Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 30 Jul 2014, 13:27
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Desktop
treewm
Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]  
`f00

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jul 2012, 22:44    Post subject:  treewm
Subject description: (a different gui for managing windows and desktops)

Not real fancy, but quite interesting - treewm may be a good choice for smaller screens. Lots of options and seems stable , only bad was when I closed the root desktopº accidentally Laughing typing in the dark to get back (prompts are for sissies Wink

Some errors at compile/make (xprop and xkill went south) but it dumped the binary in src and after a bit of use seems fairly functional. Start it up with wbar or similar so you're not at a loss. Full size first screenie @217k, later wide screenie @131k, an extra note there: using a roxpin 'locks' the viewport down so there's no panning. Very likely some may be able to do better, but here's my archive fwiw as a taste (done on p431).

º a short story there - afterwards I had some issue with xfe fm (it opened but didn't 'show' in other wms.. a puzzle! Some time later (after a trace with htop among other things which clued me back to treewm - aha it might be a good idea to "Release Windows" and whahalla, that lil' bit solved Very Happy but not a long-term solution for me).

(from running xpad) Due to some initial 'thrashing', my favorite file manager(s) xfe don't show in other wms - they show on htop as loaded but not visible (what can you do with an 'invisible' fm in a gui .. unless you have most excellent recall of key cmds). Oddly enough, xfw/v works fine so it's just irritating (but getting reaquainted with rox is ok maybe).

Funny, that 'forces' me to use treewm when I do moderate to heavy fm tasks - perhaps I'll be getting really familiar with treewm Wink screenie of the culprit's props @41k

FYI - some accidental input may throw you into a blackscreen (Lost In Space "DANGER, Will Robinson!") but it may be possible to save ~or~ change to another wm Laughing .. recently my p431 (and wary514) got back to a 'normal' visible Prompt, so that's a relief for my sissyside Wink

overview and readme

Feel free to give examples of your ~/.treewm file (as an attachment works if you spoof the extension or just archive it). It likes full paths for the native button icons (if that's not in my sample), /usr/share/treewm/pixmaps is a handy dir for those (and any syms like a default generic if you want an icon for apps that don't show one when minimized). Comments and so on welcome as well .. btw, yeahlaunch works nicely for a lite launcher 'til you get stuff sorted natively Smile

___addenda 120901___
Finally got treewm going in racy 5.3 screencap-link @239k
.. a somewhat related forum-link about charsets and UTF-8 un/ticking
dot-treewm.tar.gz
Description  here's my current work-in-progress, fwiw..
gz

Download 
Filename  dot-treewm.tar.gz 
Filesize  2.54 KB 
Downloaded  143 Time(s) 
treewm-0.4.5a.tar.gz
Description  package deal
gz

Download 
Filename  treewm-0.4.5a.tar.gz 
Filesize  78.81 KB 
Downloaded  161 Time(s)