SuperDog 5.3.3.2.18 & SuperDogARM 5.3.3.0.8 Alpha 1

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
bark_bark_bark

SuperDog 5.3.3.2.18 & SuperDogARM 5.3.3.0.8 Alpha 1

#1 Post by bark_bark_bark »

SuperDog is a puplet that is compatible with Ubuntu 12.04 packages.

Want to develop a component or contribute to the project? PM me.

will be built with woof2 as of August 3, 2012

NEW: SuperDogARM started, again. - August 3, 2012

NEW: In Beta 2 you will start seeing Video/Printer Drivers, so stay tuned. I already have HP Printer Drivers, nVidea Latest Driver Set, AMD Latest Drivers, & ATI Legacy Drivers. Will compile by Beta 2/3 - August 3, 2012

NEW: Devx SFS will come soon - August 3, 2012

NEW: SuperDog News/Updates Page - August 2, 2012

Download Alpha 1 - no link until August 7, 2012 or later
Download Alpha 1 (Windows Installer) - no link until August 8, 2012 or later

Download Devx SFS - no link till Beta 1.
Last edited by bark_bark_bark on Thu 09 Aug 2012, 20:29, edited 19 times in total.

gcmartin

#2 Post by gcmartin »

Will this be 32bit or 64bit or a combined ISO (similar to what Knoppix does with a boot-time selection)?

Here to help

Edited - 2012-07-16: I just noticed that you may only have 32bit PCs in your kennel.

bark_bark_bark

#3 Post by bark_bark_bark »

You have to wait till August 5th, as I am still on vacation and my 2nd Desktop is at home, so I will put puppy on that pc, and develop SuperDog.

Gnuxo

#4 Post by Gnuxo »

When will this doggy be available for testing?

bark_bark_bark

#5 Post by bark_bark_bark »

bark_bark_bark wrote:You have to wait till August 5th, as I am still on vacation and my 2nd Desktop is at home, so I will put puppy on that pc, and develop SuperDog.
My laptop has no Internet Card.

Gnuxo

#6 Post by Gnuxo »

:(

You should try to get a wireless usb adaptor of some sort.

Karl Godt

#7 Post by Karl Godt »

I would like to add the link to the Puppy Precise Pangolin Base :

Precise Puppy beta2, June 6, 2012 | Based on Ubuntu Precise Pangolin debs

in the Cutting Edge section .

I am still mainly on Puppy 4.3 series . Good Luck !

bark_bark_bark

#8 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Gnuxo wrote:

You should try to get a wireless usb adaptor of some sort.
I will try, but I don't carry much cash these days. I can't seem to find any on TigerDirect. Good thing my laptop HAS USB (but it's 1.1) considering how old it is.

Gnuxo

#9 Post by Gnuxo »

Oh that's not good. I can relate.

Hopefully you can find even an older model adapter to use.

bark_bark_bark

#10 Post by bark_bark_bark »

I found a wifi adapter. It's a "TP-Link TL-WN821N 300Mbps Wireless N USB Adapter". Which puppies will support it?

EDIT: How do I compile the linux kernel version 3.4.7 as a .pet for woof2?

EDIT2: I found a ARM based android mediaplayer (which can double as a pc).

EDIT3: The Android mediaplayer has wifi, 1x hdmi, 1x usb 2, 512MB ram, 4gb internal storage. I can use a USB Flash Drive that has upto 32GB of storage.

bark_bark_bark

#11 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Development will be partially started today (just setting up everything until the pkg downloading.)

bark_bark_bark

#12 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Obviously people aren't interested in this project so should I:

Stop making this

-OR-

Continue for a pointless reason

I WILL Get it done, if people are interested.

EDIT: I know this is triple-post. And please delete the post 1 up from this one.

Gnuxo

#13 Post by Gnuxo »

Why aren't people interested? It seems like a worthy endeavor.

Eldon

#14 Post by Eldon »

bark_bark_bark wrote:I found a wifi adapter. It's a "TP-Link TL-WN821N 300Mbps Wireless N USB Adapter". Which puppies will support it?

EDIT3: The Android mediaplayer has wifi, 1x hdmi, 1x usb 2, 512MB ram, 4gb internal storage. I can use a USB Flash Drive that has upto 32GB of storage.
I'm using a netgear usb adapter I got on ebay for like $10-15. Need to use the windows driver for it, but it works in puppy just fine.

I also have a N800, that has wifi, usb, 256MB of ram, and two sd card slots, with a 16GB and and an 8GB currently in it. Has touch screen, and a 1.3MP camera. Really handy if you take the time to update/customize it.

Only has a 400mhz processor and 128mb swap file, but for $50 on ebay, it's not bad!

raffy

interested

#15 Post by raffy »

People will be interested if they can test something. I myself am interested in the ARM version that you've announced.

While some people have made announcements before prior to release of their puplet, you are the only one complaining before actually releasing something.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

bark_bark_bark

#16 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Eldon wrote:
bark_bark_bark wrote:I found a wifi adapter. It's a "TP-Link TL-WN821N 300Mbps Wireless N USB Adapter". Which puppies will support it?

I'm using a netgear usb adapter I got on ebay for like $10-15. Need to use the windows driver for it, but it works in puppy just fine.

I also have a N800, that has wifi, usb, 256MB of ram, and two sd card slots, with a 16GB and and an 8GB currently in it. Has touch screen, and a 1.3MP camera. Really handy if you take the time to update/customize it.

Only has a 400mhz processor and 128mb swap file, but for $50 on ebay, it's not bad!
Cool.
raffy wrote:People will be interested if they can test something. I myself am interested in the ARM version that you've announced.

While some people have made announcements before prior to release of their puplet, you are the only one complaining before actually releasing something.
Okay I will do the ARM, if I had a device to test it on OR if someone could test it for me. My main focus is get back home and FINISH what I started.

jamesbond

#17 Post by jamesbond »

bark_bark_bark wrote:EDIT: How do I compile the linux kernel version 3.4.7 as a .pet for woof2?
I see that you have a great ambition. That's great, it's the internal drive to do something that one needs to be successful. That being said, I have a few words of advice: take baby steps, learn to walk before you run (or jump).

1. Understand the internal workings of the base Puppy. It was difficult to do this before, today this is much easier because what makes a puppy "puppy" and different from all other distros in the world is contained in woof.
2. Note that you can create a puplet by just doing a remaster. In fact, many early puplet were remastered Puppies with some software added/removed.
3. With 1 & 2, you can experiment and make incremental changes to the standard puppy and see how your remaster fare compares to the original.
4. Learn how to create a pet for a standard application first before trying to create a kernel pet.

If you already know all of the above, then just ignore what I said above, and good luck to your new puplet.

If you intend to use this a your test / development platform, make sure you know how to un-brick it (ie, install original software / firmware in case a bug in your software kills it). Some devices can only be un-bricked with JTAG, some needs some "magic" software from the vendor, some needs a copy of the original firmware, etc. Otherwise with one single mistake (not too rare when one is experimenting) will be the end of the device. Some devices are "unbrickable" (e.g. Raspi, Mele, UHost, Cubox, etc) so go for them if possible.

cheers!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

bark_bark_bark

#18 Post by bark_bark_bark »

I've compiled many unreleased pets, but I want to make a kernel pet.

musher0

#19 Post by musher0 »

Sorry to be such a lampshade, but your project is similar to offering a new hot dog or a new bike. There are already many good and very good products (Puppies, in this case) available out there.

Also you provided no screen captures -- people love pictures more than words; it may be unfortunate, but it's a fact.

Best of luck.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

bark_bark_bark

#20 Post by bark_bark_bark »

I will not get this done. I got caught up with tons of things I really had to do, and DID NOT expect all these stupid delays. I would really hate to abandon this. But I have been trying to find a way to sell my old computer parts I don't need anymore, Looking for replacement parts on ebay, I had Drs. appointments, and much more. I am obviously not going to be able to finish it anytime soon. I am sorry to disappoint anybody with this bad news.