HOWTO Change Saluki 'Loading' image

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
steve_s

HOWTO Change Saluki 'Loading' image

#1 Post by steve_s »

Bless Jemimah and Saluki, and of course Barry and Puppy.

This came up in the Saluki thread and it seems like it would be helpful to have a very brief how to on customizing this start up image.

Saluki is a rockin' version of Puppy, but a couple of people expressed the desire to change the 'Loading...' message that is displayed in the start up.

That message is simply an image, saved in /usr/share/pixmaps/loading.xbm.
Gimp opens this image just fine and you can certainly just modify this image and save it and your start up image would change.
(Thanks to Battleshooter for testing this out for us)!

The image is an indexed image (as opposed to RGB mode) and seems to be set as black and white 1 index (easily able to set that in Gimp via image, mode, then set it to indexed rather than RGB).

AND/OR

The file /root/.xinitrc in one of the early lines calls on that image (look for 'loading.xbm' in the file). By editing that line you can have this action call on a different image. I have only tested it with the same type of format image and it will only work in black and white (it seems).

You do all this at your own risk, of course. 8)

So, just a few minutes ago, I added this image to /usr/share/pixmaps and called it loading-salukiblack.xbm, indexed/set up the same way via gimp. I then modified the line in /root/.xinitrc to point to loading-salukiblack.xbm rather than the previous image and it worked like a charm. 8)

Further info about XFCE: you can also modify the splash image by running:

Code: Select all

xfce4-session-settings
then selecting Splash tab. 'None' is selected as default, but if you investigate 'Simple' and then 'Configure' of that one you can see that jemimah has already customized that splash image. Of course, customize and change as needed.

By using these tools you can have your startup image of Saluki look any way you want. 8)
Attachments
loading-salukiblack.png
So you get an idea of what my image looks like
(1.07 KiB) Downloaded 1938 times
loading-salukiblack.zip
Zipped form of the modified black and white image
(10.42 KiB) Downloaded 375 times

steve_s

#2 Post by steve_s »

And, if you happen to like that image, I went ahead and made a pet that puts the loading-salukiblack.xbm image in /usr/share/pixmaps for you.

You would still have to go in and modify /root/.xinitrc (just run

Code: Select all

geany /root/.xinitrc 
) to point to where you want it (instead of the file 'loading.xbm' you would point it to 'loading-salukiblack.xbm').

Of course, again, you modify .xinitrc at your own risk. I didn't touch anything besides that one line, myself.
Attachments
loading-salukiblack.pet
(7.86 KiB) Downloaded 423 times

battleshooter

#3 Post by battleshooter »

Nice job Steve. Like the new image too, looks pretty cool, and more options for customizing is always fantastic :)
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94580]LMMS 1.0.2[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94593]Ardour 3.5.389[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94629]Kdenlive 0.9.8[/url]

steve_s

#4 Post by steve_s »

battleshooter wrote:Nice job Steve. Like the new image too, looks pretty cool, and more options for customizing is always fantastic :)
Thanks! Yep, I couldn't agree more. 8)

steve_s

#5 Post by steve_s »

And just 'cause I can, I went ahead and did one that is really artsy.

Let me tell you, on my Presario laptop it looks really good! 8)
Attachments
loading-artsy.zip
Zip file of loading-artsy.xbm. As stated above, save loading-artsy.xbm to /usr/share/pixmaps, then edit the line in /root/.xinitrc that has 'loading.xbm' and change it to 'loading-artsy.xbm'
(159.55 KiB) Downloaded 407 times

done77

#6 Post by done77 »

Thank you very much steve !!

steve_s

#7 Post by steve_s »

done77 wrote:Thank you very much steve !!
You're welcome. Appreciate the 'thank you.' 8)