Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.12 with 3.4.2 kernel.

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Terry H

#821 Post by Terry H »

I have tested the new 5.X.3.4.2.7 iso against my bcm4211 wifi chip. All is working OK. Wifi was successfully established on initial boot. Save file created on Reboot.

This is excellent work by pemasu and rerwin. Thank you.

@ pemasu. Following on from my PM, I ran again and all was OK.

Terry

Gnuxo

#822 Post by Gnuxo »

I just heard about an email client called RoundCube and I was wondering if it should be a strong contender to being a default mail client on puppy.

I mean, it opens in your browser but at the same time, it's locally installed.

I know that Dpup doesn't have a mailer by default. So, I was putting out there to maybe give RoundCube a chance.

....I also miss Bleachbit. If I install bleachbit in Dpup, how will it work?

pemasu

#823 Post by pemasu »

Thanks Terry H. It looks like the biggest obstacle with all included broadcom drivers has been stepped over. b43 - wl -brcm -with bcma - ssb should work now....without causing kernel hanging when loading and unloading the modules. This looks good and the demands for woof building are small. Maybe some fine tuning might take place if pmodemdiag files shows the need for them.
I wait for report of successful usage of wl driver and then I move the build to the main folder. I will update the first page anyway this evening.

I have compiled 3.4.4 kernel by the way. Probably I wont create uploaded build of it. There does not seem to be much interesting new modules. Dvb - wireless -staging drivers are alll the same. Not even one new one. I know that iwlwifi stuff has been under many bug fixes...but I havent heard even one complaint of them in murga-forum. Only complaints have been missing firmwares and they have been updated quickly.

pemasu

#824 Post by pemasu »

Gnuxo. I have left default email out when I created my first Puppy called Snow Puppy. There is stil my arguments in Snow Puppy first page in first announcement post. They are still valid for me.
Everybody can install and use the mail client he/she wishes and most use nowadays web mail with browser...like gmail. There are too many clients and habits that including one is mostly wasted space.

If I would include Seamonkey as default browser that would come with mail client...and I have now and then included it....who knows.....I just like most Firefox.

Today I updated my youngest son Chrome Linux. It is Open Suse preconfigured distro in iso file with Google-chrome browser, mediaplayers, LibreOffice, Gimp etc...He likes it. He used my Puppies couple of years....but when there came a problem with some net game....I installed that one as a test and he was sold. It was easy to install and use. Just download iso. Boot it, it installs and updates the repositories and there you go. Almost as easy as Puppy usage.
The preconfigured Chrome browser with icons to Angry Bird ( Finnish game ) and almost all places he wants to go, like Youtube seems to be valued by 12 years old boy. He has that P4 dual core desktop which I bought as used couple of years ago...almost free.
There is nothing which Puppy couldnt do or play....but he does not want to change back...sniff....

peebee

#825 Post by peebee »

pemasu wrote:I wait for report of successful usage of wl driver and then...
wl driver works fine on my laptop on initial bootup it is selected as the correct driver for my wifi chip.

Thanks
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

pemasu

#826 Post by pemasu »

Great ! Thanks peebee.

Gnuxo

#827 Post by Gnuxo »

I did notice a few glitches in Qupzilla. Like some websites don't function properly, and can't be logged into.

There was an update to Qupzilla. 1.31 and It says it fixed a few bugs and I'm wondering if it's worth it to update.

charlie6

#828 Post by charlie6 »

Hi Pemasu,
about 5X3426
trying to understand about no pupsave created on one specific PIV intel HP desktop (owned by end 2006 ... so not that much "old timer").

here 5X3426 boots OK from live-cd with pfix-ram and seems running fine;
i can use Puppy Universal installer to succesfully create a 5X3426frugal folder + copy the puppy_squeeze_5.X.3.4.2.6.sfs + vmlinuz + initrd.gz.
But upon either first poweroff or reboot it cannot create a pupsave, once the partition where to save the pupsave file has been choosen (here sda8); it looks like it cannot find - better: it longs to find - the partitions any longer ...!

I now went to install pupsaveconfig-2.2.4.pet.
Here is the command line comments:
# pupsaveconfig
/usr/bin/pupsaveconfig: line 411: 24135 Terminated $GTKDIALOG -p DIALOG -c > /dev/null
and does not end ...!
together with a dialog box telling ... endlessly
Probing Devices. Wait a moment ...

Then the CPU rate increases - ca. 54% for running /usr/bin/mount-FULL binary (i hear the PC fan speed increasing ..) - see attachment.

So 5X3426 looks running OK (currently posting from it) but only cannot create a pupsave ... :?:

thanks in advance for ant help !
cheers , charlie
Attachments
5x3426_on_sda8.png
successfully copy of iso files on sda8
(96.87 KiB) Downloaded 245 times
psconf3426.png
pupsaveconfig-2.2.4 comment + LXTask report
(57.51 KiB) Downloaded 226 times

gcmartin

#829 Post by gcmartin »

pemasu wrote: ... If I would include Seamonkey as default browser that would come with mail client...

... Today I updated my youngest son Chrome Linux. It is Open Suse preconfigured distro in iso file ....
Pemasu, this is some good news from you.

SeaMonkey
I saw and praised your including SeaMonkey when you built Precise. Very good read by you for Barry.

I am a Netscape convert (before your time) and Mozilla>SeaMonkey is a good addition (thx to BarryK ... and you). I still favor full-featured browsers (browse-email-webpage development-etc). There are some who feel compelled to differ, but, hark....Mozilla is builder a browserOS as we speak.

ChromeOS
Where can I get the ISO for ChromeOS? Did you have it on your Smokey01.com/Pemasu somewhere?

Anyway looking forward to your Exprimo ISO.

BTW Hows the shoulder?

pemasu

#830 Post by pemasu »

Chrome Linux is different thing as Chrome OS.
http://susestudio.com/a/jMOVxa/chrome-linux
http://getchrome.eu/
I have nothing to do with it, except I donwloaded it because I wanted to check OS for my youngest son with simple user environment. And that one sounded like it. And the Chromium as browser seems to be good for my son (just noticed it is not google-chrome anymore but Chromium, lol). There is huge repo for apps also. I still hope that I can convert him to puppy user again, lol. But kids like candies too....

About Seamonkey - Firefox, both are good. I just seem to come back to Firefox. Habit again.

My shoulder gets better. I have done 15 km roller blade trips now, with poles. I cant lift much yet but it does not affect the skiing like pushing with poles.

Rerwin posted about finetuning need. I let things rest one day and then I probably still do one build more. I have couple other fixes ready. Not quite finished yet.

Oh yeah. Today I watched best Finnish production movie so far, called Iron Sky. I can recommend. The manuscript has been written by finnish science fiction writer Johanna Sinisalo ( I had liked her writings ), director and main producer are Finns. The movie making has been global though.
http://www.ironsky.net/site/film/about/
http://www.ironsky.net/site/support/finance/
Iron Sky is produced by Blind Spot Pictures (Finland), Energia Productions (Finland), 27 Films Production (Germany) and New Holland Pictures (Australia). Iron Sky has finished principal photography and the film is now in post production. The movie premiered at the Berlinale on 11th of February 2012 and will receive a worldwide theatrical distribution during spring and summer 2012. For more information on disribution see the release dates.

Iron Sky is a science fiction black comedy. The film is a Finnish-German-Australian co-production, filmed mainly in English, with a budget of 7.5 million euros.
Directed by Timo Vuorensola
Produced by Tero Kaukomaa (Blind Spot Pictures), Samuli Torssonen (Energia Productions), Oliver Damian (27 Films Production), Cathy Overett and Mark Overett (New Holland Pictures).
Executive producer San Fu Maltha
Screenplay Johanna Sinisalo (Nebula Award nominee 2009, Finlandia 2000) and Michael Kalesniko (Private Parts).
The film idea sounds grazy but it is really funny movie. Nobody can take the nazis seriously when watching that movie. That is the reason the main actor was german, first he thought to refuse because it was about nazis, but when he read the manuscript he decided to act.

don570

#831 Post by don570 »

I continued to change the script resizepfile.ph
and the final version is here...

Note that Xdialog allows left justification which makes
the text look better.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 850#640850

I've downloaded new version of exprimo and I'll check pclock.
I complained to Zigbert about pclock but I don't think he
has the time. He has a new version of pburn.

Rocket

#832 Post by Rocket »

I've been enjoying 5.X.3.4.2.7 and have included a couple of observations here. Thanks for the fine work pemasu.

1. VLC

Installed qt-4.8.0-basic-with-qtwebkit-dpup.pet, vlc-2.0.1-deps-dpup.pet,and vlc-2.0.1-dpup.pet. When playing a webm video, vlc produces the following error:

"No suitable decoder module:
VLC does not support the audio or video format "VP80". Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this."

Used to play fine with 5.X.3.4.2.1

2. Bootflash USB installer

Fails to properly format the memory stick and hangs. I swapped out the /lib/syslinux directory from another version (racy) and it worked fine. All but one of the files are read/write only, so maybe there is a permissions problem.

pemasu

#833 Post by pemasu »

Rocket. I hope you installed vlc-2.0.1-dpup from the PPM or from exprimo repo from the net:
http://smokey01.com/pemasu/pet_packages-exprimo/
If you used your previously downloaded version...it probably wont play x264 and webm.
I have compiled newest versions of them and then I compiled new version of ffmpeg against them, recompile of vlc and xine-libs and gxine, I updated gnome-mplayer and changed mplayer to single processor compatible version.

So....you need to redownload vlc-2.0.1-dpup so that it is compatible with new versions of libvpx and libx264
2. Bootflash USB installer
Fails to properly format the memory stick and hangs
That needs inspection. I will test it and check the binaries.

pemasu

#834 Post by pemasu »

Rocket. Thank you about bootflash bug report. It has been fixed. I will include the fix to my next release.
There really was something wrong with the stuff inside /usr/lib/syslinux. Squeeze original ones have never worked with puppy scripts and I have struggled to find working combination. It seems that I had something wrong with stuff still. I replaced the stuff all together. I suppose the original pet I have created had malfunction...so replacing the stuff and replacing one symlink with real .bin one fixed it. So...I cant say what was the original problem...since replacing the stuff was the main fix.

gnomic

timeline

#835 Post by gnomic »

Hi Pemasu,

Thanks for your reply to my enquiry about the line of time with your projects back on 12 July - already it seems so long ago :-)

Maybe it could be possible to include release date in the iso title as 120717 for example? Just to help us old folk keep up with where things are at.

charlie6

(solved) pupsave not created here on PIV HP intel PC

#836 Post by charlie6 »

Hi Pemasu,
good news ! :D
- see attachment -
have found that the HDD IDE partition table here on my PIV HP desktop was unrecognized by GParted.
And that booting from an external USB hard drive works succesfully (sdb has been setup to boot)
- PIV HP ntel PC story ...
(by 2009 or 2010, i installed Mageia OS on this machine, together with other puppies; after a few weeks i wiped out Mageia; since then, GParted reported sda to be unrecognized; this machine continued to run ALL puppies whatever manual or live-cd installed ... excepted ... dpup exprimo from 5X3421; Mageia would have modified the MBR in the way to install its own boot menu, which is currently used although i wiped Mageia out off its HDD.
I did no effort to correct this «irregular» situation as I also was happy it was working. :oops:
questions:
- I wonder now if pmodemdiag could have reported this sda «unrecognized» state ?
- what could be the difference between 5X342's and previous 5X3110 (as also other puppies like later lucid528, slacko533 ... and of course earlier which all ran and install OK on this machine) that this unrecognized partition is no longer usable? is it woof characteristic ?
So again many thanks for your time and kind answers to my posts; and for 5X3428 :wink:
Cheers, charlie
Attachments
usbdrive.jpg
(68.16 KiB) Downloaded 233 times

pemasu

#837 Post by pemasu »

It is great that you got it solved or at last you have hunch. The HP P4 dual core desktop which I do have...has something strange in its hdd also. When I was going to replace it...I read from net...that not all hdd`s will work. HP had done something special configuration. I dont remember exactly what it was...but it stopped me to just buy bigger hdd. There were several failure reports with that HP model with hdd replacement. My used HP was/is somekind office version. Poor graphics and so on....It is about 2 years so I cant remember any exact facts.

I didnt check the hdd specs from pmodemdiag.....might check again...

Gnuxo

#838 Post by Gnuxo »

Pemasu, I was on the IRC chat with Nowrep, the guy who developed Qupzilla and he said that version 1.3.0 has a bug with cookie filtering which could affect some sites from working properly.

There was a bug fix release 1.3.1 and I wondering if it needs to be packaged or if it's not a big deal?

pemasu

#839 Post by pemasu »

Gnuxo. You are quick chatting with developers. Soon I will have time to recompile it. I hope that youtuber plugin compiles with update also.

pemasu

#840 Post by pemasu »

Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.2.8 has been uploaded. I used new woof and this is first build with it.

I have rerwin's latest version of b43-b44-ssb-wl-bcma-brcm autoloader. Thank you rerwin of your unstoppable work with this universal broadcom wireless and ethernet loader.

This time I should have nouveau xorg driver included...in good and bad. and nouveau kernel module. I dont know if nouveau is usable.

Pclock instead of puppyclock, bootflash fixed, Sfs downloader uses now curl and is superfast to connect, thanks stu90 !!!, Pburn 3.7.1, new driver 8192cu (proprietary) which might work with some chips which rtl8192cu didnt. I gave preference for it to get feedback. Resizepfile.sh now 640x480 resolution compliant and also localized, thanks don570. Frisbee enable-disable manager got some finetuning. Still if you want to disable Frisbee and use SNS, reboot is mostly needed. Wpa_supplicant gives hiccups. But now changing from SNS back to Frisbee is just matter of using manager and enable Frisbee with it. SNS created net profile might be wise to be deleted.

Small fixes and updates. Most work has been done with broadcom testing. And creating new woof platform. Usually something small is missing when I change to new woof, so lets see. Feedback is welcome.

Download link: http://smokey01.com/pemasu/DpupSqueeze5 ... imo5X3428/