Appet - pet2 and Android

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
Lobster
Official Crustacean

Appet - pet2 and Android

#1 Post by Lobster »

As we move to the ARM CPU as an option . . .
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PuppiPlan
. . . an opportunity to recompile and enhance pets may exist.
I have used the term 'appet' for a potential pet2
which we have discussed previously.
Do we have to be open to the idea of a vast store of potential ready
made free applications?
Not just debs or rpm. Bigger.
There are free Android applications. Yes I know this means . . . Java
(there I said it)
http://www.mashpedia.com/Android_%28operating_system%29

Ubuntu (leading bloatware) is changing rapidly and moving towards
wider consumer/user integration.

In two years we may be expecting a radically different operating environment on cheap mass market devices.

What is our current state of play?
Where are we heading?
Could/should/can Puppy built with woof2 or woof3
be Android compatible?

Puppy Linux.
Always Developing
Last edited by Lobster on Mon 02 Jul 2012, 01:05, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

linuxbear

Re: Appet - pet2 and Android

#2 Post by linuxbear »

Lobster wrote: What is our current state of play?
Where are we heading?
Could/should/can Puppy built with woof2 or woof3
be Android compatible?

Puppy Linux.
Always Developing
an interesting line of thought. If we are going to include some kind of Android comparability, then will it run on older CPUs? android/Java apps are a bit more resource hungry than Puppy apps. Right now, there are ways to change Java files into .apk which are android native files, but JAVA apps are not sped up by the conversion (?) The other issue is that google-play is the keeper of a lot of those apps and will not allow a DL unless it knows what device the app. is being sent to. In order to get those apps from google, an Android VM might be required which fools google imto thinking that it is an Android device on the google approved list.

aarf

#3 Post by aarf »

Last edited by aarf on Wed 29 Aug 2012, 07:53, edited 1 time in total.

linuxbear

#4 Post by linuxbear »

aarf wrote:have read of people who are having problems installing things from google-play, downloading apps to their pc and because they are using sync it fools android into installing the required apps next time they use their android.
There might, of course, be other workarounds. I understand that it used to be easy to DL from the "android market" but Google-play is more restrictive. Google Play has a very specific list of devices which they deem acceptable. My Creative is not on the list. I could probably change the file which Google is using to identify my device, but then I would be locked out of updates from the manufacturer. The only workaround in this case is to mislead google-play by making the repository think that I have a different device or to DL from google-play to a different device and grab the app. Fortunately, I have been able to find almost every app. I wanted on Amazon

aarf

#5 Post by aarf »

Last edited by aarf on Wed 29 Aug 2012, 07:54, edited 1 time in total.

scsijon

#6 Post by scsijon »

So, what do we need to start with to run this type of app under puppy?

A java shell at least to start with, I think.

Maybe we need a Android type Virtual Machine addin and use either Wine, Virtual Box, ????

Pet2Android and Android2pet packages?

or is there an easier way.

mikeslr

Android -- But How?

#7 Post by mikeslr »

It would be nice to be able make use of adroid apps. There are some which are generally useful. But there are thousands which have a very limited purpose.That seems to characterize the philosophy of android, and distinguish it from that of personal computers. Want to compare what SD cards are selling for at Bestbuy and OfficeDepot? On a Smartphone/Tablet you activate your BestBuy app and your OfficeDepot app. On a pc, you fire-up your browser. Of course, you could have done that on your android, but than what was the reason for the creation of the BestBuy and OfficeDepot apps, and why did you install them?
In part, the above may reflect android's origin in smartphones. Point & Click. Think of the difficulty of trying to use the equivalent of Gimp on a smartphone's touch-screen. Tablets, of course, overcome that limitation. So, are we thinking of a Puppy alternative to android on a Smartphone, or on a Tablet? And in either case, in what manner is Puppy going to provide a better environment to that of android, itself, or Cyanogenmod?
Regarding the limitation of older computers to handle android, my personal experience was to install it on an eeepc, specifically an Asus 701SD: certainly not a powerhouse. Although I could never get wifi to work, and the absence of a touch-screen limited its utility (and life-span(':lol:')) the 701SD was able to use those apps which came with the androidOS about as gingerly as those on Puppeee/Fluppee.
While porting/re-inventing Puppy to/for Arm may be something which stimulates the creative juices of Devs, as a mere computer users I would place a higher priority on either of the following: (a) Puppy Applications which would recognize my smartphone and enable me to transfer data between it and my computer, or (b) its alternative, an adroid file-manager app which would enable my smartphone to communicate with my pc while running Puppy.

Second priority would be an easy way to tether a smartphone to my computer running Puppy so that when needed the former could be used as a means of reaching the Web by the latter.

mikesLr

aarf

#8 Post by aarf »

Last edited by aarf on Wed 29 Aug 2012, 07:58, edited 2 times in total.

aarf

#9 Post by aarf »

Last edited by aarf on Wed 29 Aug 2012, 08:06, edited 1 time in total.

mikeslr

Puppies can already tether to smartphones?

#10 Post by mikeslr »

Thanks for the app. I'll try it when my new "used" Optimus-T arrives. My Cliq went nuts. I think its an electrical short. I can use it as a phone but typing anything generates uncalled for keystrokes. And thanks for the reference to applanet.net.

Sorry aarf, but I'm at that invaluable stage of testing/exploring: (a) knowledgeable enough to know what should be possible; (b) sufficiently ignorant not to be able to figure out how to do it if it isn't obvious or instructions can't be located by a simple google or well-minded search. Invaluable to devs attempting to comply with the Puppy objective of "user friendly," if I can't do/find it, it's certain that noobs can't either.

"Tether is in the connection wizard." Where? Or how? or perhaps a hint in the dialog which appears when the wizard is started. Additionally, a well-minded search about tethering indicated problems and limitations (a) some puppies, (b) some smartphones. [Hint: perhaps someone could write-up a "How to"].
Blue-tooth: also problems in some Puppies. Add that what I'd really like to do is tether via usb cable. One comes with every smartphone, or can be obtained for a couple of bucks. Doesn't require a working blue-tooth connection, or simultaneously running both blue-tooth and wifi/Edge/3/4g. And being able to remove the (micro)SD card from a smartphone and use it in a computer doesn't let you use your smartphone as a modem for your computer. Or, in other words, I'd like to be able to do running Puppy what I can easily do running (shutter (':roll:')) Windows.

mikesLr

aarf

#11 Post by aarf »

usb cable tether to the internet is so old and well know on the forum that i thought you must be after something complex. search gprs or huawei or 3g. or perhaps http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 35&t=53125
basically you need two things dial number which is usually *99# or *99***1#
and APN which can be many things eg. internet or some abreviation of you phone network name.
you can sometimes get the APN by looking at the connection settings in your phone.
take another search on the forum and post again if you still need help.
you dont even need an expensive phone any gprs/edge/ or 3G will do. but as i noted for me not sure about android phones although others have reported android as ok.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#12 Post by Lobster »

I recently had to access the pics on my Android phone.

1. Put the USB to micro USB directly into computer
I used an extension cable and this wasted a lot of time.

2. Mount the Android computer (aka phone) from the phone side

3. Comes up on Puppy desktop (Slacko 5.3.3.1 in my case) as a modem, which you can access

----

A very strange thought comes to mind:

At the moment some of us are committed (or maybe just should be committed) to using Puppy on ARM.

What if we had an Android potential reference device?
(Android port for Raspberry Pi being worked on)

Imagine being able to chroot into Android apps from your main Puppy Linux box.
It would be pawsome :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chroot
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

scsijon

#13 Post by scsijon »

Lobster wrote:
A very strange thought comes to mind:

At the moment some of us are committed (or maybe just should be committed) to using Puppy on ARM.

What if we had an Android potential reference device?
(Android port for Raspberry Pi being worked on)

Imagine being able to chroot into Android apps from your main Puppy Linux box.
It would be pawsome :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chroot
Something like I was thinking with the shell or Android V.M., a chroot(8) wrapper program.

and none of you are 'committed' in either way, take a device and run with it!
From a very wise old chinese gentleman came:- "The expansion of the paths in the mind, leads to explosion of understanding"

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#14 Post by Lobster »

I don't even quite know what they are doing but I want one. :oops:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1512

Seems to be Android phone + Rpi + HDMI TV
. . . probably room for a Puppy in there too . . . :)

I sincerely hope that the cheap and cheerful Raspberry Pi will become
our first reference hardware

In the future an emerging Android tablet or phone or even Project glass driven by Android will be our second.

Android compatibility can be an SFS or running on a second device or processor.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

mikeslr

Thanks aarf & Lobster

#15 Post by mikeslr »

Thanks aarf & Lobster:

My apologies if I hijacked the tread. I'm really a complete noob when it comes co-ordinating Puppy and a Smartphone. Although I acquired a smartphone about 6 months ago the reality is I've only attempted to use its capabilities for a couple of days because:
Before plunking down about $100 for a phone via ebay, I researched service costs. T-mobile had the best deal. I'm not sure it's still available. Buy a pre-paid card for $100. Good for a year, and remaining minutes will role over by purchase of additional card for $10+. Data available @ $1.45 per day, if and only if, 3g/4g turned on. With that in mind, I acquired a Motorola Cliq as it had wifi, Edge, 3g and gpsr. And discovered (a) what only Android 1.5 meant and --until about a month ago-- not upgradeable unless I wanted to root it and install Cyanogenmod, which I wasn't prepared to do; and (b) contained not only bloatware but non-removable nonsense called Motoblur. Motoblur facilitates social networking. But since it loads on startup and can't be turned off, it uses up a good chunk of the phone's CPU & memory. Non-upgradeable Android 1.5 locked me out of apps I actually thought might be useful. So for 5 months I had a plain cellphone with the ability to occasionally access my home wifi network.
After disappointing Cliq owners by publicly announcing it had no intent to provide an upgrade, T-Mobile made available an upgrade to Android 2.1. And after I installed that upgrade, my phone went nuts. Ergo, my purchase of an Optimus-T.
Perhaps the only important observation I've made is that someone with experience using smartphones with Puppy might/should write up an "How to Get the Most Out of your Smartphone" with appropriate links to relevant posts when that will suffice. In short, one place for noobs to get started rather than hijacking threads.

mikesLr

aarf

#16 Post by aarf »

Last edited by aarf on Wed 29 Aug 2012, 08:02, edited 1 time in total.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#17 Post by Lobster »

. . . "How to Get the Most Out of your Smartphone" with appropriate links to relevant posts when that will suffice. In short, one place for noobs to get started . . .
Here is somewhere to add your experience . . .
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Android

Linux fun = Puppy
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

scsijon

#18 Post by scsijon »

Apologies for hijacking the thread, but mikesir reminded me of something.... anyone who may not know.

Beware the 4g standard, it's different in different countries, the USA has one 4g standard, Australia/NZ another, UK another, Spain another, UAE another, HONG HONG another....

I don't know about the rest, but.....

Just because there is a standard, doesn't mean everyone's interpreting it the same way.

eztuxer

#19 Post by eztuxer »

http://applanet.net/

Ooooooooooooppppssss... :evil:
Attachments
FBI.jpg
(87.54 KiB) Downloaded 433 times
Don't poop it down... Pup it Up !