Amarok won't work in Lucid?

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer audio hardware
gerryggg

Sound on USB boot of HP Pavillion - Solved!

#1 Post by gerryggg »

I have a 64GB flash drive that I have installed Puppy on to try to use with Amarok as a music player. After Installing Lucid and the Amarok SFS, I found I had no sound when booting it off my laptop. It worked fine off my Acer desktop and a Dell at work, but I couldn't get the sound to work on the laptop. I upgraded the Puppy installation to Slacko 5.3.3, but still no sound. I cured the wireless problem by installing r8192ce_pci-k2.6.33.2.pet. I was finally able to cure the sound problem by running the multiple sound card wizard to switch from the default HDMI card setting to the speaker. Unfortunately although it seemed to be configured right, no sound came out of the speaker. After scouring posts on here for days, I finally stumbled across the answer. In the ALSA mixer, <MM> means the sound is muted and you have to hit "M" to unmute it! While that might be old hat to many Puppy users, as one who primarily works in Kubuntu and has mainly used Puppy on older machines as a music player, it was a mystery. I can't find the actual post where I saw that, but, mysterious benefactor, whoever you are, many thanks. Thanks too, for all the help that all you long time "puppyphiles" dispense. Now, if I can just find a way to get Amarok to work with Slacko I'll be happy. The Lucid SFS file won't work. If I can't find an updated SFS I may have another crack at getting the sound to work with Lucid.

gerryggg

Re: Sound on USB boot of HP Pavillion - Solved!

#2 Post by gerryggg »

gerryggg wrote: If I can't find an updated SFS I may have another crack at getting the sound to work with Lucid.
Long and short - couldn't get Amarok to work in Slacko. Re-installed Lucid. Now have sound and so far seems to be working.

darkcity

#3 Post by darkcity »

where did you get the Lucid Amarok sfs from?

my guess is that it won't run is slacko due to missing some library.

it can be instructive to run a program from the terminal - as it will output any errors rather than just not running. 8)

gerryggg

#4 Post by gerryggg »

darkcity wrote:where did you get the Lucid Amarok sfs from?

it can be instructive to run a program from the terminal - as it will output any errors rather than just not running. 8)
I downloaded it from here quite some time ago as I have it running on an old Dell someone gave me that I use as a jukebox. I'll have to try setting up another flash drive with Slacko and see if I can get more info. I have a 16gb drive with nothing on it I can use.

gerryggg

#5 Post by gerryggg »

gerryggg wrote:
darkcity wrote:where did you get the Lucid Amarok sfs from?

I downloaded it from here quite some time ago as I have it running on an old Dell someone gave me that I use as a jukebox. I'll have to try setting up another flash drive with Slacko and see if I can get more info. I have a 16gb drive with nothing on it I can use.
So I installed Slacko on the 16gb flash drive, Installed SFSinstall.pet, installed and loaded the amarok SFS file, and, as you suggested, ran amarok in a terminal window. I got the following error message:

Amarok: [Loader] Starting amarokapp...
Amarok: [Loader] Don't run gdb, valgrind, etc. against this binary! Use amarokapp.
amarokapp: error while loading shared libraries: libpcreposix.so.3: cannot open shared object file: NO such file or directory

I found the missing library, but it seemed no matter where I put them it wouldn't work. Then I discovered that someone had made a pet of the missing library. I installed it and amarok loads and runs fine! I went back and it seems the links to the SFS file for Lucid are broken. If someone needs it I can upload it here. I now have amarok working fine on two flash drives, one with Slacko and one with Lucid and a full install on an old Dell running Lucid.
Attachments
libpcre3_7.6-2.1_i386.pet
install this to get Amarok 1.4 working in Slacko after installing the Lucid SFS file.
(90.7 KiB) Downloaded 562 times