Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.12 with 3.4.2 kernel.

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
edoc

#901 Post by edoc »

Gnuxo wrote:
Firefox feels a little too Google & MS-heavy-handed.
It is something other than Thunderbird?
Is it a minimalist E-mail client?
It's called Simple Mail.
It's rather nice. You can configure it to recieve only, send only or both and you can choose where the mail is stored. I usually store it outside the save file.
It's pretty minimalist.
SimpleMail sounds like it has everything I use in Seamonkey.

I will toy with Firefox and if I can purge the google nonsense and minimize some of the other noise then this may just persuade me to move from Seamonkey to Firefox/SimpleMail.

Thanks!
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

majorfoo

#902 Post by majorfoo »

rerwin wrote:
pemasu wrote:Thank you majorfoo for testing and giving feedback of remasterpup2 a la rerwin. I have replaced the script in woof.
pemasu, shinobar, majorfoo,
Please be aware that the remasterpup2 in lucid pup is not intended for use in "post-zzz" woof-based puppies, such as exprimo. However, I some time ago posted a version built on the woof version of remasterpup2, along with other related mods. That is the one appropriate for exprimo. Here is the posting with several fixes for porting from lucid into woof.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 813#633525
I am not aware that Barry has responded to that posting. Maybe that version can be merged with a version that supports xz compression (unless it already does).

The main difference is in the calculation of the string appended to the generated sfs files. Lupu uses a shorter string. Barry later increased its length for woof. The risk of using the lupu version is that it might cause boot-up problems. Please use the woof version.
Richard
I tried your precise_rerwin_fixes.pet with clean copy of dpup exprimo 5x3.4.2.8
I must have done something wrong - original live cd was 137mb and remastered copy was only 41 mb.
On the screen where it is creating the 4.0 filesystem for puppylivecdbuild - this supposed to take several minutes - the remaster went by so fast i could not read it

any idea what I may have done wrong?

Pemasu pulled the remaster2 portion out of your patch-009 in lucid series as shown on page 27of lucid-528-005 posts. The remaster works fine using his pet. I have managed to bypass the save on shutdown, plus the quickstart screen on remaster, so it is working ok for me with my changes.

Gnuxo

#903 Post by Gnuxo »

I will toy with Firefox and if I can purge the google nonsense
What google nonsense do you mean? Google adsense and Google search?
I use Duckduckgo for everything on Firefox.
...And if you really want to tinker with Firefox without delving into about:config, install the Confuration Mania addon. It allows you to easily micro manage every little thing in the browser.

Firefox is very configurable.

pemasu

#904 Post by pemasu »

Don570. Puppyclock-0.41 still causes broken pipe errors which flood /tmp/xerrs.log.
sh: line 17: echo: write error: Broken pipe
sh: line 18: echo: write error: Broken pipe
I have uploaded Seamonkey-2.11 to the exprimo repo:
http://smokey01.com/pemasu/pet_packages ... y-2.11.pet

majorfoo

Re: remasterpup2-20120720

#905 Post by majorfoo »

shinobar wrote:UPDATE: remasterpup2-20120720.pet
Merged most recent woof + rerwin's fix against precise alpha + rodin's fix seen in slacko + shinobar's fix.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 564#641564
shinobar - I tried your pet with a new live cd of dpup exprimo 5x4.3.2.8
and got the same results when i tried rerwins fix for precise alpha.
The original iso was 137mb and the remastered iso was 43mb.
I must be doing something wrong. Neither works for me. The screen where it is creating 4.0 file system on mnt/xxxxx/puppylivecdbuild went by so fast was unable to read it. Entire remaster process was just under four minutes.

rerwin

#906 Post by rerwin »

pemasu,
I have sent a PM to majorfoo requesting some information. I have also tried to re-create his problem by installing the "precise_rerwin_fixes..." package into a pfix=ram environment using both 5.X.3.4.2.2 and 5.X.3.4.2.8. My remasters completed successfully. Does anyone else see a problem with that fix package?
Richard

majorfoo

#907 Post by majorfoo »

rerwin wrote:pemasu,
I have sent a PM to majorfoo requesting some information. I have also tried to re-create his problem by installing the "precise_rerwin_fixes..." package into a pfix=ram environment using both 5.X.3.4.2.2 and 5.X.3.4.2.8. My remasters completed successfully. Does anyone else see a problem with that fix package?
Richard
Tried again with new copy of 5x3.4.2.8 iso
Did not work for me - Info about my computer, steps I used and copy of errs.log sent pm in answer to your request.

Since I am the only person having problems with this, please do not spend a lot of time fixing just for me. I have been able to accomplish what I want by using remasterpup2-replacement-0.0.1-pet provided by pemasu and making a few changes in other areas.

thanks

shinobar

Re: remasterpup2-20120721

#908 Post by shinobar »

majorfoo wrote:
Merged most recent woof + rerwin's fix against precise alpha + rodin's fix seen in slacko + shinobar's fix.
I must be doing something wrong. Neither works for me. The screen where it is creating 4.0 file system on mnt/xxxxx/puppylivecdbuild went by so fast was unable to read it. Entire remaster process was just under four minutes.
Confirmed.
It is a mystery in some case(rerwin) it works and doesn't in another case(majorfoo and shinobar). But the cause is the '-wildcards' option of the mksquashfs.

UPDATE: remasterpup2-20120721.pet
http://shino.pos.to/linux/puppy/
#120721 avoid wildcards option introduded in 120605 (thanks to majorfoo ), remove /usr/share/icons/hicolor/icon-theme.cache
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

linuph

#909 Post by linuph »

Using 5.X.3.4.2.8 on USB flash.

Question: saving squeezesave takes a relatively long time, while loading at at boot happens in a second. The first save takes a very long time. When autosaving, other processes are slowed down temporarily. Why is that? Is more happening than meets the eye?

I did not notice this with other Puppies than Dpup Exprimo.

pemasu

#910 Post by pemasu »

Linuph. I do not have idea of the cause atm. I keep it in mind.

I have compiled latest svn rev of e17. Now I got rid of those blank spaces in systray....where those puppy tray apps are. Great. It is always challenge to get e17 svn to behave. Now the culprit was to add winlist-ng module....by trial and error....I noticed that the composite was on as default....and it crashed e17 in my laptop....when I used default launch without any /root/.e puppy modifications. By googling I got hunch from one bug report that including winlist-ng might fix it...and yes...when I compiled and added that module...and when he initial e17 questions panels popped up...there was now new possibility to uncheck composite manager manifested...unticking that I got e17 starting without errors. I got one hanging before and hard poweroff was needed....before I had saved anything....lol.

I didnt use my modifications to see how e17 behaves natively...and that is why it showed those initialization questions.

Now this seems to behave....no e17 crashes. I might compile some extra modules same way...

Hmm...sometimes I really should try to read RTFM first....but this is fun....
Last edited by pemasu on Sat 21 Jul 2012, 09:36, edited 1 time in total.

pemasu

#911 Post by pemasu »

Rain, snow and flame modules compiled. You get cloud, falling rain drops and animated flame to the desktop. Well....
Attachments
flame-cloud-and-falling-rain-drops_new.jpg
(47.24 KiB) Downloaded 705 times

edoc

#912 Post by edoc »

Gnuxo wrote:
I will toy with Firefox and if I can purge the google nonsense
What google nonsense do you mean? Google adsense and Google search?
I use Duckduckgo for everything on Firefox.
...And if you really want to tinker with Firefox without delving into about:config, install the Confuration Mania addon. It allows you to easily micro manage every little thing in the browser.

Firefox is very configurable.
Thanks for the heads-up!

I hope to get back to this later today and will see what I can do to purge Firefox of google and to otherwise customize it to my liking - including the SmartMail add-on.

Thanks!
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

pemasu

#913 Post by pemasu »

I created a pet of the pcmanfm file manager which utilizes akash rawal`s pup-volume-monitor. It means that you get volumes ie partitions to the file manager left side and you can mount and unmount them.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 8a6aead0a1

It is useful for e17. Now there is another way to get drives visible with one click. In the pet is all what is needed for e17 usage. Of course it works in jwm also, but I disabled the pup-volume-monitor for jwm usage. There is not much need for it because there is drive icons in desktop. If you want to use pcmanfm also in jwm...you need to just launch pup-volume-monitor ie edit the script /root/Startup/pup-volume-monitor. I just dont know how stable pup-volume-monitor...or my created pcmanfm stuff is...so that is why I disabled it in jwm...another reason.

I have tested that the pcmanfm works in e17. Pup-volume-monitor has been compiled in dpup, the pcmanfm has been created from squeeze debs. So....I suppose it should work...if it is compliant and stable in e17.

You cant say that pcmanfm with libs is big...lol.
When you install the pets...restarting X is enough to launch pup-volume-monitor...switching from jwm to e17 do the thing after installing the pet. e17 gets new desktop icon and pcmanfm is behing one click...another one to mount drives.

There is also desktop_drive_icons creation by akash rawal. It works...you get the drives visible almost like in jwm...but the pseudotransparency does not find wallpaper in e17 and the drives panel was somewhat big without pseudotransparency matching the wallpaper. If that would work in e17...then there would be jwm like drives icons in desktop nicely. Now the lookout was....not so nice. So...I wont include that pet now.
Attachments
pup-volume-monitor-0.1.4.pet
(60.68 KiB) Downloaded 429 times
pcmanfm_NLS-0.9.7.pet
(163.14 KiB) Downloaded 419 times
pcmanfm-with-drive-icons-in-e17.jpg
(114.53 KiB) Downloaded 429 times

don570

#914 Post by don570 »

Check out this right click app. Is it useful????

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 955#641955

pemasu

#915 Post by pemasu »

Don570. Nice touch. It worked nicely. I will add your rox right click for folder usage gladly.
Did you notice that in 5.X.3.4.2.8 has rox right click Add folder to the Pmusic playlist...which adds all music files to the Pmusic when right clicking the folder full of music files. I created it with .node_directory (like you) but without code ( I dont have abilities) using pmusic folder addition syntax: pmusic -r

All the Pmusic additions...are welcome. Thanks. And when they are rox right clicks....even better.

don570

#916 Post by don570 »

I noticed that -r option when I looked thru pmusic options in terminal
but I found that it doesn't work that well. :cry:

Too much junk is added.

That's why I spent the time to develop this method instead.

pemasu

#917 Post by pemasu »

The more reason to add your great rox right click addition. Thanks. :D

majorfoo

#918 Post by majorfoo »

shinobar wrote:
majorfoo wrote:
Confirmed.
It is a mystery in some case(rerwin) it works and doesn't in another case(majorfoo and shinobar). But the cause is the '-wildcards' option of the mksquashfs.

UPDATE: remasterpup2-20120721.pet
http://shino.pos.to/linux/puppy/
#120721 avoid wildcards option introduded in 120605 (thanks to majorfoo ), remove /usr/share/icons/hicolor/icon-theme.cache
Received PM from rerwin to try following:

boot fresh copy of dpup exprimo 5.x.3.4.2.8
Install precise_rerwin_fixes-1.pet mentioned earlier
install shinobar's remasterpup2-20120721
run remaster process.
I did not make any changes to /root in/tmp directory
I did not make any changes to /etc in /tmp directory
Remaster completed without any problems.
Remastered cd booted to desktop, however did not remove quick start. Also, remastered cd did not stop save on shutdown.

booted again with fresh copy of dpup exprimo 5.x.3.4.2.8
run remaster process.
This time I removed /root in /tmp directory and copied /root to /tmp
I also removed /etc from /tmp directory and copied /etc to /tmp
Remaster completed without any problems
Remastered cd booted to desktop and did not display quick start
On shutdown, did not ask to save.

Above gives user choice on how the remastered cd will function.

Rerwin advised he working on rerwin_fixes-2.pet and will be posted soon.

Many thanks to peamesu, rerwin, shinobar and others for all the hard work on this and other puppies.

shinobar

#919 Post by shinobar »

majorfoo wrote:booted again with fresh copy of dpup exprimo 5.x.3.4.2.8
run remaster process.
This time I removed /root in /tmp directory and copied /root to /tmp
I also removed /etc from /tmp directory and copied /etc to /tmp
Remaster completed without any problems
Remastered cd booted to desktop and did not display quick start
On shutdown, did not ask to save.
What for the precise_rerwin_fixes-1.pet?
I did expect the precise_rerwin_fixes-1.pet and followed your remaster proccess. Remastered cd booted to desktop and did not display quick start. And on shutdown, it asked to save.

EDIT: I see no ask to save is the function of the rerwin's fix, and is no problem if it is what you intended.

You need to enter 'puppy pfix=ram' at booting cd if you have any dpup install on hdd.
Last edited by shinobar on Mon 23 Jul 2012, 08:40, edited 2 times in total.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

rerwin

#920 Post by rerwin »

pemasu, shinobar, majorfoo,
I have updated my posting in the precise_pup thread:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 525#633525
to correct remasterpup2 and add the latest fixes relevant to woof going forward. The update (precise_rerwin_fixes-2) accomplishes the same as the fixes-1 plus shinobar's remasterpup2 packages.
shinobar wrote:What for the precise_rerwin_fixes-1.pet?
For the "boot disk" remaster, remasterpup2 merely sets 2 indicators to suppress quickstart and the pupsave prompt. The "fixes" package also contains the scripts (delayedrun & rc.shutdown) that check those indicators and perform their function.

(I omitted the rodin.s mod because I see no benefit from using the internal file instead of the official interface (mount); omitted the pupmessage internal procedure because it appears to be only for backward compatibility, whereas woof is for newer puppies and contains pupmessage.)
Richard