About globicons... [SOLVED]

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.
Argolance

About globicons... [SOLVED]

#1 Post by Argolance »

Hello,
Don't know if it is the right place to ask this question...
When and by what is the file "globicons" created/updated? I red somewhere that this file comes here or there, following the puppy version and age...
Sometime inside /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/globicons or inside /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/globicons, sometimes both of these directories. :shock:

Please, could somebody give me some explanation?

Thank you a lot.
Cordialement.
Last edited by Argolance on Fri 06 Jul 2012, 09:53, edited 1 time in total.

amigo

#2 Post by amigo »

It gets created the first time you change the icon displayed for any file or folder. The latter file location you mention, '/root/Choices/ROX-Filer/globicons' is for older versions of the ROX-Filer. /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/globicons is for newer versions of rox.

Argolance

#3 Post by Argolance »

Hello amigo,
Thank you for replying!
It gets created the first time you change the icon displayed for any file or folder.
What kind of file or folder? For example, I drag and drop a file or a directory from any rox window to the desktop, then I define the icon... I don't see any changes inside /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/globicons? Puppypin has naturally changed but not globicons. Sorry for my simple-minded question... :oops:

Cordialement.

RSH

#4 Post by RSH »

Hi.

Here is a script, i do use in LazY Puppy to set an icon automatically to a created LazY Puppy run-script (the scripts that runs applications from sfs and loads the sfs automatically)

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
# LazY Puppy Run-Scripts Icon Setter
# set icon to a run-script # --> thanks to stu90
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FILE=$1
ICON=$2

head -n -1 /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/globicons > /tmp/globicons

cat >> /tmp/globicons << EOF
  <rule match="$FILE">
    <icon>$ICON</icon>
  </rule>
</special-files>
EOF

rm -f /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/globicons
cp -f /tmp/globicons /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/globicons

# End
I have also refined the LazY Puppy remaster script to have the exactly same content in both "globicons" files.

RSH
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]

Keef

#5 Post by Keef »

I've found Amigo's explanation to be correct. Changing an icon is producing a change in globicons. This is on Wary 5.3.
Can I ask how you are checking for changes?
I opened up globicons in Geany. I added an icon to a binary I dumped on the desktop, then did a search for it (in Geany), and checked the name of the icon.

amigo

#6 Post by amigo »

globicons data is for filer windows -desktop icons are in the pinboard conf file.

Argolance

#7 Post by Argolance »

Hello,
Thank you for replying.

Now I understand. If I change or set the icon of any /usr/bin/defaultprogram (for example), modification is saved to globicons.

What embarrassed me is that latest Wary/Racy5 don't have globicons file inside /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/ according to the newest rox releases, but inside /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/globicons.

Thank you RSH for the script which can be useful!
Fortunately, it seems that when rox doesn't find globicons inside .config it tries to search it inside Choices. The contrary is not true though! Here was a lack of understanding for me.
Can I ask how you are checking for changes?
Edit globicons with geany: When changed, geany asks for reloading the file or, looking inside the directory containing the file, its name is in bold characters...

=> Found this, which could be useful to learn more about globicons file(s)

Thank you to all of you!
Cordialement.