Puppy gives black bar across monitor with SiS video card

Please post any bugs you have found
Bruce B

Puppy gives black bar across monitor with SiS video card

#1 Post by Bruce B »

I don't know if this is a bug, because I don't have much statistic.

I installed Puppy on two computers that had SiS video cards (chips) and each time the display had unpleasant horizontal black running accross the monitor. I don't know the words to describe it exactly. It was usabable, but not what it should be.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

I'm running an SiS video chip right now, no problem.
This is my chip:

Code: Select all

# cat /proc/pci | grep "VGA"
    VGA compatible controller: PCI device 1039:6330 (Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]) (rev 0).

Bruce B

#3 Post by Bruce B »

Okay, so there is no know problem with SiS cards.

I think it might be my monitor. I repair and setup computers using the same monitor, keyboard and mouse. I have a repair station that can control four computers with the same monitor, keyboard and mouse.

Keeps me busy, running several computers at a time, just a hobby that satisifies my need to tinker, learn and bring in some money.

My favorite repair is when someone brings me a computer with a thrashed Windows system. One of those things that requires the install CD. I ask, "Where is the Windows disk?" They never know.

So I offer to give them Linux OS and software free of charge, if they want. Not that I'm pulling anything fast. I explain the basics and downsides, along with the upsides.

Amazing how many people like the Linux OS!

But not for serious gamers, but they usually keep their systems up themselves.

I'm a Linux avocate I guess. :)

PS: I live close to a major university FTP mirror. Believe it or not, I can download software from there at 550Kbs with cable connection. I think that is about like having 5 T1 lines, isn't it?

I can setup Suse professional from that server faster than using the CD-ROMS and changing the disks.