Mageia 2-Based Puppies - LAST BETA RELEASE

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Billtoo

Mageia 2 Puppy, Mage and 'qtpuppy'

#101 Post by Billtoo »

When I put a dvd in the drive it doesn't show up on the desktop,
pmount is broken because it won't mount a dvd either, clicking on
preferences or refresh causes pmount to crash.
I can tell vlc to load sr0 and it will play the dvd.
Attachments
vlcscrn.jpg
(81.78 KiB) Downloaded 622 times

scsijon

#102 Post by scsijon »

starting from the 'bottom'

Billtoo:
Pmount problem: not getting that on any box, what happens if you type 'pmount' in a terminal window, any clues?
Also try renaming your savefile with a 'z' on the end and rebooting, to see if it's working or not pre a savefile, then if it's ok, create a new savefile and try again.

peebee & jamesc:
Think / hope, i've part-sorted out missing icons problem after a very late night and an old savefile, they are actually there, it looks like the system is for some reason switching down to 16 colours for icons from 256 colours. I shall be asking barry for help on this one as I have no idea where to start. But that's not explaining why the triangles are appearing instead of the correct set problem, they are the default setting if the wanted icon is not found, that's a path to the set loss / change I think.

Thank you for the delta peebee, I shall incorporate it.

ALL:
I'm considering whether to add another alpha (1.9.85) into the stream, or as was planned go straight to a beta with the possability of a second beta if needed (or if necessary back to alpha as was done to slacko). I have a 'rough' 1.9.84 (running on it now) to sort out the few problems found and add those missing 'bits' and it works, except for one last problem i'm onto now, and a kernel to rebuild, and yes the ext4 setting was missed in it for some reason.

Whatever happens I shall move to a xz instead of the current gzip build (was easier to play inside with) as it saves about 30meg, even with the 'extras' from fixes and the like added.

In other words, is what I have put out there stable and complete enough for me to go up a step for the next 'public build' to beta level, or should we step forward one more alpha step first? I am undecided!

Thoughts and sugestions would be appreciated.

Billtoo

#103 Post by Billtoo »

I made pets of the newest geany text editor in drake03, they also work
in mage2 if anyone would like them.
Attachments
geany.jpg
(28.58 KiB) Downloaded 570 times
geany_DEV-1.22-i686.pet
(98 KiB) Downloaded 301 times

Gnuxo

#104 Post by Gnuxo »

I just noticed that I don't see Razor-qt or eggwm in any of the screenshots?

Are they still going to be added?

scsijon

#105 Post by scsijon »

Gnuxo wrote:I just noticed that I don't see Razor-qt or eggwm in any of the screenshots?

Are they still going to be added?
They are part of qtpuppy :) not Mageia 2 Puppy, which follows the 'Standard Puppy configurations'.

They will 'arrive'; eggwm with it's first, and razorqt/qlwm with the second versions. I need to change and replace a 'few' things around like gstreamer ilo mplayer, a heap of utils and extra libs. and add qt4.8.x first. I've added a note on qtpuppy to the first message on p1 as i've had a 'couple' of pm's on the same basic thread.

Billtoo

#106 Post by Billtoo »

I installed mage2 on a dual core pc and added qt etc
Then installed vlc-2.0.1 that I had compiled on racy 5.3,then added
firmware for the hauppauge 150 card in this pc and rebooted.

I downloaded mageia-2 64 bit and installed it on a quad core
pc,installed vlc-2.0.1 from the package manager,then added the
firmware for the hauppauge 250 card in the quad core and rebooted.

Vlc works great in both the puppy version of mage2 and the 64 bit
mageia-2 official release.

Anyhow, having fun with mage2, finding it very stable apart from a few
missing icons here and there.
Looking forward to the next alpha or beta whichever it may be :)
Attachments
snapshot1.jpg
(124.1 KiB) Downloaded 1181 times
vlcscrn.jpg
(154.29 KiB) Downloaded 1195 times

darkcity

#107 Post by darkcity »

added page about qt on puppy to wiki
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/QTonPuppy

comment corrections below page, or just edit ; -)

scsijon

#108 Post by scsijon »

thanks billtoo for the new geany, I shall use it in the next release. ?missing icons, here and there? ?where, as I thought I had sorted the mageia / puppy icons differances.

thanks darkcity for the wiki page, you might add a note that qt5 is a 'different' beastie to qt3/qt4 which we use, as it's more a cloud application builder base than qt4's workstation/server base.

Can anyone finding / found a problem, list it NOW please, if you haven't already done so! I want to cleanup what there is and have the list now down to five problems left!

Now, I have just built a new 3.3.6 kernel and amongst settings upgraded the processor limit to 16, added pre-emptive settings, usb gadget support (some mobile devices can also use this, but game console 'stuff' uses this), braile support, raid 4,5,6 and raid multicore processing and anti-hang support. Kernel code will be 3.3.6-pfrg-pae-i586 and I shall put the three packages up after testing.

I shall try it on my current test alpha, which is otherwise perfectly stable, and if still so I have decided I will go for a beta release next.

And, oh yes as a note, using xz to build with saves some 35meg in the puppy sfs so it will be used from now on.

Billtoo

#109 Post by Billtoo »

scsijon wrote:thanks billtoo for the new geany, I shall use it in the next release. ?missing icons, here and there? ?where, as I thought I had sorted the mageia / puppy icons differances.
I'm having a problem with hardinfo and pmount.
James C showed a screenshot of hardinfo, same thing here.
Pmount will crash if I click on refresh or preferences, tried it on a
new install,same thing.
Ayttm seems to start working but then just disappears.
Viewnoir won't start.
icons.tar.gz contains screenshots of missing icons that I found as I went
through the menus.

Billtoo

#110 Post by Billtoo »

Gnuxo wrote:I just noticed that I don't see Razor-qt or eggwm in any of the screenshots?
Razor-qt is in ppm, it's working but I doubt that I have it configured correctly, I like icewm better :)
Attachments
razor.jpg
(37.08 KiB) Downloaded 1125 times

scsijon

#111 Post by scsijon »

the razorqt in mageia 2 is for an openbox base (I think it was), you need both mageia package sets and their dependancies to use it and it's also a X11R6 not X11R7 build. It will need quite a few libs we don't use in puppy so won't be a small addition. The version I will be building will be for qlwm on qtpuppy and a lot less dependancies, etc., as we use busybox and not multi-user, etc.

billtoo, you did add the extra link in a reply above/last page and the two extra mageia packages I mentioned in a second, didn't you. :) (dated 19july). Funny thing is that the two packages aren't always needed, it seems to depend on the video driver, but as they are small I shall include anyway by default.

A Ayttm bug is new and hasn't been mentioned before, I shall see if I can duplicate, any extra information please as I don't use it?

New kernel build is !good, and with pre-emptive turned on it is visably faster than the old when making the processor work in a multi-dimensional database, so I will go with it for the future unless problems appear in beta.

I have both a braile and LH keyboards on the way (short term loan only) so I can carry out some basic tests.

Beta 1 (1.9.90) will come out next.

scsijon

#112 Post by scsijon »

Ayttm problem fixed, my bad typing :roll: in a link to link script. It works multiple times for me now anyway!

Everything is now (hopefully) fixed except for a package/lib-locations problem with the difference between puppy and mageia 2, and at present 'mage2' seems to be handling that problem in itself and allowing both to run, so I'm not going to play with it.

Thanks to all the testers, both in this thread and by pm for helping me to achieve this.

Therefore I am immediately declaring a lockdown and will begin building the Mage 2 Beta 1 for internal testing with a public release for testing date of the 1st of August.

See you then!
scsijon
ps, doesn't mean you can't package, comment, complain or come up with ideas to be incorporated in qtpuppy though :wink:

scsijon

#113 Post by scsijon »

I Have found a mplayer problem relating to a number of aussie sites so further releases are on hold for a week until I sort it out.

EDIT: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=80140

was the problem and fix.

EDIT2: 8 Aug: Me and my big mouth, i've broken mplayer's gui 'gmplayer' with my changes. However since mageia 2 doesn't use it under normal conditions, but audio is through gstreamer, i'm awaiting a query against it and depending on the answer i'll beta with or without mplayer as everything else seems to work.

Beta is now due 15Aug.

regards
scsijon

bohocmasni

#114 Post by bohocmasni »

BTW nokia sells qt to digia

scsijon

#115 Post by scsijon »

I take it you mean this post http://blog.qt.nokia.com/2012/08/09/dig ... from-nokia
Digia extends Its commitment to Qt with plans to acquire full Qt software technology and business From Nokia - by Qt Blog Admin on August 9, 2012

Doesn't give a problem as Digia has been working with Nokia for at least the last year on qt, my perspective is that it's just a change of 'leader'.

scsijon

Mage2 1.9.90 Beta1 due 18 August

#116 Post by scsijon »

Beta 1 building is finally underway.

It has a newly built Kernel that includes braile interfaces,usb 'gadget' access, a pre-emptive kernel, multi-core and raid 4 to 6 access for scsi, barcode readers, speach synthesis, backlight and contrast control for lcd screens (a pm request), and is auto 4/64gig selective. You may need to use modprobe to get a driver to work as most are not there by default.

Mplayer has been removed due to considerable problems as Mageia 2 uses gstreamer both for itself and it's version of Mplayer and was having serious library interaction interferance problems with puppy's Mplayer. It looks like it needs a total 'mageia' rebuild, including the associated libs, if anyone wants to tackle it. I might add that we have lost some 9meg on the iso by removing it all, gstreamer looks like adding about 5meg.

The beta1 should be out this coming weekend, after some heavy testing by my local alpha testers, for open testing.

Final release will be a fortnight later if no worrysome problems are found!

regards
scsijon

scsijon

#117 Post by scsijon »

Mage 2 Beta 1 has finally been released after a problem or two, some additional notes can be found at the top of page1 and as promised it has shrunk in size by about 40meg. Hopefully I haven't removed anything anyone needs. It won't shrink much more, if at all, as it does retain what is wanted for a Development System.

So, it's now up to the wider community to test and find problems.

I shall add links for Kernel pets when built and uploaded tonight.

regards
scsijon

bohocmasni

#118 Post by bohocmasni »

it has still lot of missing icons and broken links, and sometimes lies he is wary
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6D1YI-41ao[/url]

scsijon

#119 Post by scsijon »

bohocmasni wrote:it has still lot of missing icons and broken links, and sometimes lies he is wary
bohocmasni, where? I and my local testers are not getting any of these results.

scsijon

#120 Post by scsijon »

Sorry, you'll have to cut and paste if you want these, the bbs doesn't like sfs's.

Code: Select all

It has a new kernel build in case anyone else wants to try it or needs the sources for a dev build.

The Kernel Sources are found here:-http://www.lamiaworks.com.au/puppy/mage2/kernel/kernel_sources-3.3.6-mage2-p64gsw-i586.sfs .

The Kernel Headers:-http://www.lamiaworks.com.au/puppy/mage2/kernel/kernel_headers-3.3.6-mage2-p64gsw-i586.pet .

The Kernel Itself:-http://www.lamiaworks.com.au/puppy/mage2/kernel/linux_kernel-3.3.6-mage2-p64gsw-i586.pet.
Remember that you need to use a aufs-3 to compile, it's mentioned earlier with a link, and is on my site.