• LibreOffice/OpenOffice.org
  • VLC multimedia player
  • Filezilla
  • K3b
  • GIMP
  • Ubuntu Software Centre.
  • Rhythmbox
  • The KGpg front end for security keys
All in a single distro. But, they didn't mention the one (reading between the lines)

FYI

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Top 10 packages by what measure, number of times downloaded? Rating by users? Independent rating agency? :lol:

DaveS

#3 Post by DaveS »

Might be interesting to try to encourage users to post a list of 'must have' packages that they always install on any new Puppy. Would help to give devs an idea of what to include by default.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Makoto

#4 Post by Makoto »

Other than the relevant devx, you mean? :D

(Seriously, though, has anyone ever created a derivative with the devx already included/integrated? Just curious.)
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

Puppyt

#5 Post by Puppyt »

Makoto wrote:Other than the relevant devx, you mean? :D

(Seriously, though, has anyone ever created a derivative with the devx already included/integrated? Just curious.)
I think jafadmin has generated such a beastie here - http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 800#641800 - but as it's Not For Numpties, I can't be sure ;)
Search engines for Puppy
[url]http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html[/url]; [url=https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643981050743583%3Aabvzbibgzxo&q=#gsc.tab=0]Google Custom Search[/url]; [url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url] others TBA...

Ray MK

#6 Post by Ray MK »

Hi

No: 1 - must have for me is gatotray.

It provides cpu and temp info - in the tray.

Very useful.
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#7 Post by Lobster »

DaveS wrote:Might be interesting to try to encourage users to post a list of 'must have' packages that they always install on any new Puppy. Would help to give devs an idea of what to include by default.
Probably the only thing I have to install is
lastpass
https://lastpass.com/

I may soon after installing need

transmission
xaralx
devx
VLC
openshot
Libreoffice

I may need them, I may not . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

darkcity

#8 Post by darkcity »

packages are both useful and not useful.

stu90

#9 Post by stu90 »

I don't install to many .pets

Openbox - window manager
Tint2 - panel
Rox Icon - change rox-fller toolbar icons

Other than the above i just have a directory of various scripts and configs i copy from pup to pup.

L18L

#10 Post by L18L »

No need to install the same to each puppy I am using
My top 5: (no pets :lol: )

# ls /mnt/home/opt
Adobe firefox jdk1.7.0_03 lampp libreoffice3.5
#

gcmartin

My TOPs is based upon an enriched, complete, Puppy packaging

#11 Post by gcmartin »

One member requests that we share packages that we add when we set up a Puppy.

I am a proponent of Puppy for every user I assist who is willing to step out of the Windows framework into a Linux Framework. To make their lives as easiest as possible, I stay with the out-of-the-box (OOTB) distros which matches Microsoft and has most/all of their needs for use.

For a personal preference, I install LightHouse64 Mariner OOTB, FATSlacko OOTB, and PUPPY Libre-Full distro where I add SAMBA.

I alway add DPUP5520's AngryIP, and Flash tools for LAN searches, management, and understanding, as well as internet multimedia needs.

I don't do this because I have any fondness for the distros, as I am addressing a Windows replacement OOTB experience where the people who use the distro, can use the Puppy forum thread as a place for support and assistance should they need.

Here to help
Last edited by gcmartin on Thu 26 Jul 2012, 15:04, edited 1 time in total.

Monsie

Top 10 Packages

#12 Post by Monsie »

Some so called "must have" packages are important not because of their popularity, but because they are needed dependencies. My experience at times is that some of these are hard to find... for example: when I had to find all of the packages for putting together Namebench. While I do appreciate that some members kindly host sites for additional software, there have been times when I've had to spend considerable time searching the Forum to find exactly what I needed.

This begs the question (for me) about the need to update the existing repos and/or the need to create a community repository.... a kind of centralized "one-stop shopping experience" that will ease the burden of searching, searching, searching...

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

Aitch

#13 Post by Aitch »

This begs the question (for me) about the need to update the existing repos and/or the need to create a community repository.... a kind of centralized "one-stop shopping experience" that will ease the burden of searching, searching, searching...
+1, +1, +1

like it!

Aitch :)

jamesbond

#14 Post by jamesbond »

Aitch wrote:
+1, +1, +1

like it!

Aitch :)
Wishful thinking. Casting +1000 votes won't make it happen. We can't even resolve this: Server Space for BarryK.

I'll say something that everyone knows but unwilling to admit: It takes $$$ to make this happen. While I'm grateful for all personal contributions so far (John Murga especially), we have to realise that unless one is extremely rich and philanthropist enough to contribute to the cause, this won't ever happen. We have to pool our resources, but apparently the Do-ocracy doesn't work when (spending) money is involved. :twisted: Question: Who is willing to cast the first coin?

It takes $$$ to run an App Store (or a proper package repository), even if all the apps are free.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Monsie

TOP 10 Packages

#15 Post by Monsie »

jamesbond wrote:Wishful thinking. Casting +1000 votes won't make it happen. We can't even resolve this: Server Space for BarryK.

I'll say something that everyone knows but unwilling to admit: It takes $$$ to make this happen. While I'm grateful for all personal contributions so far (John Murga especially), we have to realise that unless one is extremely rich and philanthropist enough to contribute to the cause, this won't ever happen. We have to pool our resources, but apparently the Do-ocracy doesn't work when (spending) money is involved. :twisted: Question: Who is willing to cast the first coin?

It takes $$$ to run an App Store (or a proper package repository), even if all the apps are free.
So, about how much money would it take to make this happen? I have no clue, really, as I'm sure that the costs would vary greatly depending on the level of service provided.

I made a quick search for software repositories, and this site came up first on the list. There is a cost involved, but I couldn't find specific information on this, and I suspect one would have to make further inquiries. Not only that, but I'm not sure if we would qualify... Is Puppy Linux an institution :?: We do have Puppy School thanks to Lobster. 8)

Seriously, if we could determine some basic costs, then we might be able to work out some kind of funding formula. Off the top of my head, for example, one could charge each user a basic subscription fee to use such Community Repository, or, provide this service through the sales of a custom made CD/DVD. Each custom disk could include a selection of "must have" software to compliment the installation files for the particular breed of Puppy. These "must have" packages would be those developed by the Community, and therefore would be extra or in addition to what is available through Puppy Package Manager.

Down the road... the volume of brisk sales re: custom Puppy Linux media generates enough revenue to provide members free access to the Community Repository... :D

Just some food for thought,
Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

jamesbond

#16 Post by jamesbond »

Hmmm ... 10 days passed and only one response? :lol:
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

gcmartin

#17 Post by gcmartin »

Couple of items where I think I personally can help.

To begin, our world (like it or not) is moving to a "cloudy" one. We must understand this as we move forward.

Next, we must get out of the mode that small is somehow beneficial. The manufacturers, OS vendors (including LInux), and Telco/cable has already solved that problem for us. Small is and never was a good thing. Functionality is what the industry has always strived for. NOT SMALL!!!

And, we must get out of the mode of focusing on vendor or enterprise products are good or bad. Puppy has a unique set of strengths and all focus should be on that. And if a vendor or enterprise produces something useful in the public domain, we should evaluate it for its merits.

Lastly, we must understand the world (and stop being so stuck in times past) as we, too, must migrate as the signs of technology moves. Emotions have NO BASIS in a technical world. Technologies like JAVA (cross-platform application benefits!), HTML5, multimedia codecs, SAMBA, etc should be part-parcel to making the user experience a complete one, as much as is reasonable and possible. We are no longer in just a simple Internet experience where we ignore technology for small-emotional reasons.

JamesBond shares some very good pointers for us. It does take money. But, also, it takes resourcefulness (and this community has a handy helping of that and it takes money.)

For the community, I have done as best I could to let everyone know that their GoogleID provides them resources that does NOT require money. Further, I have made attempts to contact BarryK to extend an offer to help but no response.

I recently have seen 3 interviews of this industry's top executives. Each talks about the future in ways where it is now public...where 3 months ago, this was confidential information. The crystal ball has been opened for all to see.

Please, acknowledge the world around us, as we pursue the excellence we are very good at.

Should there be more, PM me. or post here.

Here to help.

Monsie

Top 10 Packages

#18 Post by Monsie »

Hi all,

I did some more searching... Did you know there is a Puppy Linux community repo ... I found it at Sourceforge right here and it looks like this project was created about four years ago by either forum members hairywill and/or pizzasgood.
Description

The Puppy Linux community repo currently aims to provide all the tools to build the base of a puppylinux release from community efforts. The base will then be expanded with further capabilities to replicate the features of past PuppyLinux releases
This project does not appear to be very active. I am wondering about the idea of e-mailing the contact person to find out more information about this project:
  • How much storage is available?
    What is the cost, if any?
    Would the developer(s) be receptive to expanding the purpose and mandate of the project to include our (Discussion Forum) community?
    Would this setup suit our needs or do we need to look elsewhere?
    Can there be two Puppy Linux community repos -- i.e. with the same name?
Those are just a few initial questions that come to mind. I know there are other important questions that will arise too. That said, I want some feedback on this please. While I'm interested in pursuing this further, I don't know the history of this project, and there might be some good reasons to look elsewhere instead. Apart from that, while there has been some positive response to the idea of setting up a Community Repository, I would still like to hear from others to try to get a sense of Community support. Do I need to hold a vote? No, not at this point, but I am interested in getting a sense of whether we as a Community will not only "talk the talk, but also walk the walk". If I do look into this matter further, I want to do so under the umbrella of collaboration... which implies a teamwork approach, because I really believe this would be best given what we might accomplish here...

Monsie

Ray MK

#19 Post by Ray MK »

Never seen this before - I've got 4yrs worth of Puppy ISO's and Apps - stored on a 1TB usb drive.

I would love to be able to upload and share them - but would that cause a usage problem?

Don't know how to upload anyway - but it would be nice to have a One Stop Shop - for all things Puppy.
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

cthisbear

#20 Post by cthisbear »

Ray MK:

Upload some here.
I have some myself.

http://www.4shared.com/

Just signup...answer your email ...and you are ready to go.

""""""""

" Why do I need to sign up?

To use our service, we require you to create an account and
set up your virtual drive. This allows you access to your files
from any laptop or PC connected to the Internet, just by entering
your email and password.
Your files are kept safe within your account until you decide to
share them.

Registration is free, easy, and takes seconds to complete.
There’s no need to enter your credit card details.

What is 4shared account verification?

Once you have signed up for a 4shared account, you
need to verify it prior to getting access to 4shared services
and features.

Why do I need to verify my 4shared account?

Account verification confirms that the particular e-mail address,
which you have entered while creating an account,
is your actual e-mail address and ensures that you have
access to it.

Only verified users can access their 4shared accounts,
share and download files and folders, preview files,
leave comments to files, or use other essential features
of the service.

etc...etc

http://www.4shared.com/faq.jsp

" How long are my files stored?

Your free account and all your files will only be removed from
4shared if you don’t log into your account for 180 days.

Are there any limitations on the number of files, or size limit on files
that can be uploaded per user?

You may upload as many files as you like, but they must fit within
your virtual drive space.
The space limit is 15 GB per account.

Currently 4shared sets a 2048 MB size limitation per file.
Your files must not exceed the limit, or they will be rejected.

If the size of a file is more than 2048 MB, you can split the file
into smaller parts and upload them separately using the
Multi-upload feature.

Are there any bandwidth limitations?

There are no restrictions on the amount of data that can be
transferred. You can upload and download files that don’t
exceed the size of your account space.

"""""

Try it.
As a test upload some smaller, obscure but useful files.

Check your Internet provider is not hammering you
with any uploading fees etc...

and if everything is Hunky Dory
keep uploading a bit at a time.

Chris.