about this md5sum, and burning the CD

Booting, installing, newbie
Shep

about this md5sum, and burning the CD

#1 Post by Shep »

A few questions on the md5sum…

The md5sum of my Puppy ChekMate iso file doesn't agree with the published md5sum. Should they agree?

Okay, so I know the published md5sum definitely can be related to the burnt CD, so I'll see how they compare after I burn the disc ...

Decided to try one of these RW mini-DVDs, but Dpup Exprimo (my working dog) crashed during the final after-the-main-burn stage (I'd guess that's the fixate stage). Okay, so I tried again, but this time burnt it so it didn´t fixate. Puppy gave two woofs Image when it finished the burn.

But still the md5sums didn´t agree. Now, this brought to mind a point which I vaguely recall from some years back, that you can´t compare the md5sum of a non-fixated CD with the published md5sum. Does that sound right?

Is there any way I can be sure I have a DVD with no errors? The PC boots from the disc, and programs run, but it seems disappointingly slow compared with Exprimo.

zigbert

#2 Post by zigbert »

Now, this brought to mind a point which I vaguely recall from some years back, that you can´t compare the md5sum of a non-fixated CD with the published md5sum
If fixating means the same as closing the disc for further burning, the answer is yes. - or no....

The command 'md5sum' itself can't compare an iso-image and a disc burnt multisession (open disc). But both Burniso2CD and Pburn can check the md5sum of an iso burnt multisession using some more commands. This is an option you get right after burning is complete.

Sigmund

Shep

#3 Post by Shep »

zigbert wrote:The command 'md5sum' itself can't compare an iso-image and a disc burnt multisession (open disc). But both Burniso2CD and Pburn can check the md5sum of an iso burnt multisession using some more commands. This is an option you get right after burning is complete.

Sigmund
You were quick off the mark with your reply. :)

Yes, I noted what BurnISO2CD gave as the md5sum, and it did not correspond with the published one.

zigbert

#5 Post by zigbert »

Shep wrote:Yes, I noted what BurnISO2CD gave as the md5sum, and it did not correspond with the published one.
I don't know Borniso2CD well, but if you find pBurn to fail with md5sum, I really want to know.

Thank you
Sigmund

Shep

Re: about this md5sum, and burning the CD

#6 Post by Shep »

Shep wrote:The md5sum of my Puppy ChekMate iso file doesn't agree with the published md5sum. Should they agree?
For the benefit of anyone reading this thread, yes, the md5sum of the iso file downloaded to your HD before burning should agree with the md5sum of the CD after burning. In a terminal, you can find these with, respectively, md5sum filename.iso and md5sum /dev/sr0 (where sr0 happens to be my CD drive).

If these don't agree with the published md5sum, something is wrong.

01micko

#7 Post by 01micko »

Just a way to cross check..

You could mount the known good iso image from your hard, get the checksum of the main sfs, zdrv (if existing), vmlinuz and initrd.gz, then mount the CD or DVD and do the same for the individual files on the medium and compare. Yes some farting about but it would give peace of mind.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access