ext4 partition (Fatdog doesn't offer any automated way to create ext4 partition - this must be done consciously when one uses gparted). Legacy grub has not been updated for a long time anyway; its replacement, grub2, supports ext4 and other more exotic filesystems (e.g. btrfs) which has no hope of ever being supported in legacy grub. That being said, grub2 has its own share of problems ... :D
01micko wrote:You've seen the one I made in Slacko? Just layered the puppy icon over the binary icon.. lazy as it gets! (But effective :wink: )
Right! We did that one with the samba share, should probably do that for these icons too ...
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Jim1911

#78 Post by Jim1911 »

nooby wrote:"So it appears that legacy GRUB can't load the new large initrd file out of ext4."

Grub4dos does support ext4 partitions. Get it here.

kirk

#79 Post by kirk »

Shinobar's Grub4dos config is in Fatdog64, look in the Control Panel under the Utilities tab.

Gobbi

#80 Post by Gobbi »

Today I wanted to boot a previous version which was put aside together with some other on a DVD as data so it wasn't bootable anymore .
To make it bootable again I realized how useful is ' ISOMASTER ' which I found it in Lighthouse 64 5.14 B2.
I think at least a pet if not inside a future release , could be a useful tool .
Installing fron fatdog 500 repo the FB Reader pet seemed OK , but it does not start.