Dooble 1.31 *Download Please*

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Gnuxo

Dooble 1.31 *Download Please*

#1 Post by Gnuxo »

This is Dooble!

Homepage: dooble.sourceforge.net

This is only the second pet I've made so if you run into any problems, let me know.

I'm using Dooble right now to post this so it works and works nice.

You'll need the qt4.8.0 libraries to run this.

Download from here:
http://db.tt/tIjnEiHM

greengeek

#2 Post by greengeek »

Hi gnuxo, is there an easy way for me to see if I have the correct QT libs? And what do I do if they are not shown in the PPM for this distro (FatSlacko). How else would I be best to get them? Thx.

greengeek

#3 Post by greengeek »

Well, I'm guessing I must have the correct libs 'cos I'm posting from Dooble now (nice and quick to start up...)

Problems so far:
- it doesn't seem to remember any bookmarks
- Flash doesnt work (youtube not happy)
- I had one instance of the browser shutting down when I highlighted the text in the url bar and tried to overwrite it.

Will follow development with interest.

disciple

#4 Post by disciple »

> Dooble 1.31 *Download Please*

Oh - I thought you meant you wanted someone to package it for you, not that you wanted people to download the package you made...
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Gnuxo

#5 Post by Gnuxo »

I'm still green myself so I can't answer alot of these questions. I was excited to make a .pet.

I hope you guys don't think I am a dev of Dooble or anything.

Greengeek your words confused me.

I just took the sourcecode and copiled.

Pemasu took my .pet and stripped it down and said he got youtube working so he must know how to do it.

He's been scolding me for being too conservative with my butchering of programs.

The modified .pet was put into the Dpup Exprimo repos.

http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/pet_pack ... e-1.31.pet

nooby

#6 Post by nooby »

You suggest "The QT web browser with a focus on security"
Why should I have to go to the site you link to for to read
in what way it makes it more secure than the FF13 I use now?

Can you not make a quote of the thinking about it that makes it
more secure? I am active here and not on dooble.sourceforge.net

The way the Admin on sourceforge.net acted when TinyCore
got attacked make me wary of that site.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

greengeek

#7 Post by greengeek »

Hi Gnuxo,
does your dooble remember your new bookmarks after you shut down and reboot?

Gnuxo

#8 Post by Gnuxo »

A few things I noticed about Dooble is that it's the only browser that encodes and reencodes everything.
So, your browsing can be very secure. It's also faster then firefox and chrome, at least in my experience.

It has a lot of advanced security options in preferences that no other browser has.

So, it has a focus on security. I mostly use it because it's a nice browser to use.

@Greengeek,

I usually don't use Bookmarks. I'm not sure if it's a problem with the .pet or upstream at the developers'
I'll bring it to their attention and see what they say.

disciple

#9 Post by disciple »

A few things I noticed about Dooble is that it's the only browser that encodes and reencodes everything.
Is there any chance you could explain more about what you mean by this?

Thanks

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Eyes-Only

#10 Post by Eyes-Only »

I downloaded the remake offered here and on my Slacko 533 it doesn't save bookmarks either. But you're right Gnuxo - it's a nice-looking and VERY FAST lite-weight browser. One of the better Qt-based webkit browsers I've used to date so far. Now too bad there wasn't a way to make a static build of it and to get the bookmarking fixed, even if it was a bare-bones basic bookmarking feature... I depend very heavily upon my bookmarks.

I notice that when posting it also requires massive amounts of CPU ( 100% ) as well. Curious as to why. Midori uses barely none which is why I use that so much. This is comparable to a gecko-based browser in that rate.

Still though, with a little work from the devs and this will be a cut-rate piece of work worth using! :D I'm pleased! Thanks so much for having posted this Gnuxo for our Community!!

Cheers/Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

Jasper

#11 Post by Jasper »

Hi Eyes-Only,

Have you tried Dillo or Netsurf from the Slacko PPM?

I found Dillo flickers a little too much for my liking, but it's really fast and has persistent bookmarks. Netsurf has lots of features in its Preferences, but I didn't manage to adjust the font display to avoid overlapping text (probably my incompetence).

My regards

Gnuxo

#12 Post by Gnuxo »

Encoding means to convert to code. Re-encoding means to convert over again.

Meaning that cookies, information and such will be converted several times to a more secure code.

I'm not really sure how else to put it. All I know is that it's more secure.

disciple

#13 Post by disciple »

What is an example of a situation where the security would be improved?

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Eyes-Only

#14 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hi Jasper,

Oh yes... I use Dillo a lot - especially around here on the forum, mainly due to it being so lite-weight and also because of its speed. If I must say so myself, now that I think about it, I'd have to say that it's the fastest browser bar none on the net. However, its rendering does leave a little bit to be desired. Yet, if it's solely info that you're looking for then flashy backgrounds and how that info is presented matters not one iota. The important thing is getting the data that you need and in the quickest manner possible. To me, that's when Dillo comes in.

I once got a .css stylesheet from user Bruce I believe it was which went a very long ways towards dressing up the page and presented everything in a very neat manner, but it only works in Dillo v-3 and above if memory serves me correctly.

Another fast browser I enjoy using is Qupzilla, however, I've only been able to get v-1.2.0 to work on my Lucid/3HD installs, and even then I've had to have - not only the full Qt-4.7.2 base installed - but likewise the KDE4.sfs from Battleshooter as well. I would say that apparently even the "full" Qt-4.7.2 is lacking some files somewhere in order for Qupzilla to render properly. Who knows? I can no longer figure these things out with my regressing mind. -sigh- ( And for me I could care less as well as hard drive space is cheap and plentiful so far. )

Thanks for your recommendations Jasper and your help to the Puppy Community.

Cheers/Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

Gnuxo

#15 Post by Gnuxo »

I definitely disagree Eyes only. Dillo is fast, but not the fastest. I've seen better performance out of Links2.

Links2 can also play some media which dillo can't do. I personally love Netsurf.
I don't the newest version has been made a .pet yet though.

...And I'm using Qupzilla 1.3

Here's everything you need.
Install this basic version if you don't care about html5.
1:
http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/QT-4.8.0 ... t-dpup.pet

2:
http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/QT-4.8.0 ... t-dpup.pet

Install the above one if you do. However installing all that gstreamer stuff just for html5 does seem like a waste, might as well get some gstreamer apps then as well.

....And don't forget

http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/pet_pack ... -1.3.0.pet

It's compiled in dpup exprimo.

I hope it will work for you. Pemasu included the youtuber plugin so if you have VLC, you can set it up to open all videos externally in a vlc window.
It's very handy.

So far Dpup is the only puppy that can run the newest version of VLC sadly.
Besides the precise ones.