Is my Asus Eee 900 fan running? [Solved]

Using applications, configuring, problems
n0ukf

Is my Asus Eee 900 fan running? [Solved]

#1 Post by n0ukf »

Under the default Xandros install, I'd periodically (faintly) notice the fan on my Asus Eee 900 running. Since installing Lucid 528 I don't think I've ever heard the fan run.
Last edited by n0ukf on Fri 01 Feb 2013, 23:39, edited 1 time in total.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." [i]Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen[/i]

nooby

#2 Post by nooby »

Sad that nobody cared about your thread.
I ask for your sake one Developer that made
Puppeee for Eeepc what she thought about the fan.

Here is what she wrote to answer my query.
"Usually the fan control packages are to enable you
to force the fan off (I've been meaning to package this for saluki
but haven't yet).

The fan should be on be default. If not, and it's overheating,
there might be something wrong with the hardware."

So try to find ways to check if it is running.
You can install CPUtemp-1.5.pet for lupu. That way
you find out what temperature your CPU has.

Then you see that the temp goes up until it hit
say 52 Celsius and then goes down to 45 or something
and that indicate the fan is doing its job. You can blow the dust
away from the fan from under the air intake slits? And from the air out
slits? In case dust have made it stuck. Good luck.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 262#638262

Ooops try to get if you have Celeron or Atom CPU.
If you have Celeron then there is a puppeee that
can be downloaded use it to compare how the fan behave.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

rokytnji

#3 Post by rokytnji »

Guys, look into installing lm-sensors .pet and running

Code: Select all

sensors
in terminal after .pet install.

Then look into installing and running conky.

Conky thread
http://208.109.22.214/puppy/viewtopic.p ... c1440034d7

lm-sensors thread
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=74702

then configure your hidden .conkyrc file to show fan speeds like so

${hwmon fan 1}
or like I did with this lline

${color white}${exec sensors | grep 'RPM'}
My Macpup .conkyrc as a example in E17.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 435#470435

It takes a little bit of work. But is worth the effort. Plus you learn something new.

Hope that helps ya. 8)

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

Not only is Puppy cool.
It runs cool.
It runs in ram and uses minimal daemons (always running programs)
therefore it is more efficient than xandross.
Your fan to cool an overheated CPU is not required for minimal tasks.

Puppy Linux
Cool by design
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

jakfish

#5 Post by jakfish »

I have an Asus EEE 900, and run a beta jemimah kernel/early puppeee, very stripped-down, very cool-running.

Nonetheless, if your fan isn't coming on after surfing for 10 minutes or so, at graphic-intensive sites (not forums, but www.cnn.com, for example), then something's up.

Unless you've manually set your fan to come on at a higher temperature, your fan should come at about 53C, something easily monitored by a conky alone.

There's a CPU/Fan control app (and there's a thread that gives those commands to use in console) specifically for the eee (stock in puppeee); with that, you can easily check your fan's status and program it to start immediately (by choosing a very low minimum temperature).

Jake

n0ukf

#6 Post by n0ukf »

jakfish wrote:Unless you've manually set your fan to come on at a higher temperature, your fan should come at about 53C, something easily monitored by a conky alone.
Where would I set that? I have Geotray and that shows the CPU getting up to 63C frequently (standby for a while lets it cool down).
There's a CPU/Fan control app (and there's a thread that gives those commands to use in console) specifically for the eee (stock in puppeee); with that, you can easily check your fan's status and program it to start immediately (by choosing a very low minimum temperature).

Jake
Which thread is that? I'm looking for a fan control app to install on lupu 528, not a whole distro to install in its place.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." [i]Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen[/i]

jakfish

#7 Post by jakfish »

From what I'm gathering, your fan is somehow disabled and you've been burning at 63 degrees and you're just getting back to the thread now?

Wow. Well, I guess your machine is a sturdy one:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 41122//url

That's the app I use, but I run puppeee, so I don't know if it'll install on lucid.

Jake

n0ukf

#8 Post by n0ukf »

jakfish wrote:From what I'm gathering, your fan is somehow disabled and you've been burning at 63 degrees and you're just getting back to the thread now?

Wow. Well, I guess your machine is a sturdy one
Not that bad, I only occasionally use it, not all the time.

I got it installed and it appears to run from the System/System Status and Config menu but when I click on the fan% button nothing happens, it doesn't tell be what the fan on/off temps are or ask what I want to set them to. Clicking the other (CPU clock?) buttons don't appear to do anything noticeable either,
And yes, this is the Celeron, not the Atom CPU.

mdisaster2

#9 Post by mdisaster2 »

I am posting from my 701 running puppeee... the fan hasn't been running for some months, either because it's broken or because of something I did with the control panel (I did not disable the fan or change the tresholds though). However the eee seems to be working fine, if somewhat hot (cpu temp is stable at 66 ) 8) .

jakfish

#10 Post by jakfish »

Doesn't sound as if lucid plays nice w/ the eee cpu/fan control. You could double-check by installing it on a fresh puppy 4.31 install.

Jake

n0ukf

#11 Post by n0ukf »

I get the window up with the [^ 900MHz], [v 630MHz], [v 360MHz], [^ 630MHz] and [v Fan %] buttons but no indication that clicking any of them actually does anything or help to tell what any of them should do. I can only guess that the first 4 change the CPU clock speed (why both up and down buttons for 630?). Why is the fan button marked % instead of degrees (F or C) and why only down? I want to increase the fan.

And no, I don't want to reinstall another OS, I want this one working, and cooler.

Is there anything for Lucid 528 to let me control the fan (manual or automatic)?

n0ukf

#12 Post by n0ukf »

Just found this, hoping it'll help. http://www.tjansson.dk/?p=325
I don't care about the speed, I lust want it to run.

EDIT: It looks to me like Lucid doesn't have all the commands or modules he's using (or they're differently named/located). Any help here?

bwh1969

#13 Post by bwh1969 »

Try looking for

/sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/
or
/sys/devices/platform/eeepc/hwmon/hwmon0/

or search around in /sys/ for hwmon

If you find those places, you should have some files starting with "pwm1"

Do this from the terminal replacing the appropriate path if needed.

sh -c 'echo > 0 /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/pwm1_enable'
see if you have fan sounds or put the output near your face. None, then flip it to manual

sh -c 'echo > 1 /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/pwm1_enable'
then

sh -c 'echo > 110 /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/pwm1
The latter can be set up to 255 I think. Don;t try to start it much lower than 110, but once started, you could bring it down to say, 50. It might stop lower than that.

n0ukf

#14 Post by n0ukf »

I'm still hearing nothing, even when I add the (apparently) missing ' to the end of that last code line.

n0ukf

#15 Post by n0ukf »

bwh1969 wrote:

sh -c 'echo > 0 /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/pwm1_enable'
see if you have fan sounds or put the output near your face. None, then flip it to manual

sh -c 'echo > 1 /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/pwm1_enable'
then

sh -c 'echo > 110 /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/pwm1
The latter can be set up to 255 I think. Don;t try to start it much lower than 110, but once started, you could bring it down to say, 50. It might stop lower than that.
something must be controlling it, no matter what I put,

sh-4.1# cat /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/pwm1_enable
sh-4.1# cat /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/pwm1
pwm1_enable is always 2 whether I try to make it 0, 1 or whatever.

Is there any way to monitor pwm1 and pwm1_enable to see what process is setting their value?

n0ukf

Update, solved

#16 Post by n0ukf »

While installing a webcam from an Eee 900 in this Eee 900A, I found the fan was sticking. I had another I was going to use in a cooling base and changed it (though I got the original loosened). I now have a working fan.