Slacko 5.3.3 bug reports and feedback

Please post any bugs you have found
mikeybaby72

Update from Slacko 5.3.1

#81 Post by mikeybaby72 »

I tried the live cd and love this release, but when I upgraded the savefile on my Acer 5315 from 5.3.1 to 5.3.3 and manually installed the rest of the files for HDD (frugal) - upon 2nd reboot PPM had died? I click on PPM and I just get a yellow text spash that is far too quick to read and then...nothing? Have tried doing 'simulated upgrade' at bootup but problem still persists.

Help! I have important data in my savefile, so can't just kill it and start again. :(

Otherwise = fantastic release! :D

PS. Can't seem to find anyone else who's had this problem and IRC channel is dead(?) :?:
Adopt a Puppy TODAY - they are Man's best friend! :D

Currently researching "Linux on Android project" - wanting to compile a Puppy to run in my hand on my Droid ... This has always been a dream of mine. ;-)

bigpup

#82 Post by bigpup »

mikeybaby72,
How did you do the save file upgrade?
Be specific what you did.
I click on PPM and I just get a yellow text spash that is far too quick to read and then...nothing?
In the console
Type ppm
Hit enter.
What errors do you see?
Help! I have important data in my savefile, so can't just kill it and start again.
Can you not see any of these files in Rox file manager?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

01micko

#83 Post by 01micko »

There is a bug with PPM, see the first post for a link to the fix.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

mikeybaby72

#84 Post by mikeybaby72 »

bigpup wrote:mikeybaby72,
How did you do the save file upgrade?
Be specific what you did.
I click on PPM and I just get a yellow text spash that is far too quick to read and then...nothing?
In the console
Type ppm
Hit enter.
What errors do you see?
Help! I have important data in my savefile, so can't just kill it and start again.
Can you not see any of these files in Rox file manager?
Sorry bigpup - I will be more specific in future (I wrote that post in a bit of a panic) normal reasoning has been resumed! 8)

My upgrade process went as follows - I booted the live CD to give it a test run on that machine, everything went fine and I was very impressed. So I rebooted 5.3.3 cd into pupmode 05 so as not to mount the 5.3.1 savefile on my hdd - then copied the kernel image, initrd.gz files and then moved the old puppy_slacko_5.3.1.sfs file to a backup and copied the new puppy_slacko_5.3.3.sfs file into hdd in frugal Slacko directory, then I changed the menu.lst file in my hdd GRUB install and then just renamed the sub directory in root of my 'kennels' partition.

Then just shutdown without saving and ejected cd, then rebooted into slacko (5.3.3) and run the upgrade from boot prompt. EVERYTHING worked fine, EVEN ppm UNTIL I clicked Update PPM in Slickpet - then next time I clicked on PPM I had the above error in last post(?) I tried re-booting - still same problem, tried re-updating PPM - still same problem. I tried everything I could think of = nothing - same problem.

Thanks for your help - I found your reply this morning on my Droid so couldn't get my hands on 5315 to boot puppy and run the terminal. I have just fixed it using 01micko's patch - sorry for not being able to post results from terminal. :oops:

Thanks to 01micko for one of the best pups yet! :wink:

PS. I couldn't find my personal files in the backup of my original savefile - but have now restored and run the patch and everything is there :?: :!:

I have 7 puppies/puplets frugally installed on that laptop and Mint DE as well as two 'other' OSs (both are M$) and I've not had any problems with doing manual upgrades before.

I guess that although I've been using puppy since v3.1 - I STILL have a lot to learn about keeping dogs! :D
----------------
Now playing: Progressive Full On Goa Trance Mix 2 2012 - YouTube
via FoxyTunes
Adopt a Puppy TODAY - they are Man's best friend! :D

Currently researching "Linux on Android project" - wanting to compile a Puppy to run in my hand on my Droid ... This has always been a dream of mine. ;-)

01micko

#85 Post by 01micko »

I have made available 2 reasonably critical updates

1) aufs-utils, bugfix, : bug - fail to mount a directory as a branch

2) seamonkey-2.10.1-slacko, latest release, see the release notes (compiled in Slacko)

Both available in the main post

Billtoo

#86 Post by Billtoo »

01micko wrote:I have made available 2 reasonably critical updates

1) aufs-utils, bugfix, : bug - fail to mount a directory as a branch
I installed this pet in fatslacko and now games work, nexuiz,sauerbraten, etc, think I'll try it in racy and a few others.
EDIT: I guess games were working all along in fatslacko, I installed the pet in slacko 533 and it didn't fix openarena, but sauerbraten works, don't think it did before.
Last edited by Billtoo on Sun 24 Jun 2012, 14:26, edited 1 time in total.

ETP

Whiff in the air

#87 Post by ETP »

01micko
Spotted in the Slacko kennel today. Is there something afoot ?
Attachments
screenshot.48.png
(1.66 KiB) Downloaded 1253 times
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

01micko

Re: Whiff in the air

#88 Post by 01micko »

ETP wrote:01micko
Spotted in the Slacko kennel today. Is there something afoot ?
um... :roll: .. maybe :lol:

01micko

#89 Post by 01micko »

Billtoo wrote: EDIT: I guess games were working all along in fatslacko, I installed the pet in slacko 533 and it didn't fix openarena, but sauerbraten works, don't think it did before.
That would indicate your card (or game) requires Mesa. Install that before the proprietary driver.

mikkelart

#90 Post by mikkelart »

When shutting down or rebooting slacko 5.3.3 after first boot it hangs at "Putty linux is shutting down..." and i have to use the powerbutton to power off.

This happens both when saving and not saving to usb, or even using a liveCD. When saving to usb the saved filesystem i ruined when trying to boot again.

I've tried both the 4g and highmem iso, but no difference.

Computer specs:
Processor: IntelCore i7-2670QM @ 2.20GHz
Memory: 8GB
Graphic: Gforce GTX 560M
Wifi: Atheros Ar9300 Driver: ath9k
USB: 2GB

SOLVED using puppy acpi=off
Last edited by mikkelart on Mon 16 Jul 2012, 15:27, edited 1 time in total.

kommisar

Not letting me make the choice to save

#91 Post by kommisar »

I'm booting a vanilla slacko 5.33 frugal install off a usb stick. When I shut down, I'm not given the choice to save back to usb stick. Apparently it just saves without any input from me because changes do persist across a reboot. When I reboot I get an window that says x was not shut down properly and choices to ignore or go to the command line. Any ideas?

bigpup

#92 Post by bigpup »

How did you do the install to USB stick?
When I shut down, I'm not given the choice to save back to usb stick. Apparently it just saves without any input from me because changes do persist across a reboot.
That is normal operation after making the save file and rebooting.
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#93 Post by bigpup »

mikkelart wrote:When shutting down or rebooting slacko 5.3.3 after first boot it hangs at "Putty linux is shutting down..." and i have to use the powerbutton to power off.

This happens both when saving and not saving to usb, or even using a liveCD. When saving to usb the saved filesystem i ruined when trying to boot again.

I've tried both the 4g and highmem iso, but no difference.

Computer specs:
Processor: IntelCore i7-2670QM @ 2.20GHz
Memory: 8GB
Graphic: Gforce GTX 560M
Wifi: Atheros Ar9300 Driver: ath9k
USB: 2GB
Try this just to see if it has an affect.
Boot with the Slacko live CD.
Use boot option puppy acpi=off
YaPI(any iso installer)

kevin bowers

Mesa driver won't install on Slacko PAE

#94 Post by kevin bowers »

Just did a full install of Slacko 533 on a brand-new i3 system with 8GB RAM, so I used the PAE kernel. Slickpet recommended the mesa driver and downloaded it but it simply won't install. Just a guess, the driver needs to be compiled in this kernel? I'm not sure my abilities are up to it. Volunteers?

01micko

Re: Mesa driver won't install on Slacko PAE

#95 Post by 01micko »

kevin bowers wrote:Just did a full install of Slacko 533 on a brand-new i3 system with 8GB RAM, so I used the PAE kernel. Slickpet recommended the mesa driver and downloaded it but it simply won't install. Just a guess, the driver needs to be compiled in this kernel? I'm not sure my abilities are up to it. Volunteers?
Mesa is not kernel dependent.

I first learned of mesa not installing a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately I haven't been able to upload to ibiblio for a couple of weeks, ok now though so I am re-uploading mesa. It's the same package but there must have been some corruption in the original upload. I just tested the package on a new install and it works.

Please try again soon, (wait a bit for the mirrors).

ryanvade

Slacko 5.3.3 bug reports and feedback

#96 Post by ryanvade »

just installed. rebooted and puppy manager won't start.

kevin bowers

Re: Mesa driver won't install on Slacko PAE

#97 Post by kevin bowers »

01micko wrote:
kevin bowers wrote:Just did a full install of Slacko 533 on a brand-new i3 system with 8GB RAM, so I used the PAE kernel. Slickpet recommended the mesa driver and downloaded it but it simply won't install. Just a guess, the driver needs to be compiled in this kernel? I'm not sure my abilities are up to it. Volunteers?
Mesa is not kernel dependent.

I first learned of mesa not installing a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately I haven't been able to upload to ibiblio for a couple of weeks, ok now though so I am re-uploading mesa. It's the same package but there must have been some corruption in the original upload. I just tested the package on a new install and it works.

Please try again soon, (wait a bit for the mirrors).
Downloaded & installed without problems. Thanks!

don570

puppy clock

#98 Post by don570 »

Puppy clock in slacko
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=73168

I tested new version of puppy clock in slacko and
it works well

kevin bowers

WinTV card working in Slacko

#99 Post by kevin bowers »

With a lot of help I've gotten GMPlayer to play live TV under Slacko. You need:
--supported TV tuner card (mine is Hauppauge WinTV1850)
--dotpet from http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Multimedia/Mp ... -1.1.1.pet
--Wouldn't hurt to read Paulski's post where I got most of this: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=36672
Install the .pet, then go to /root/my-applications and read the readmes. Open a terminal there, and depending on where you are and what hardware you have, scan your channels. In the US:

Code: Select all

scan us-ATSC-center-frequencies-8VSB | tee channels.conf
. This will create channels.conf in the same directory; copy that to /root/.mplayer (note: this does not exist until GMPlayer has been run and shut down once). At this point (and after installing the .pet) I rebooted; don't know if it was necessary, but it didn't hurt anything. Open GMPlayer (desktop "play" icon), click file>TV>open digital TV. The >| and |< buttons change channels, or view>playlist and double-click the channel you want. Happy couch-potato-ing!
Edit: After hooking up to a good antenna and re-scanning, GMPlayer started crashing. I had too many channels! Opened channels.conf as text and pruned several lines (channels I didn't want), that fixed it. Does GMPlayer have a limit on size of playlist, around 35 or 40 items?

bigpup

Re: Slacko 5.3.3 bug reports and feedback

#100 Post by bigpup »

ryanvade wrote:just installed. rebooted and puppy manager won't start.
I assume you are talking about Puppy Package Manager?
Install this bug fix.
Slacko 5.3.3 PPM bug fix
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 479#626479
YaPI(any iso installer)