Fatdog64-600 Final and 601 (July 2012)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
smokey01

#121 Post by smokey01 »

James try right click on Rox title bar and select layer then Always on top.

Mine seems to always be on top of other apps.

Kal

#122 Post by Kal »

As a bread and butter user, I find Fatdog to be very good, it has the applications I use from the get go. The one minor fault I have is that the installed Samba will not connect to Windows 7, but XP and Linux do just fine. I don’t use Windows 7 much anyway.

I like having Qt configuration working, so, I added what was required to get it going from the larger qt4-472.pet.

The boot-up time is very good, less than 10 seconds on my semi slow 4 core computer. My son’s little bit quicker 6 core, loads in less than seven!

I have Fatdog 600 Seamonkey with Firefox added, running off of a vfat 32 partition, this is because of my older Mepis grub bootloader.

I am also, just using OpenBox and Lxpanel, I have white outed JWM and removed it from the menus because it does not work well with Xcompmgr and other numerous things. I believe it can be dropped from this OS all together and save a little space.

Over all really great job, Kirk and jamesbond.

PS: I am reversing my opinion on JWM, I compiled an older JWM 508, which is better able to handle xcompmgr. I than modified /usr/bin/jwm_menu_create to correct errors with the jwm -p test.
Last edited by Kal on Wed 25 Jul 2012, 18:15, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

Re: Report

#123 Post by rcrsn51 »

Kal wrote: The one minor fault I have is that the installed Samba will not connect to Windows 7
Are you talking about the Samba share mounting tool or the Samba server?

Get YASSM from Page 5. Run Samba share search from the Network menu.

Does your Win7 machine require authentication? If so, it will be listed as "hidden". On the next screen, you will enter the username, password and share name.

Kal

#124 Post by Kal »

Yes, that got it cooking with Window 7 on my son’s machine. I was just using the shares program before. It only needed the share name (Downloads).

Thank You for the new pet, it worked .

Kal

kirk

#125 Post by kirk »

I've attached a patched version of Xorg-server-1.11.4. This should fix the panning problem. Please test. You might have have to make a new savefile if things go bad.

P.S. The pet package is named wrong, but it is the one to try.

jamesbond

#126 Post by jamesbond »

smokey01 wrote:James try right click on Rox title bar and select layer then Always on top.
Thanks, if I do this Rox windows are always on top, but this isn't what I want. I want newly opened Rox windows to appear on top, even if all existing open windows are beneath others.
kirk wrote:I've attached a patched version of Xorg-server-1.11.4. This should fix the panning problem. Please test.
Working for me. With the panning problem fixed, the "zoom" function in Fatdog works again Image
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

LateAdopter

#127 Post by LateAdopter »

Hello Kirk

Thanks for the panning pet.

I have tried it with my system which has a single monitor, a RS880G chipset and xorg R600g. It works correctly for the basic panning widthxheight setting.

Now I will try to set up a border so that the screen pans before the cursor reaches the edge of the screen. But I'm not really sure of the syntax.

xrandr --help says:

Code: Select all

--panning <w>x<h>[+<x>+<y>[/<track:w>x<h>+<x>+<y>[/<border:l>/<t>/<r>/<b>]]]
the x.org manpage says:

--panning widthxheight[+x+y[/track_widthxtrack_height+track_x+track_y[/border_left/border_top/border_right/border_bottom]]]
I have not seen any examples that show a fully populated command. So, maybe nobody knows!

But, assuming that they mean the same thing, I think I should replace the words with the relevant number of pixels, keep the x + / delimiters and discard everything else.

This one works! After a bit of trial and error, it seems you can't skip the +0+0 bit if there is anything following.

xrandr --fb 1920x1200 --output DVI-0 --mode 1600x1200 --panning 1920x1200+0+0/1920x0+0+0/400/0/400/0
Also the border is relative to the display and not the tracking area.

gcmartin

Running a Pristine FATDOG

#128 Post by gcmartin »

FATDOG boots fast and is quick at desktop.

That said, there are a couple annoyances. Several have already been shared.

The most recent is the following: I booted pristine (no options) on a 4GB RAM X2 system to desktop.

I allowed the system to sit overnight. Open the Control Panel this morning and reset the system name. Exited Control Panel, open Openbox config and set for 5 virtual desktops.

In desktop 3 I started Hardinfo

and In deskop 2 I open Geany edit from desktop icon

I began typing and spell-checking a text document. When satisfied, I went to desktop 1 inserted a USB drive (still having issues with manual system mounts to get to NAS drives on LAN) and went back to my document. I save the document to the root of the NAS drive. After this completed, I began to continue editing my document.

About 15 secs into the editing, my system went into a spin and the desktop "locked"! No keyboard keystrokes in Geany...no mouse activity.

I Cntrl-Alt-F3 and login to run "top". It took 2+ minutes for login processing to complete. And TOP shows the PC at 0% user 55% system??? The top tasks consistently were
  • Geany
  • wpa_gui -t
  • lxpanel.bin
  • glipper.bin
  • with some ancillary pops into top 5 from
    • (df) /bin/sh /bin/sh -k
    • frememappletd
    • (fat-udev-he) ...
Killing Geany took forever. Going back to Xdesktop and attempting a Geany to see if it would reconnect original document gave me ONLY a incomplete start of Geany.

Next, Restart of desktop took forever. After which, I turn it off.

I know this may not directly ID the problem, but, maybe understanding the steps may help to zero-in.

Hope many of the things reported make it into the update.

rcrsn51

#129 Post by rcrsn51 »

@gcmartin: Can you replicate this situation from a clean reboot?

Or is leaving the machine running for an extended period part of the problem?

gcmartin

#130 Post by gcmartin »

Running a Pristine Live media system
Control Panel>Desktop Tab>Adobe Flash Player>Playback Tab cancels the Flash Player Preference settings.

Is this a bug?

smokey01

#131 Post by smokey01 »

I tried running alsamixer from a link in notecase and it locked up FatDog.

mini-jaguar

#132 Post by mini-jaguar »

jamesbond wrote:
Jim1911 wrote:
mini-jaguar wrote:Actually I figured out the problem, it's that they were not installed with the package manager, although in other Puppies all installed packages show up.
All installed packages show up. In my earlier post, at least two installed programs shown were not installed by package manager.
Jim1911 is right. You can manually check whether the "missing" packages are registered correctly - just open the file /root/.packages/user-installed-packages. If they are found inside but is not shown by the package manager, then it's a bug, let me know (please send the file to me). If they are not listed in that file to begin with ... well, try to install again and then check the file again, are they inside after that? If still not, let me know which package exactly and I'll try to duplicate that.
Sorry, it took a while because I had to reinstall some other OSes which required wiping Fatdog64, I still haven't figured that out but I reinstalled Fatdog and resumed testing.

Here is what I found out. I tried installing 10 .pet packages, and I actually did it two times (because I forgot to save, but it is better for testing).

All the packages created individual files in /root/.packages, however two of those .pets did not register in the user-installed-packages file (and consequently in the package manager).

Those two .pets are the gtk hash utility and the cpu temp utility. However, the gtk hash appeared in the regular Puppy menu. The hash utility also registered in the user-installed-packages, but only after it was installed the second time. As I wrote, I carried this test out two times, and on the second test it also only registered only on the second try.

The cpu temp pet simply opened another instance of itself on the taskbar every time it was reinstalled and never registered in the user-installed-packages file. It did, of course, have its own file in the .packages directory when installed.

Hope this helps.

rcrsn51

#133 Post by rcrsn51 »

mini-jaguar wrote:The cpu temp pet simply opened another instance of itself on the taskbar every time it was reinstalled and never registered in the user-installed-packages file. It did, of course, have its own file in the .packages directory when installed.
I think I know what the problem is. The CPUtemp package contains a post-install script that auto-starts the applet in the system tray. That way, you know it's working.

But that may conflict with the package manager - I believe I saw that in another Puppy. I will replace the auto-start with a message that says "CPUtemp will start working at the next bootup".

Thanks for finding this.

[Edit] Here is a new version. It auto-starts and registers correctly in the Package Manager. Please test.

There is another issue with CPUtemp in FD600. It contains sensors-detect which lets you search for alternate temperature modules. However, it is a Perl script and FD600 does not have Perl. OTOH, I have never seen sensors-detect find anything useful.

[Edit] To get sensors-detect working, install the devx package. That gets you Perl. But you also need to run

modprobe i2c-dev
Attachments
CPUtemp_fd600-1.5.pet
(67.16 KiB) Downloaded 414 times
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Wed 18 Jul 2012, 11:23, edited 3 times in total.

gcmartin

#134 Post by gcmartin »

@Rcrsn51, I did repeat. Similar occurance.

I think i'll wait for the update to come along.

Here to help

rcrsn51

#135 Post by rcrsn51 »

gcmartin wrote:@Rcrsn51, I did repeat. Similar occurance.
Does it only happen after extended up-time?

smokey01

#136 Post by smokey01 »

Retrovol for FatDog64-600

Retrovol is a sound card mixer.
Attachments
retrovol-0.12-x86_64.pet
Retrovol 0.12
(30.09 KiB) Downloaded 323 times

jamesbond

#137 Post by jamesbond »

smokey01 wrote:I tried running alsamixer from a link in notecase and it locked up FatDog.
Thank you Grant, this is indeed a major problem. I have seen glimpses of this before, but your case shows that it is more widespread that what I thought it is :? I've listed this as one the critical bug in the first page.
When this is fixed you still won't be able to show alsamixer from notecase link (because alsamixer is a console application - it launches but you cannot see its screen), but the desktop will not freeze to death.

Thanks for the pets also, all uploaded to the repo.

gcmartin: I have run FD600 48 hours non-stop doing usb-to-usb disk copy and heavy compilations on a mediocre laptop; I haven't encountered such problem before, so I'm not sure what happens.

As for flash-player-properties: that's the beauty of closed-source software, if it has a bug you are at the mercy of the vendor to provide a fix :wink:
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

kooliepup

#138 Post by kooliepup »

a mediocre laptop
That's an ALDI brand, isn't it?

mini-jaguar

#139 Post by mini-jaguar »

rcrsn51 wrote:
mini-jaguar wrote:The cpu temp pet simply opened another instance of itself on the taskbar every time it was reinstalled and never registered in the user-installed-packages file. It did, of course, have its own file in the .packages directory when installed.
I think I know what the problem is. The CPUtemp package contains a post-install script that auto-starts the applet in the system tray. That way, you know it's working.

But that may conflict with the package manager - I believe I saw that in another Puppy. I will replace the auto-start with a message that says "CPUtemp will start working at the next bootup".

Thanks for finding this.

[Edit] Here is a new version. It auto-starts and registers correctly in the Package Manager. Please test.
O.k., so I trash the save file, wow, it's really easy to do in Fatdog64. In 32-bit Puppies you can't trash the save file of the Puppy you're using in frugal, plus it takes a long time (using another Puppy than the one the save file belongs to, although I suppose there might be ways to get around that). Here it was a breeze.

So now I'm testing the package system for the third time. The new CPUtemp installs correctly and shows in the package manager and all pertinent places. It starts after a reboot and seems to work fine.

Not surprisingly, the gtk hash utility didn't install at all on the first try, on the second try it installed correctly.

The remaining 8 packages I keep testing installed fine.

jamesbond

#140 Post by jamesbond »

kooliepup wrote:
a mediocre laptop
That's an ALDI brand, isn't it?
:lol: ALDI's brand is Medion but yeah that's close enough :lol: