Squeezed Arm Puppy for Raspberry Pi, alpha4

Please post any bugs you have found
01micko

#161 Post by 01micko »

Lobster wrote:Finally in Alpha 4 - problems with dd in Slacko 5.3.3.2
took for ever to recognise my SD card . . .
Thia is often a hardware issue. Those cheapy (and some not so cheap) card readers are to blame, I had the same until I switched readers, now no problem.
Lobster wrote:typed in depmod at console and rebooted
(not even sure if that makes a real difference)
Lobster, that bug is only in my Wheezy build, Sap6 uses the older style depmod and modules tools. Sound is working out of the box in Sap6! :)
Lobster wrote:The sound is quiet even with mixmos set to full.
I think for decent sound you needa a pair of powered speakers. Since raspi is so low powered it's probably sending minimal current through the sound circuit, probably only enough to just drive your headphones. My 120W powered monitors ( read sound monitors :wink: ) sound great!! :P
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

01micko

#162 Post by 01micko »

Barry

When I plug in my usb HDD I don't get the drive icons (2 partitions, ntfs and ext4). Need to run Pmount to use it.

Attempting to compile gutenprint-5.2.8 now.

EDIT: Yes! Printing works for me with gutenprint-5.2.8 .. more tomorrow, having a beer now! (tested with a .doc from abiword).

EDIT2: Got that problem with Xorg not dying, had to hard power off.. I reckon it's a kernel issue because my new kernel actually powers down the Pi (different xorg version though). Sap6 has never done that. The filesystem check was started and seemed successful.

(later edits are fixing typos due to beer :roll:)
Last edited by 01micko on Fri 20 Jul 2012, 13:56, edited 2 times in total.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#163 Post by Lobster »

Thanks mick - using unpowered speakers
Gonna get better reader

http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/19/chro ... available/

Browser
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#164 Post by Lobster »

I think for decent sound you needa a pair of powered speakers
Yep that worked. I think they are 5 watt - good enough. 8)

Also downloaded the devx.
Had to copy all the devx files to /
and reboot. Is that right? Can SFS be loaded automatically yet?

Just compiled the ubiquitous 'hello world' like so:

Code: Select all

# gcc hi.c -o hi
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

rhadon

#165 Post by rhadon »

aragon wrote:maybe a valid terminfo is missing for rxvt-unicode-256color.
Maybe, but I don't know where to look for. :oops:
Lobster wrote:problems with dd in Slacko 5.3.3.2
took for ever to recognise my SD card . . .
After installing .img files with dd and sync (internal card reader, EeePc), I can't mount the card. Gparted shows allways yellow triangles for partition 1 and 2. After moving the swap partition to the end (or creating one), the triangles disappear and everything is fine. This worked everytime for me.
01micko wrote:When I plug in my usb HDD I don't get the drive icons (2 partitions, ntfs and ext4). Need to run Pmount to use it.
I tested 2 usb hds, one with some ext3 and ext4 partitions and one with some vfat and ext3 partitions. Drive icons work as expected. So I would guess, it's a problem with ntfs. :wink:

HTH,
Rolf
Ich verwende "frugal", und das ist gut so. :wink:
Raspberry Pi without Puppy? No, thanks.

antiloquax

#166 Post by antiloquax »

antiloquax wrote:
glxgears test

"Safe" overclock: best reading was 19.170 fps

No overclock: 19.077 fps

Over-voltage: 26.994 fps
Over-voltage with swapon - 29.103
Thought I'd run this in Arch, just for fun.
This was in the "safe" overclock settings, with swapon:
31.844 fps
My System:Arch-Arm on RPi!
"[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76049l]RacyPy[/url]" puplet on Toshiba Tecra 8200. PIII, 256 MB RAM.
[url=http://raspberrypy.tumblr.com/]RaspberryPy[/url]: Lobster and I blog about the RPi.

eowens2

#167 Post by eowens2 »

Just a couple of comments on SAP6 alpha-4.

The sound "just works" OTB on my powered analogue speakers (I have not tried them on previous alpha versions). I did not go thru any set-up of ALSA. There is occasional static coming thru them; the speakers are quite inexpensive ones just purchased from Walmart, so the static problem could be in the quality of the speakers (I have not used them before on a different system). I used GNOME MPlayer to play some MP3 files.

I am not hearing the "Woof-Woof" during the boot up of Puppy. Has this not been added yet?

The CUPS 1.4.4 continues to work (I used it in alphas 1 and 2 but not try it in 3). It found my HP 6500 e710n multifunction printer (wirelessly connects to my router, R_pi connects by wired ethernet to the router) without difficulty, and installed it using the drivers found in HPLIP.

When one clicks on the "Setup CUPS Printing" choice in the "Setup" Desktop icon, the user is routed thru an info page which says that HPLIPlite is available, but PPM is unable to find HPLIPlite. HPLIP (heavy!) could be found and that I what I used for my printer driver.

PPM is still installing the Ace-of-Penguins games under Utilities/General Utilities/name-of-game; however Mahjong installs under the "Fun" menu. I am still seeing the "line 1 : syntax error: unexpected '(' " during the updating and processing of the databases.

rrolsbe

Glad to hear multioot is working with Puppy Alpha4

#168 Post by rrolsbe »

Rolf

Thanks for keeping us abreast of your multiboot testing!

Since, In my opinion, booting Puppy using only only SFS files and a PUPSAVE file is one of Puppies greatest strengths (among many!), multiboot interests me greatly. Since the Pi must un-compress binaries located inside SFS files, does the Pi seem to launch the binaries slower? I assume the core SFS file is to large to be resident in RAM as it is on my x86 machine with LOTS of RAM? Since the read speed is fairly slow on a typical Pi SDHC card, the time it takes to un-compress might be negligible because less information must be read from the SDHC media? However, this may not be true if the full install and SFS installs were being read from a FASTER USB2.0 attached hard drive/SSD? I am currently trying out Puppy Alpha-4 and Raspbian and have /root for each on two ext4 partitions on an external hard drive. I simply change some settings in the SDHC vfat /boot partition to select which OS to boot. BTW, both OS's are more responsive using /boot from the external hard drive. This external USB hard drive is connected to and is being powered by a USB port on my Motorola LapDock.

What I would like to do is multiboot from a large SDHC card (slow but most portable), large USB stick (faster but must give up a USB port) and a USB spinning/SS drive (hopefully faster than a USB stick but still gives up a USB port and draws more battery power when disconnected from the 110 outlet). Binary loading time testing needs to be performed to verify my speed assumptions.

At this time Raspbian appears to be slightly more responsive that Puppy Alpha-4, but It appears the Puppy Gods are looking at Raspbian armhf for a future Puppy version (YEAH!!!) Hopefully the Raspbian/Puppy developers will incorporate the assembly language SSL code to speed up SSH and HTTPS. When this happens, I predict Puppy will be the official OS recommended by the Raspberry Pi foundation (but I have been wrong many times in the past).

Thanks Again Rolf!
Regards, Ron

01micko

#169 Post by 01micko »

Gutenprint!

This has heaps of new drivers,

http://www.smokey01.com/01micko/armv6/p ... -armv6.pet

dev,nls in folder http://www.smokey01.com/01micko/armv6/p ... s-squeeze/

Note to Barry, needed krb5-multidev squeeze package to compile as gssapi.h is not in the libkrb5-dev package.[ :? strange]

This will fix some local printing issues ie: no driver for your printer. There are lots of new Canon drivers and others.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#170 Post by Lobster »

I am not hearing the "Woof-Woof" during the boot up of Puppy. Has this not been added yet?
Not been added. Not sure if Barry has sound yet. I have sound from headphone not yet on HDMI.
I changed my TV from auto to PCM audio output. No difference. Still trying to find some elusive setting . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

nooby

#171 Post by nooby »

Did not somebody comment that the circuit maybe only had Line audio out
and not Headphone or Speaker power out. If you connect it to a mixer board or the sensitive Audio in to an external Amplifier then maybe the sound is okay?

That was what I read but have no link. could be on Barry's blog not sure
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

BarryK
Puppy Master

#172 Post by BarryK »

Lobster wrote:
Not been added. Not sure if Barry has sound yet. I have sound from headphone not yet on HDMI.
I changed my TV from auto to PCM audio output. No difference. Still trying to find some elusive setting . . .
The "woof woof" is done in /usr/sbin/delayedrun using 'aplay' -- but aplay doesn't work.

I did try 'wavplay', but that hangs.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

01micko

#173 Post by 01micko »

Well ..

We are having trouble with aplay and wavplay and the signature Puppy 2barks. I converted it to .mp3 format and it plays! Not too bad in mplayer but perfect with mpg321 (in PPM, don't bother with the deps, it works without them).
See attached.
Attachments
2barks.tar.gz
(6.6 KiB) Downloaded 738 times

thunor
Location: Minas Tirith, in the Pelennor Fields fighting the Easterlings

Re: gtkdialog bug fix

#174 Post by thunor »

jamesbond wrote:The line numbers are specific to gtkdialog revision 320 from svn trunk, but if you do a search, you should be able to find the line in other versions too.

File is src/automaton.c, line number 2149
Reverse a and b, from stackelement _sum(stackelement a, stackelement b)
to
stackelement _sum(stackelement b, stackelement a)

gtkdialog will magically display the correct ordering. Do I get a bounty? 8)

Can't help with the keyboard, I don't own a pi.
EDIT: I see from your post that keyboard problem is resolved with a new kernel Image. So two major problems are resolved then.
Fantastic work :)

I've applied this to gtkdialog r321.

I've wrapped it in "#ifdef __arm__" so I'm expecting it to get compiled in ("gcc -x c /dev/null -E -dM" lists the supported preprocessor macros).

Many thanks.

rhadon

#175 Post by rhadon »

I installed mpg321 and it works fine with 2barks.mp3 via HDMI. Via analog (connected to an amp) sometimes it's OK, sometimes there's missing a little bit from the beginning of the first bark.

In delayedrun I replaced

aplay /usr/share/audio/2barks.au
with

mpg321 /usr/share/audio/2barks.mp3
but no barking puppy.

I also have the problem that sometimes x server doesn't restart. I get only a black screen and must power off. I guess, this is more serious.

btw. ctrl+alt+bs doesn't work for me. Is it me or in general?

~Rolf

01micko

#176 Post by 01micko »

The drive icons don't get built when changing icon themes, they get copied but the overlay fails. I tried all icon themes and a custom one I built. Netpbm tools seem to work though, oh, no that routine uses vovchik's app right? Looking in to it.

SOLVED!: just overwrite the exec at /usr/sbin/pngoverlay with the attached

bacon -o -O2 -o -s pngoverlay.bac
Attachments
capture30369.jpg
happy now
(30.41 KiB) Downloaded 2997 times
pngoverlay.tar.bz2
(12.96 KiB) Downloaded 722 times
capture1414.jpg
(37.01 KiB) Downloaded 2853 times

rhadon

#177 Post by rhadon »

Hi, it looks like to be very silent here, these days... :?

Anyway, I try to get picscale working (it doesn't)

The error message:

# picscale -i au.jpg -o test.jpg 128 128 9

(<unknown>:19664): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_scale_simple: assertion `dest_width > 0' failed

(<unknown>:19664): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_rowstride: assertion `GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(<unknown>:19664): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_n_channels: assertion `GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(<unknown>:19664): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_width: assertion `GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(<unknown>:19664): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_height: assertion `GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(<unknown>:19664): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_pixels: assertion `GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed

(<unknown>:19664): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
OOPS.. something terrible happened and test.jpg was not created.
# 
I installed gliv_1.9.6-1 form PPM, "image viewer using gdk-pixbuf and OpenGL". This works, so I guess that gdk-pixbuf is OK.

Similar error messages with scale2jpg (picscale is written in bacon, scale2jpg is C). I tried to compile it on the RasPi with

gcc  -Werror -o scale2jpg scale2jpg.c `pkg-config --libs gdk-pixbuf-2.0 gdk-2.0` `pkg-config --cflags gdk-pixbuf-2.0 gdk-2.0`  -lm 
	strip scale2jpg
based on the makefile, but it makes no difference.

Has anybody any idea, what I could try?
btw. I have a folder /usr/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0, but it's empty.

I really like to get this working, :roll:

Rolf

Edit: Problem solved :D . Digging in Barry's blog was helpful :oops: .

tinker

memory split?

#178 Post by tinker »

The latest recommended debian distribution for the pi comes with four different files in /boot:
arm128_start.elf
arm192_start.elf
arm224_start.elf
start.elf

These determine, somehow, the amount of memory out of the 256MB total that is allocated for regular use, as opposed to graphics use. You copy the desired file over start.elf and reboot, to change the allocation. I think it defaults in this release to 192. I switched to using 224 to get more memory for applications. Top now reports 220,592 kib memory total.

Puppy sap comes with only one file that seems to give a memory split at 128MB, at least that's close to the number reported by top and hardinfo.

Does someone know how to create a "Start" file for puppy that gives applications more memory?

I did check the file sizes on debian versus puppy sap, and they're different. I didn't want to just try one of theirs.

JpDeValen

Wireless USB Dongle

#179 Post by JpDeValen »

Alpha 4 is working all ok with my Logitech KB/mouse and I can surf the internet with my box via ethernet cable.
I have a problem with my Belkin Surf N300 wifi USB dongle plugged on the second USB port of the Pi.
I can see it in the hardware system list but it cannot be set up with the connect box.

The parameters are :

realtek
dev 0x4091264
vendor 0x50d
Product Id 0x2103

Thank you for your help

Jean-Pierre

Montala

Re: Wireless USB Dongle

#180 Post by Montala »

JpDeValen wrote:Alpha 4 is working all ok with my Logitech KB/mouse and I can surf the internet with my box via ethernet cable.
I have a problem with my Belkin Surf N300 wifi USB dongle plugged on the second USB port of the Pi.
I can see it in the hardware system list but it cannot be set up with the connect box.

The parameters are :

realtek
dev 0x4091264
vendor 0x50d
Product Id 0x2103

Thank you for your help

Jean-Pierre
Hi Jean-Pierre,

It is generally accepted that the Raspberry Pi is not really powerful enough, by itself, to 'power'a wi-Fi dongle, and this should therefore really be supplied from a powered USB hub.

You can of course also feed your Pi from this as well, but do make sure that the PSU is something like 2 amps.

You can read a lot more information about peripherals which other users have found to work OK at http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeriphera ... g_USB_Hubs

Hope this helps... and good luck!