Using Puppy as primary OS

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
2byte

#21 Post by 2byte »

I use Puppy 99.999% of the time at work. 100% at home. All day, every day.

The ONLY time I use Windows 2k Pro is for PLC programming which uses proprietary Windows only software. Even then, it's within a vmware virtual machine in Puppy 412 :)

Most of my time at work and home I use Lucid Puppy 5.11.

rmcellig

#22 Post by rmcellig »

Seeing that I am spending a lot of time lately booted from my Puppy DVD, I was wondering if anyone has installed and used Dropbox while booted in from the Puppy DVD.

I am a heavy user of Dropbox and was wondering if it is possible for me to still use it even though I started up from the Puppy DVD.

TheAsterisk!

#23 Post by TheAsterisk! »

I've used Puppy as my primary OS since the 421 release (412 was the first I tried, but it stayed only in limited use). I've used 421, 430, 431, 511, 525, 528 and 531 as my primary OS so far, and I usually try to migrate all of my computers to new versions (if/when I upgrade) all within a day or two of each other. A common base system across all my hardware makes maintaining my installed applications and tweaking my system(s) a bit easier.

Right now I'm still running Slacko 531 on two towers and a laptop, and also have 531 installed to a USB flash drive and a USB hard drive. (I've tried migrating to 533, but have managed to botch it twice now. Might try again soon.)

Puppy is perfectly capable as a primary personal OS provided you aren't afraid of spending some time on the setup. The speed and control afforded by the system once appropriately tweaked is worth it, in my opinion, and the tiny footprint on the hard drive leaves more room for my pack rat file-saving habits.

rmcellig

#24 Post by rmcellig »

When you talk about tweaking, are you talking about cosmetic tweaking like the right background etc..., or it it more the fundementals of the OS?

jsl06

My use of puppy linux

#25 Post by jsl06 »

I am using slacko-5.3.1 on usb. The other system is windows 7 with ntfs. I have a slow connection to the internet, thus, I mostly access the internet with lynx. I think I would use lynx anyway to avoid the billboards. I use seamonkey for this discussion group and e-mail. I use cli and puppy linx about 99% of the time.
James

ndujoe1

Using Puppy as Primary OS

#26 Post by ndujoe1 »

I use Puppy Linux Lupu 5.25 as the only OS on my machine. I do have a laptop that has Windows XP on it for those time when I am usually helping others with their computer

dk60902

#27 Post by dk60902 »

rmcellig wrote:Seeing that I am spending a lot of time lately booted from my Puppy DVD, I was wondering if anyone has installed and used Dropbox while booted in from the Puppy DVD.

I am a heavy user of Dropbox and was wondering if it is possible for me to still use it even though I started up from the Puppy DVD.
Icyos has a custom Slacko 5.3.2.4 with Dropbox already installed. This may be it:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzHvBhl ... RTUQ/edit#

linuxbear

#28 Post by linuxbear »

Puppy 5.2.8 @ work and Win 7 @ work on different machines.
Puppy 5.2.8 on keychain pendrive. XP and Bodhi 1.4 on the desktop @ home
XP and Bodhi 1.4 on an older lappie which is destined to become my new file server. Vista and Bodhi 1.4 on the newer, faster (oldish) laptop

linuxbear

#29 Post by linuxbear »

dk60902 wrote:
rmcellig wrote:Seeing that I am spending a lot of time lately booted from my Puppy DVD, I was wondering if anyone has installed and used Dropbox while booted in from the Puppy DVD.

Icyos has a custom Slacko 5.3.2.4 with Dropbox already installed. This may be it:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzHvBhl ... RTUQ/edit#
Has anyone tried to install apps on a Puppy distro which is living on a read-write DVD? I'm guessing that would work (?)

...If that does not work, you can still login to dropbox from a web page and get your files

TheAsterisk!

#30 Post by TheAsterisk! »

rmcellig wrote:When you talk about tweaking, are you talking about cosmetic tweaking like the right background etc..., or it it more the fundementals of the OS?
Neither, really. :D Maybe somewhere in between...

I tend to make and install a lot of my own packages, and I tend to botch things a few times before I get it right. The whole idea with keeping my installations the same is that once I've gotten things steady then I can more reliably avoid programs or dependencies interfereing with one another, or causing instability. There is also a 'settings & preferences' and a cosmetic component to it, but that's secondary.

Put more simply, once I have one copy up and running smoothly, I basically just copy the save file and SFS files over to the second system, so that I don't have to do it over again. Updates for applications are the same thing: do them all at once, all the same way. (If I don't, it tends to make future updates more unpredictable, less uniform.) The only differences in packages installed between them come down to drivers.

tuxtoo

#31 Post by tuxtoo »

Wary-512 on P4, 2.5ghz. 1.25gb ram, 80gb HD and dual boot with XP on a 1.6ghz, 1gb ram, 160gb netbook, although I very rearly use XP on the netbook. Just prefer Puppy

Been using Puppy for about four years as my main OS. Puppy just does everything I need faster and with less fuss than Windows. So unless there is a Windows program that you must have, and even then there is Wine to run Windows programs and that is improving all the time.

While Windows needs to be all things to all people, from the corporate to individuals. Puppy, I believe, is aimed at individuals and to me Puppy beats Windows hands down as my primary OS.

Just my two pennies' worth.

Eldon

#32 Post by Eldon »

I'm in Texas, and my air conditioning isn't the best.

All sumer I've was using Slacko 5.3.1 most of the time so I could unplug my hard drive and reduce the wear on it and keep the PC and my house cooler when it's 105 degrees.

I loved it.

Today I had a problem, and my flash drive I had it on wouldn't boot, so I decided to try and install 5.3.3 and see how it goes.

Now I can't get my bt keyboard to work so I may switch back to 5.3.1.

But for surfing and many tasks, I like slacko more than windows for sure. Still have windows on my HD, but I don't use it nearly as much as I used to.

dk60902

#33 Post by dk60902 »

I know that I may take some flak for giving props to M$, but recently, I scored a great deal with a used desktop with a dual core processor and 8 GB of RAM. Win Vista SP2 is on the computer. I tuned it up and it's running great on Vista. The one thing that I like is that there are 2 video outputs, and I love running dual monitors. That may be possible with Puppy, but I don't know how to do it. Ubuntu or Linux Mint may have dual monitor support, and I'll test it out one of these days. Also, with 8 GB of RAM, there's lots of headroom, and although Vista is resource hungry, it runs well on this machine. Despite the negativity with Vista, I find it be a good OS. Personally, I think it's beautiful. The other thing that I like is that wireless printer setup is a breeze, it found my scanner automatically (xsane scanner on Puppy doesn't recognize my scanner, although I know that a driver may get it running). Getting the wireless USB adapter on my Windows box was also very easy. File sharing between this computer and my Win 7 laptop was fairly straightforward, as was remote desktop.

I did configure Slacko 5.3.3 PAE with Compiz and Saluki 22 with Compiz to run on my machine. I have it running off of a USB stick. I still enjoy Puppy very much.

Lately, I've been using my Win Vista box more that I have Puppy because of the dual monitor setup on Vista.

I sold a couple other desktops (test boxes) in the last month that had Puppy installed on the HD. I used Puppy as my #1 OS on these machines and WinXP very rarely (when I needed to scan a document).
Last edited by dk60902 on Wed 05 Sep 2012, 04:43, edited 1 time in total.
HP Pavilion Mini Pentium 1.7 GHz Dual Core 12 GB RAM 120 GB SSD Linux Lite 3.8 64-bit w/ Kensington Slimblade Trackball
Bionic8.0 Xenial64 Tahr64 USB frugal install
Samsung Chromebook Plus
LG V20 LG Xpression Plus Huawei Ascend XT2

ally

#34 Post by ally »

I've been using puppy for about 18 months as my only os

I've tried many flavours but find slacko (5.3.3) best for me, works well with my default lenovo t61

also have 2 t21's an amd dual core desktop running slacko, one t21 as a thin client attached to the hifiwith wake-on-lan and vnc for control, the second t21 is used for testing new distro's

I have recently discovered the eeepc and have 2, one running xp (a stripped down version) which is destined for my parents and the other running jemimah's wonderful puppeee1.0

all machines can be vnc'd using x11vnc and tight vnc and the hard wired machines brought up using the wol

the only problem I have had is with the high mem version of slacko which doesn't appear to run very well for me for some reason

for all out there who haven't donoted to barry et al please think about doing so

puppy linux really is the dogs b@ll@cks!

:)

EDIT: also have puppy running on raspberry pi

EDIT: eeepc windows removed in favour of puppeee1.0 on folks machine
Last edited by ally on Fri 07 Dec 2012, 14:37, edited 3 times in total.

starhawk

#35 Post by starhawk »

TinyXP...? Might not want to be broadcasting your use of that... ;)

See here. Last paragraph is especially important.

rmcellig

#36 Post by rmcellig »

I am now booted from my Puppy 5.2.8 CD. I had been working in Ubuntu 12.04 on my HD and was unable to do what I wanted which was copy some code from my web site by viewing the Page source in Firefox. When I booted from the Pup CD, it was a snap. Two seconds done. This is what I love about Puppy but two things are holding me back.

I'm sure that I can resolve them probably because I am not aware or still green when it comes to Puppy. When I do a Frugal install and create the Savefile, over a short period of time I get notices that my Savefile is full and that I should expand it or delete items from the root directory. When I increased my save file to just over 4GB, same thing happened even though when I did a properties on the root folder, the size was only about 160MB. Even doing a Gdmap of the root directory the same results. Not that much stuff in the root directory. What should I do? If the save file is 4GB and I only have about 160MB of stuff in the Root directory, what about the extra 3GB + that I should still have free?

The other issue is always looking for the latest releases of software I use. I do searches in the Pets forum on this site and for the most part can never find what I am looking for. Do I have to refine my search? Are there other places I can get pets from?

For example, I am looking for the latest versions of Audacity and Clementine. Where can I get them from?

As soon as I can resolve these two issues, I have no reason at all to use any other distro, unless!!

Unless there are other Puppy distros that I may be suited for? Please someone, set me straight. I love puppy way to much for it to end this soon in our OS relationship :)

Bottom line is that I love the way I get things done quickly in Puppy compared to standard distros.

Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated!!

Smithy

#37 Post by Smithy »

Hi rmcellig,
I agree Puppy is a great little OS :wink:

Darkcity has done an Audacity 2.01 pet:

http://208.109.22.214/puppy/viewtopic.p ... 3003607f00

and Playdayz has done Clementine:

http://208.109.22.214/puppy/viewtopic.p ... 3003607f00
Last edited by Smithy on Sat 03 Dec 2016, 09:02, edited 1 time in total.

rmcellig

#38 Post by rmcellig »

Thanks Smitty!

But I was wondering how can I find these pets without having to post a request to the forum or is this how it is done or is there a central location where I can find it?

Thanks again!!

russoodle

#39 Post by russoodle »

Hello rmcellig...

With my frugal installs, i usually have around a 1gb save-file, but i no longer leave .pets and other downloads in my root directory to clutter it up. I place those things, and other miscellaneous files related to that frugal in mnt/home, so that they are saved outside the save-file but are just as easily accessible :wink:

As you are so heavily involved in music, perhaps Puppy Studio would suit you, as it was developed by 10wt3ch for the purpose. It includes apps such as Rosegarden, Audacity, Jack and others i know nothing about and is low-latency (or 'real-time', as the 'rt' in the filename denotes).....it's about a 378mb d/l:
http://www.puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet. ... 3.3-rt.iso
If you're asked for username/pass, they are the usual puppy and linux respectively.

Hope there's a solution in there somewhere for you :)
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

rmcellig

#40 Post by rmcellig »

Thanks for the puppy studio idea!

Regarding my frugal install save file. I make sure that my downloads folder is always empty but I still have issues with the savefile bar always being either red or orange. I even tried moving some invisible folders in root to my home folder and then doing a relative symlink back to root.

What I don't understand is this. Say my savefile is 1GB. When I do a properties on the root directory it says that the space used is around 160mb. So, where is the rest of the space that makes up the difference to equal 1GB. This is what I don't get.

So now I have a new question. How do you as a puppy user keep your save files healthy? I'd love to hear back from other users. Thanks!!