ATI Driver with FGLRX 2D 3D and Tuner Nodes Exposed

Requests go here. If you fill a request, give it a new thread in the appropriate category and then link to it in the request thread.

Smithy

#2 Post by Smithy »

davids45

#3 Post by davids45 »

G'day,
I have used something like these with Frugal Pups based on Ubuntu/Debian packages (that is, with all Exprimos and Lucid Pups).

The problem is, for my computer, the default ati-radeon driver would stop working (=black screen) on shut-down before I could create a Save file.
By installing a proprietary driver pet (I use mostly ati_fglrx-11.8-k2.6.39.3.lupu28.pet), then doing the "aticonfig --initial" step and then re-starting X, I was able to see the create a Save file message on shutting down.

Strangely, the kernel version of the driver doesn't seem to matter - with affected Exprimo Pups having kernels like 3.4.2 and 3.2.14, I still achieve the desired shut-down behaviour once the older kernel driver is installed.

Where I recall having had a problem, it has been using a Slackware-based driver in a Debian-based Pup. Slackos have good default radeon drivers on this computer so I haven't had to install a special driver for slackware-based Frugals.

So I have used the proprietary driver to fix a small problem. If you are wanting to more intensive graphics, you could find problems.

I'd suggest you try a driver compatible with the Pup you want to use, and see how it goes.

David S.

Smithy

#4 Post by Smithy »

G'day David, thanks for replying.

I did run through all those pets, and after doing the aticonfig -- initial thing and making a savefile, I got "adaptor not found" type of thing.

Now it is an ancient all in wonder 128mb ram agp unit, but it still goes very well in Windows, and the video portion of Patriot's Xorg high is excellent too in Puppy, no problems there.

It does seem to be a major headache getting video drivers to work full speed in Linux, and my thinking is that hardware is what holds it back from being mainstream. same with my Amilo netbook, Audio is fine, but Intel GM950 is a bit on the slow side.

Don't know if Tempestuous still frequents the forum, but I know he did something with these video input/ capture files so they would work in 4.3.1
http://rulerofearth.com/