Have more than 3GB of RAM? You need one of these Puppies

Using applications, configuring, problems
gcmartin

Have more than 3GB of RAM? You need one of these Puppies

#1 Post by gcmartin »

Many may not understand what these 6 distros do, compared to what other 32bit PUPs don't do. Simple, "SCALE". Now what does scale mean???
Explanation
Up until these PUPs came onto the Puppy scene, ALL 32bit PUPs could NOT take advantage of PC with more that 3.5GB of RAM. PUPs simply were NOT capable of using it. These 3 allow Linux to "scale" to the size of your system without impacting performance. in fact, all signs thus far show a significant increase in desktop performance for all applications. This leads to a much greater and happier user experience than was previously capable.

Since machine purchases today have 4GB of memory or more; And, older PCs users have already added 4GB+ to even old P4 systems, a need existed to allow PUPs to take advantage of all memory of the PCs.

So, these Puppy community leaders (leaders because they have provided enhancements which has provided improved performance and will take advantage of all of your memory, no matter what size PC you have, today.) on their own time and using their personal wealth for us, have donated new distros for our use. They spared no expense.

Their solutions show 2 major things
  1. having a PUP which takes advantage of your PCs features is obtainable
  2. a significant speed increase results from using existing CPU advances via these new distros
The Puppy distros mentioned above will run speedily on ALL PCs with 512MB or more of RAM. So no matter how much more RAM you have, these will insure availability to your applications in Puppy of ALL of it. Everyone, can breathe renewed life in 32bit PCs by just adding memory. And the Puppy development community does NOT have its hands tied in the RAM needed for its program operations.

For 32bit Intels-AMDs-Vias, "Having a Puppy which can run all the way to 64GB is like moving it out of a cage into a Stadium to play in." Wow

We should all bow in a "moment of silence" to show our appreciation to these brave astronauts for guiding us here. And, we should continue to help future endeavors in whatever manner you can.
Last edited by gcmartin on Sat 08 Oct 2011, 20:33, edited 24 times in total.

p310don

#2 Post by p310don »

Found another one gcmartin.

Stu90 has added pemasu's kernel to his lucid lite. It is available here http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 308#519308

I haven't been able to keep track of all the development that pemasu and other's have done, but it appears that the use of highmem / hugemem kernels is not creating any deal breaker issues for new hardware. I'm glad to see this implementation is getting realised after the discussions from a few months ago. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=65787

This is a great reflection on the puppy community. An issue was identified, assessed and addressed, and is now being implemented in a few pups with success, all in just shy of two months.

How good is puppy, and the guys and girls on this forum!

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

We should all bow in a "moment of silence" to show our appreciation to these brave astronauts for guiding us here.

Also Fatdog (more ram + 64bit CPU required)
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... atdog/web/

the next Alpha of 5.3 should be out today - that also will be supporting
64bit (eventually) and more memory, with a very up to date 'leet' kernel
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Puppy53

Puppy Linux
OS from OZ
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

gcmartin

#4 Post by gcmartin »

Lobster wrote:the next Alpha of 5.3 should be out today - that also will be supporting 64bit (eventually) and more memory, with a very up to date 'leet' kernel
@Lobster does that version utilize 4GB RAM and larger on 32bit PCs? I sent 01micko a PM on this, but did not get any reply about SPUP directions.

Could it be you are announcing something that is not apparent on your 5.3 site? And, could you explain the "leet" meaning?
Thanks in advance

pemasu

#5 Post by pemasu »

Gcmartin. Could you fix your announcement for Ice Puppy. It is really Lucid 511 woof build with a lot packages from 520 and 525 also and it uses 16.4.2011 woof atm. Kernel is now 2.6.38.4 lupe20.
It is made with newer woof than Lucid 525.

So it has gone long way from Lucid 511 but has nothing to do with Wary build except using quite latest woof installed scripts and Barrys Puppy stuff.

SimpleWater

#6 Post by SimpleWater »

Thanks for posting. I didnt' know puppy had hardware limitations. Keep up the good work developers.

disciple

#7 Post by disciple »

SimpleWater wrote:Thanks for posting. I didnt' know puppy had hardware limitations. Keep up the good work developers.
Calling that a "hardware limitation" could potentially mislead people . A normal Puppy still works fine if you have more than 3GB ram - it just doesn't use more than 3GB.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

SimpleWater

#8 Post by SimpleWater »

disciple wrote: Calling that a "hardware limitation" could potentially mislead people . A normal Puppy still works fine if you have more than 3GB ram - it just doesn't use more than 3GB.
apologies. Indeed that was unfair terminology, i will be more careful

Aitch

#9 Post by Aitch »

gcmartin

Can you transfer this info and any updates to puppylinux.info, please,
[maybe abbreviate title a bit?]
big_bass has written a file transfer tool to assist

http://puppylinux.info/topic.php?id=174#post-1592

thanks

Aitch :)

soundNICK

Re: Have more than 3GB of RAM? You need one of these Puppies

#10 Post by soundNICK »

[quote="gcmartin".[/quote] <major snip>

this is refreshing... to see puppylinux adapting to mega-ram machines...

I wonder, is there a similar effort in puppylinux to accomodate
multiple cores ?

If I have a dual core, is puppylinux using them ?

thanks

Karl Godt

#11 Post by Karl Godt »

soundNICK wrote:[quote="gcmartin".
<major snip>

this is refreshing... to see puppylinux adapting to mega-ram machines...

I wonder, is there a similar effort in puppylinux to accomodate
multiple cores ?

If I have a dual core, is puppylinux using them ?

thanks
[/quote]

YES if the kernel is compiled as smp kernel .

The Lupu/luci 2.6.33.2 kernel should work . Don't really know for the Hyper Threading parts .

You can try cpufrequency scaling if you find the .pet somewhere .
Attachments
intel-core-duo.png
on Dell Optiplex 755 , have to recompile xosview .
(59.86 KiB) Downloaded 8372 times

soundNICK

#12 Post by soundNICK »

Karl Godt wrote:
soundNICK wrote:[quote="gcmartin".

YES if the kernel is compiled as smp kernel .

The Lupu/luci 2.6.33.2 kernel should work . Don't really know for the Hyper Threading parts .

You can try cpufrequency scaling if you find the .pet somewhere .
ooo very nice... thanks 2nd time today, Karl Godt, for your replies

gcmartin

32bit PUPs which Use ALL Hyperthreading and ALL RAM you have

#13 Post by gcmartin »

I think FATSlacko and RACY take advantage of BOTH all the Hyperthreading and RAM one can throw at them.

Hope this helps

soundNICK

Re: 32bit PUPs which Use ALL Hyperthreading and ALL RAM you have

#14 Post by soundNICK »

gcmartin wrote:I think FATSlacko and RACY take advantage of BOTH all the Hyperthreading and RAM one can throw at them.

Hope this helps
just downloaded FatSlacko... from CD, everything works fine... I dont
know what to look for to check ram / core use, but FatSlacko is such
a nice package... thanks for the suggestion !

soundNICK

gcmartin

Re: 32bit PUPs which Use ALL Hyperthreading and ALL RAM you have

#15 Post by gcmartin »

soundNICK wrote:Just downloaded FatSlacko... from CD, everything works fine... I dont know what to look for to check ram / core use, but FatSlacko is such a nice package...
All 64bit OSes are designed to handle all of your RAM. With 32bit distros, it depends on whether the author builds the distro for use with 99% of all PC since 1995 OR NOT. (there are some PCs that do NOT have the hardware feature for using RAM over 3.4GB. RAM.)

Hope this helps

tlchost

Large Drives

#16 Post by tlchost »

It would be beneficial to know which of the distros that handle memory > 4 gigs can see drives of 2 tb and greater. Seems to me that as memory and drive prices go down....boxes with lots of memory and big drives will be very common.

Thom

Karl Godt

Re: Large Drives

#17 Post by Karl Godt »

tlchost wrote:It would be beneficial to know which of the distros that handle memory > 4 gigs can see drives of 2 tb and greater. Seems to me that as memory and drive prices go down....boxes with lots of memory and big drives will be very common.

Thom
The most developers have not much liquidity flow here compared to many users .

Iguleder once made good tutorials about kernel compiling . Kernel actually is easy compared to Xorg .

My latest HDD became 500GB .

HTH

Sylvander

#18 Post by Sylvander »

I recently bought a brand-new 64-bit PC that includes 4GB of RAM, and I have another 4GB of ram sitting spare/unused.
But it seems that the Puppies I'm using [only FatDog64 is 64-bit] typically use only a tiny proportion of the available RAM, and CPU capability.

Seems pointless to aditionally install the spare 4GB of RAM.

tlchost

#19 Post by tlchost »

Sylvander wrote: But it seems that the Puppies I'm using [only FatDog64 is 64-bit] typically use only a tiny proportion of the available RAM, and CPU capability.

Seems pointless to aditionally install the spare 4GB of RAM.
Having a 2 TB drive and not having the OS see it, as is the case with many puppies, is disappointing.

Racy sees the memory and the drive...so that is a start. Slacko sees the drive and not the memory. Both see the network, video and sound.

As I recall, fatdog64 sees neighter the drive or the lerge memory...so it is of little use to me.

gcmartin

#20 Post by gcmartin »

Sylvander wrote:I recently ... additionally install the spare 4GB of RAM.
Puppy Linux is one of the rare breeds of Linux (maybe not so rare) which can be used as a RAM based OS. This means that all subsystems exist and based in RAM versus on HDD/USB based.

What PUPPY does essentially is to take your RAM for something that looks like a "real" hard-drive. (Actually, there's a little more to it than that, but you get the idea)

Since everything is in RAM, there is NO NEED for any other media for your operation. And, YES, operationally, the core of your system at initial desktop and most normal operations never approaches consumption of all of your RAM as it carries out Linux operations you use. This really does "LOOK" like a real HDD in the Puppy tables.

There easiest advantage that anyone of us can see, is when you download a file to your root (or spot) folder. If you open ROX to root, you will see your download. And if you use Puppy tools, you will see that your memory use has gone up by the size of the download. (Use FREE command). Again, this assumes you are running Puppy in its native RAM mode from the ISO.

I have, at times, used all of the RAM on an 8GB RAM system with the various things I do where Puppy's filesystem is in RAM. I run a large 8GB Swap file and the free command shows me Puppy filesystem (RAM based) usage. And, the more RAM I have on my system, the bigger the RAM based filesystem is for my storage needs and system executions.

The excess RAM usage is a great as it affords your Linux to access files, folders, programs, and storage a break-neck speeds versus the VEERRRY SLLOOOOOWWW speed of HDD/USB.

There are other members who would describe this a little differently.

Hope this is a simple easily understood explanation.

If not, post back and Iwe'll get a little more technical.

Here to help

Edited: Puppy Linux, in my experience does NOT cripple in any way anyone's need or use of standard, direct HDDs/USBs (If you run RAID or LVM, this is a "yet to be addressed" problem). All PUPs I have encountered over the years either have icons available for click-mounts or couple PUPs even have gone so far as to mount my drives at boot for me.
Last edited by gcmartin on Fri 24 Aug 2012, 20:38, edited 2 times in total.